Viacom vs Youtube

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
As alot of you know,Viacom is sueing Youtube for those "Copyright Infrigement" videos and my main question is,how much percent do you think there is that Youtube will win or Viacom?

Luke

Reaction score
70% Youtube, seeing as it wasn't actually them who put the video up. Yes, they distributed it but unwittingly (it could be argued), and there was little way they had control of who puts up what. I don't know if youtube does this but i'd expect people agree when posting a video that they have copyright. If they lost they'd probably just get fined, have to remove all videos and be told to put better control measures in place. The bottom line is that Youtube make so much money that it pays them to let people put up whatever content and deal with repercussions later, i doubt there'd be that money as short clips make great promotion and free advertising. Infact i would guess that maybe Youtube might settle this to stop any other companies taking similar action if Viacom won.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Well,there's hardly a good chance that Youtube will win,because Viacom seems to always have control.

Luke

Reaction score
Well Youtube is owned by Google now so they are two massive companies so i don't think either are stronger, and it kinda seemed obvious their defence was to blame the user, as they traced their username and handed it over. It could be argued that Youtube should have better security measures but then they could also say its beyond reasonable expectations to filter or moderate millions of videos which they accept on good faith - so basically, they did all they could, when they have been alerted to copyrighted stuff they have removed it, and even passed on the details of the person using their site to break the law. Therefore, i disagree!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
This could be a short victory for Viacom. But with the invention on the internet and downloading it's virtually impossible to eber put an end to this, so it's a loosing battle in the long run. They are just going to have to get with it because no amaont of money can put an end to whats about to occur from now on. No matter what they are going to be forced to settled because it the future and they will have to come with grips that this is how money will be made from now on. Basically there is no was to control this or keep tabes on it. It's like the invention of video tape and casette where these companies were worried about people not paying money so see their stuff because you could recoerd it for free then later that's where the mojority of their money is made. The compact disk made it eaiser to caop stuff the anything ever had the that is the big money maker now. Downloading is the eaiest thing in the world ever created and the quailty is as good as it gets with the bootlegiest of them. So this is the future of movies, mosic and everything completly. It's giong to completly over take and over ride any new format. This is it for movies, music, everything. And like always it the industry is always the slowist at accepting it and getting used to it. There are the people who tried to stop the use of sheet music because it was seen as some sort of capy right infrengment. So this is nothing new people. You just have to baer with it is all. But they never win and it always becomes the rule rather then the exeption so to speak.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, that woulds make more sense, but it seems to be nither, so that would make it the ruleception.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I just hope that Viacom doesn't take over Youtube if they win.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Maybe they can come to some sort of agreement or something?