Urgent! Ostrich Feathers

BorkBork

Reaction score
Hi!

This is pretty urgent. I am buying feathers today, so i need to know some things.

Can i dye them? What type of dye do i use?

I am working on an animal puppet...is there anyone who knows how i attatch the feathers? simply glue is what i thought. Am i right?

/Anders

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yes, you can dye "real" feathers (fake ones don't really work very well). We usually buy light coloured ones if we are dying them bright colours. The best way I know of to attach feathers (without getting in to complicated wig-making techniques) is to carefully hot glue them on.

BorkBork

Reaction score
well, it's not that urgent after all, I haven't quit got the animal puppet right yet. I am so anxious to learn how to build puppets/muppets, but it's so hard to get it right on my own sometimes. I just wish there was some puppetmakingclasses near me. Oh, well...

The feathers i have found are these...Picture here

/Anders

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver,

I also have bought Feathers like the ones in Anders picture.

Can you tell me how to make a wig out of it please ?

I really want to make a full head of hair, But have no idea how to go about making it.

Thanks

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Re: Buck-Beaver,

Hi Warrick,

There are tons of different ways to make wigs, from "quick and dirty" methods up to the techniques pro wig makers use. The technique you use really depends on the design of the puppet, what materials you have available and how much time you are willing (or able) to spend on it.

I've personally found that hot glue works well, although you have to be careful not to drip any accidently on your puppet's "skin" and there is always the chance the feathers could loosen if you use it for long periods of time under very hot lights.

A good way to get more ideas for yourself would be to look up wig making books or books on theatrical make-up techniques on amazon.com or at your local library.