Underrated TMS Episodes

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I don't think this topic has been disnussed in this forum so it doesn't have a secret all the time. I think the Spike Milligan episode was underated. Then again, I might be wrong. What TMS episodes are considered underated?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Really nice thread you made here, muppetfan24/7, cool thing to discuss. If you ask me, S04ep18, Christopher Reeve, is pretty underated, and proabably overshadowed by its Star Wars predeccessor episode. But, the TMS episode I think is the most UNDERATED of all time is S3ep10, Marisa Berenson. The actor's two numbers are really good, and the plot is awesome, including one of the funniest endings in TMS history. Honestly, this episode gets way too little praise, that the first time around I thought it'd be an okay or meh episode considering how little I've heard of it. It had me in tears laughing from beginning to end, honestly I can't believe how little people praise it. Besides those two, here are some other underated episodes.
  • Don Knotts
  • Mummenschanz
  • Jaye P. Morgan
  • Cloris Leachmen

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I feel like the episodes with Elke Sommers and Lesley Ann Warren are among the best underrated episodes. They both feature a good amount of segments with minor/obscure characters. Elke Sommers has two numbers with Bobby Benson's Baby Band, Louis Kazagger, a two-part Pigs in Space segment, a backstage plot involving Beauregard and Beaker, and some decent stuff with the guest star. While Lesley Ann Warren has one big thing that's often featured in retrospectives and such (Gonzo's motorcycle act), it also has a great number with Dr. Teeth (which doubles as perhaps his only interaction with Dr. Teeth), appearances by Doglion and Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphone, and three great numbers with the guest star.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I feel like the episodes with Elke Sommers and Lesley Ann Warren are among the best underrated episodes. They both feature a good amount of segments with minor/obscure characters. Elke Sommers has two numbers with Bobby Benson's Baby Band, Louis Kazagger, a two-part Pigs in Space segment, a backstage plot involving Beauregard and Beaker, and some decent stuff with the guest star. While Lesley Ann Warren has one big thing that's often featured in retrospectives and such (Gonzo's motorcycle act), it also has a great number with Dr. Teeth (which doubles as perhaps his only interaction with Dr. Teeth), appearances by Doglion and Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphone, and three great numbers with the guest star.
After watching the Elke Sommer episode, I can say, yes it is underated, it's a really neat episode. It seems to me like the episodes of TMS that got "Best of TMS" releases can't really be considered "underated", but that's just what I think.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After watching the Elke Sommer episode, I can say, yes it is underated, it's a really neat episode. It seems to me like the episodes of TMS that got "Best of TMS" releases can't really be considered "underated", but that's just what I think.
If the criteria for an "underratted" episode being that it was not included in "The Best of TMS" releases (and the two I listed were not), then the first season has a lot of underrated episodes. Paul Williams, Avery Scrieber, Kaye Ballard, Ethel Merman, Connie Stevens, Valerie Harper... But otherwise I really don't consider most of those to be underrated (well, maybe Valerie Harper and Kaye Ballard).

I also think of the Joel Grey, Peter Ustinov, Lena Horne, and Phyllis Diller episodes as underrated. The Joel Grey episode is the first one after the first two pilots. The first two episodes had material cut and replaced before they aired to make them stronger episodes, but the Joel Grey one didn't, but I like a lot the rather "raw" early feel of this episode. All of the numbers are great, the Sherlock Holmes sketch is very funny, but the backstage plot is kind of weak, and there is a bit of "early installment weirdness" regarding Miss Piggy, mainly that she doesn't have much personality and her roles could have easily been given to anybody (the same can be said for most of Miss Piggy's scenes in the first 6 or so episodes).

Muppet Master

Reaction score
If the criteria for an "underratted" episode being that it was not included in "The Best of TMS" releases (and the two I listed were not), then the first season has a lot of underrated episodes. Paul Williams, Avery Scrieber, Kaye Ballard, Ethel Merman, Connie Stevens, Valerie Harper... But otherwise I really don't consider most of those to be underrated (well, maybe Valerie Harper and Kaye Ballard).

I also think of the Joel Grey, Peter Ustinov, Lena Horne, and Phyllis Diller episodes as underrated. The Joel Grey episode is the first one after the first two pilots. The first two episodes had material cut and replaced before they aired to make them stronger episodes, but the Joel Grey one didn't, but I like a lot the rather "raw" early feel of this episode. All of the numbers are great, the Sherlock Holmes sketch is very funny, but the backstage plot is kind of weak, and there is a bit of "early installment weirdness" regarding Miss Piggy, mainly that she doesn't have much personality and her roles could have easily been given to anybody (the same can be said for most of Miss Piggy's scenes in the first 6 or so episodes).
That is true, the Joel Grey episode doesn't get much credit. Even if season 1 has a "raw" look as you said, I'm still rather fond to a lot of their episodes, but it's really all those weak backstage plots that make episodes like Sandy Duncan or Candice Bergen worse, in my opinion, then they should be. Actually from episode 16 of season 1 through the end, season 1 is pretty good, and if it weren't for the deformed looks of the muppets it could easily pass as a season 2 episode. Also, as I'm wrapping up season 3 of TMS (now I've seen all of S1-3 of TMS :smile:) I'm beginning to see loads of underated TMS episodes, particularly the one I saw yesterday, the Lynn Redgrave episode. Before MMW, I never even heard of that episode in my life, and it's still such a good one! It's easily one of the top 5 best of the season! I mean when I saw Constantine was watching TMS in the theater, I bet that the episode he was watching would be one I've heard of, but I thought it was a MADE-UP episode when I heard the guest star! :eek: I wonder why that's not a very popular episode.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That is true, the Joel Grey episode doesn't get much credit. Even if season 1 has a "raw" look as you said, I'm still rather fond to a lot of their episodes, but it's really all those weak backstage plots that make episodes like Sandy Duncan or Candice Bergen worse, in my opinion, then they should be. Actually from episode 16 of season 1 through the end, season 1 is pretty good, and if it weren't for the deformed looks of the muppets it could easily pass as a season 2 episode.
Yeah, it seems like it's mostly the first half of the first season with "raw feeling" episodes, with a few "stronger feeling" episodes here and there, and a few more "raw feeling" episodes near the end of the season, especially episode 24. Of course, that's most likely a result of the production order and taping order being different. And as a result of being reworked before broadcast, the first two episodes feel like a hybrid of "raw" and "stronger" episodes.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like it's mostly the first half of the first season with "raw feeling" episodes, with a few "stronger feeling" episodes here and there, and a few more "raw feeling" episodes near the end of the season, especially episode 24. Of course, that's most likely a result of the production order and taping order being different. And as a result of being reworked before broadcast, the first two episodes feel like a hybrid of "raw" and "stronger" episodes.
Actually, I don't think episode 24 has a "raw" feeling. The backstage plot was strong for a season 1 episode (Gonzo trying to get a date with Piggy), here are the episodes, in my opinion, that don't have a "raw" feeling.

• Episode 104
  • Episode 105
  • Episode 106
  • Episode 107
  • Episode 116
  • Episode 117
  • Episode 118
  • Episode 119
  • Episode 120
  • Episode 121
  • Episode 122
  • Episode 123
  • Episode 124

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I disagree about a few of those episodes not having the raw feeling I've mentioned, but I guess we can all have different opinions on that. Though just because an episode feels very "raw" doesn't mean that it's a terrible episode.

As for other underrated episodes, I feel like the Teresa Brewer episode is underrated. I recall many years ago somebody at Tough Pigs mentioned that one as being the perfect episode to use to introduce people to the second season, as it has almost the entire primary season 2 cast and most of the seasons recurring sketches (there's no Vets Hospital, but Piggy does appear in her nurse scrubs).

The Roy Clark one is also great. I think the only sketch in that one that I don't care much for is Roy's second number. Also Jean Stapleton. Doesn't seem like a well-remembered episode, but pretty much all the sketches are great. Both of Annie Sue's numbers in this one are among her greatest acts on the show.

I haven't seen all of the episode with Kenny Rogers, but I get the feeling that one might be underrated.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I disagree about a few of those episodes not having the raw feeling I've mentioned, but I guess we can all have different opinions on that. Though just because an episode feels very "raw" doesn't mean that it's a terrible episode.

As for other underrated episodes, I feel like the Teresa Brewer episode is underrated. I recall many years ago somebody at Tough Pigs mentioned that one as being the perfect episode to use to introduce people to the second season, as it has almost the entire primary season 2 cast and most of the seasons recurring sketches (there's no Vets Hospital, but Piggy does appear in her nurse scrubs).

The Roy Clark one is also great. I think the only sketch in that one that I don't care much for is Roy's second number. Also Jean Stapleton. Doesn't seem like a well-remembered episode, but pretty much all the sketches are great. Both of Annie Sue's numbers in this one are among her greatest acts on the show.

I haven't seen all of the episode with Kenny Rogers, but I get the feeling that one might be underrated.
I agree, the Teresa Brewer episode is pretty hilarious, I love Miss Piggy trying to lose weight. I also like the Roy Clark episode as well as the Jean Stapleton especially her "I'm Just Wild About Harry" number. I tend to judge a TMS episode more for the plot and sketches than the guest star, but I feel episodes such as the John Cleese and Alice Cooper ones are awesome, because of the guest stars. Anyways, I watched the final episode of TMS season 3, that makes three full seasons of TMS watched :smile: (NOW ON TO SEASON 4).