Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dont like the idea of a real theatrical Muppet movie doing any spoofs, as that seems more fodder for the made for tv stuff.
You look at the first three Muppet films, and there was no spoofs or references really to movies or tv.

Im guessing this is a very very early draft:smile:
I'm hoping it's an early draft. I think we've got something good so far, but they need to take out some of those things like the Comedy Central Roast and the Swingers reference, and I agree, Pepe SHOULD have a more substantial part, right up there with the classic characters (one of the things that made VMX work). The parodies seem out of place, and what made VMX not really work as good as it should have.

But so far, I'm pretty pleased with the general idea.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is the first time I read a review of a movie script before production officially begins, so I don't know how common such things are, but this sounds like an early april fools joke to me. As if they celebrate the holiday two weeks early, and don't say "april fools" at the end.

It's hard to beleive that Pepe will only have three lines. I know that the writers want it to be more like The Muppet Show and classic movies, but Disney should step in and order them to include more Pepe, and more characters from The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight. Then again, I wonder if Jason Segal is obsessive enought o know who performs who. If Pepe has only a small role, then I hope they know Bill Barretta also performs Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Lew Zealand, and The Swedish Chef, and gives them all plenty of lines and scenes (okay, The Swedish Chef doesn't have to have too big of a part, and I guess Lew Zealand can be used sparringly).

I've heard on an episode of The MuppetCast that Segal wants a scene with as many characters a spossible. If that's still in the script, then I hope that kind of scene includes Johnny Fiama, Sal, Clifford, Bobo, Seymour, Dr. Phil van Neuter, Nigel, Leon, Digit, Flash, Beard, Bean Bunny, and Lindbergh. I don't know how likely it will be that Brian Henson will perform in this (he hasn't performed in any Muppet productions since The Muppets Wizard of Oz, and even then he was jsut a voice), or how likely Sal will be recast (maybe David Rudman can take over), but I hope that the Muppets Tonight characters that have been used since that show's cancellation don't go the way of most Jim Henson Hour characters (who I want to see return). And I wodner if Rizzo wil have a big part.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I think the title needs to be changed. It's funny but seems... a little self-indulgent on Segel and Stoller's part. Then again, maybe it'll work - a title as ridiculous (and they know it's ridiculous) as that will certainly be joked about by the characters.

Either way, this sounds really great already. I'm sure Pepe will be in it for more than three lines.

Also, I LOVE the idea of ending the entire thing to "Mahna Mahna".

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I lot of that seems good! I especially love Rowlf workin' a Cat-Kinko's.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Then again, I wonder if Jason Segal is obsessive enought o know who performs who. If Pepe has only a small role, then I hope they know Bill Barretta also performs Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Lew Zealand, and The Swedish Chef, and gives them all plenty of lines and scenes (okay, The Swedish Chef doesn't have to have too big of a part, and I guess Lew Zealand can be used sparringly).
Why wouldn't they know? :confused: I mean it seems more than a bit odd to be making a movie and not know something as basic as that :smile:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Hmmm. Sounds "Ok" but, I bet Disney calls in ghost writers to punch it up.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I've been reading the article, and I have to say that this movie is going to be...awesome. Yeah.

Though I do agree with the author about the finale being a bit too "small compared to the finales of The Muppet Movie and The Muppets Take Manhattan" (the Mahna Mahna number that is).

I hope they do stretch out the plot a bit more, and maybe even throw in more Muppets beyond the core group (Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Emmet Otter, even Sam and Friends, commercials, and the SNL Gorch segments).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Looks very promising, I just hope it's legit!

I don't mind if Pepe takes a bit of a back seat. The classic characters have had to for a long time. :wink:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
What I like about the "Teaser" above is that it seems to be centering around a true nod to the original Muppet Show. With guest stars and the muppets trying to put on a show. Still, it's hard to read this second hand input and get a clear understanding. I couldn't help but to laugh at Beauregard's comment.