Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

Redsonga

Reaction score
*hee* It would be funny if Scooter had a big supporting part and became the next really popular muppet :big_grin:

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Yippee Skippee! I can't wait to see this! When it's filmed. Rowlf working at Kinkos with cats. Funny!:smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't know something doesn't seem right about this at all. This is to much news to soon, and I don't think Dave or Gonzo or even any of the other Muppet writers would have wrote this. The way Gonzo was talking about Muppet Chirstmas Carol and Muppets from Space seemed off to me. Anyone else think so?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I was wondering who the person talking was to..it would be sad if this is just someone's fanfic :frown:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I was wondering who the person talking was to..it would be sad if this is just someone's fanfic :frown:
Yes it would be sad, and it would also be sad it we took this as gosple truth. In every Muppet interview or anything the Muppets have always talked positivly about there movies. Also If it was Gonzo then he must have had a huge jolt of memory because when asked who Jim Henson was, on Season Two of the Muppet Show he was un clear i think. I also don't think that the way he refured to the Muppets at the very first would be something Gonzo would say either. The Muppets are Gonzo's family, and he would not talk about them the way this pices was written. I hate to really say this but I think someone is pulliing our leg.

I also just emailed the person who posted this, now I hope that if he did write all this or has some kind of connections that he will come clean. I mean If this is really true that is great, but after reading it, and knowing the Muppets and how the things they do work, I just don't think this is true.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I think the original poster set himself up for confusion by not really making it clear where he was cutting and pasting the article from - this was from Ain't It Cool News which typically discussed scripts and films/shows while they're still in production (or pre-production) - The person writing the article was just using The Great Gonzo as a fan handle - if you were reading this for the first time on aicn, you would be more likely to get that - without that introduction (and with the way the thread is titled), it's a bit easier for us here to think that this was somehow from an interview with Dave Goelz or Gonzo (esp since he was part of the recent Disney/Muppets panel)...it should not be thought of as implying that it actually is from DG or Gonzo or any of Gonzo's writers etc.

Anyway, hopefully that clears up that before it becomes the main thing this thread ends up being about for pages and pages!

The timing on this is pretty funny for me too as i was also wondering about "hey how's that Segal script comin' along" and also because i've recently thought of what it is that has basically made "The Muppet Movie" THE muppet movie (and to a certain extend GMC) - they were just all around written, directed and performed as just all around classic comedy films - just timeless wackiness. TMM or GMC could very easily air during the evening on Comedy Central for example and feel like it belongs there. MCC, MTI, MFS and even TMTM don't really have that whole tone. I think that's an interesting scale that could be used to judge any new Muppet film by...does the overall finished project seem like something you could tune into late at night on your favorite comedy station not only now but five, ten, 20 years from now?

It is sounding good but then it's really hard to get a sense of how well "it would work" when you're reading a review of a script as opposed to the script itself...but of course this would be if not the very first, an early draft of the movie - and all movies go through all sorts of drafts and changes along the way - it's just the nature of the beast. That's part of why Ain't It Cool News exists - to act as a barometer of if something being worked on sounds like it will eventually succeed, needs to be seriously changed, or scrapped altogether. As the script undergoes its natural growth cycle, the writers working on it (Segal as well as the existing Muppet writers who would be taking passes at it) would be expected to examine how legit they think the reviewer's pros and cons are and make changes/keep things in accordingly.

Some of you who's been around a long time know i collect scripts. Mainly because i love how they reflect the whole creative process and getting a snapshot of what was envisioned at an early stage and what ended up changing. This sounds like an excellent first draft - but it also is a first draft and _IDEALLY_ will continue to get better and better with each draft (though that's not always the case - as we all know from MFS and MWOO) So if these are the initial blueprints, the final construction should really be breathtaking.

unclematt

Reaction score
I dont know how I missed this until now but if that is all that is wrong with the script and they are still making changes to make it better than this sounds like it really could be the return of the Muppets we have been waiting for.

beaker

Reaction score
Im kind of confused...

IMDB lists "get him to the greek", as the only Stoller/Segal film coming out in 2010:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226229/

It'd be unfortunate if this doesn't get made for some time.

I also do not like how Pepe only has a cameo, given he is now accepted as the main core of the Muppets. Another gripe is how it doesn't seem to encompass a lot of other characters. If this is suppose to be "back to the Muppet Show/Movie" feel, why is there so many 90's-current movie spoofs?

I dont like the idea of a real theatrical Muppet movie doing any spoofs, as that seems more fodder for the made for tv stuff.
You look at the first three Muppet films, and there was no spoofs or references really to movies or tv.

Im guessing this is a very very early draft:smile:

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Im kind of confused...

IMDB lists "get him to the greek", as the only Stoller/Segal film coming out in 2010:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226229/

It'd be unfortunate if this doesn't get made for some time.
Under 2010 there's an "Untitled Muppet Project" listed - you can't access the page for it yet, and thus Segel and Stoller aren't listed - but it's there. When the movie starts production we should start to see people's names being listed.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
1. It wouldn't bother me if Gonzo "suddenly" remembered Jim Henson. I figured it was a gag, since at other times they make puppeteer jokes. Also, they had already had the Muppets Remember Jim Henson thingie ... so it's hard to swallow they don't know who he is NOW.

You look at the first three Muppet films, and there was no spoofs or references really to movies or tv.
2. Really? Honestly? Even if I don't understand what's being referenced ... they're full of homages and spoofs.