Underrated Movies

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.....There, I said it.

Adam: I'm a frog.
Billy: You ooze you lose.
Kimberly: Tommy get your butt down here!
Tommy: Lets do it guys. It's moprhin time!
Aisha: Lead on fly boys.
Rocky: So....Hungry?

Lord Zedd: Finally someone shut her up.
Rita Repulsa: Finally, a real man.
Ivan Ooze: Of all the things that I have missed. The Black Plague, the Spanish Inquisition, the Brady Bunch reunion.....
Goldar: You think she's cute too, huh?

Skull: You hungry?
Bulk: Always.
agreed 100%

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
That said, considering Dark Knight did leaps and bounds over Batman Begins, I'm disappointed they didn't give Supes a second chance after Superman Returns didn't do as well as they hoped it would have, but it was far from a real flop. There was to be a Justice League movie, but that died when the strike happened. Wonder Woman is left in limbo, no thanks to more studio shenanigans... something about not making a female the star of an action movie no thanks to stink films like Aeon Fluxx and Underworld. And yet, I find it ridiculous they would think a Jonah hex movie would take off. Maybe it's because they had to turn it into a Megan Fox sexy sexy picture.:eek:
Well, Warner Bros. does intend to make a new Superman movie that Christopher Nolan will be producing. Also I've heard rumors that they do hope to make a Justice League movie in a similar vein to Marvel's Avengers movie.

As for Joneh Hex, it may have been flop (critically and financially) but at least it shows that WB are finally branching out beyond just Superman and Batman. Hopefully Green Lantern will be a better hit for them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand...

Doug's First(and apparently only) Movie- Now, I get the whole Nick Doug > Disney Doug... but I'm one of the few people that actually liked Disney Doug, albeit to a lesser extent... but not that lesser. Anyway, it manages to spend the movie resolving a running theme in the (Disney) series, the Monster of Lucky Duck lake. And of course, they managed to fit Quayleman into the film... and that's major points with me.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand...

Doug's First(and apparently only) Movie- Now, I get the whole Nick Doug > Disney Doug... but I'm one of the few people that actually liked Disney Doug, albeit to a lesser extent... but not that lesser. Anyway, it manages to spend the movie resolving a running theme in the (Disney) series, the Monster of Lucky Duck lake. And of course, they managed to fit Quayleman into the film... and that's major points with me.
I'll have to agree with you, but only ever so slightly. This movie is one I have attachment to from my early high school years. During freshmen year, I wrote this really dumb movie script to annoy my friend that was essentially Doug's 1st Movie word-for-word with all the names changed to become a parody of that Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide show that was on Nickelodeon at the time (why I thought Ned and Doug would mesh, beats me...) and then we finally sat down and watched the movie at his house one night with his thirteen year old sister in tow and we just tore the movie to shreds MST3K style. We still make jokes about Guy three years later ("I told you Doug was a liar, now kiss me!"). So this is one I have personal attachment to. To be fair, it's still a pleasant movie I guess.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But it really doesn't have the same heft as Recess: School's Out or Teacher's Pet. Now those 2 films were pretty deep. I really do love Recess's film. Especially Mrs. Finster's action hero line "HEY! Teacher! leave them kids alone!"

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
real quick about Dark Knight....first i love the film but i feel what gave it more of the Hype was the Passing of Heath Ledger...i "argue" with my friend that once it was known this was his last full film that people who were never going to go see it filled the theatres just the see Heath Ledger

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people believe that the death of Ledger was the main contributing factor of Dark Knight's success, but I'm not that morbid-minded. I looked forward to seeing his remarkable effort long before he passed. Also, this is the closest live action telling of the iconic character in my view. I love Jack Nicholson and his Joker, but that version was akin to a theme park caricature rather than a true embodiment. I admire both films for different reasons. No one can beat the visual style of Burton’s Batman…ever.

Every blockbuster film is overrated by its very nature, but if there’s a recent successful film that’s deserving of such saturated praise it’s The Dark Knight. It’s such a robust cinematic experience. I always feel that most pictures could be leaner and this one is no exception, but there isn’t more than 5 minutes that I’d have cut. That says something seeing how I would have gutted the last Lord of the Rings film. I understand why they included the last 20 minutes, but they were needless to the cinematic experience and best suited for DVD extras.

On another note, I found Nolan’s Inception to be extremely overrated and it’s my least favorite of his otherwise fantastic filmography to date. It was enjoyable, but not noteworthy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know a lot of people believe that the death of Ledger was the main contributing factor of Dark Knight's success, but I'm not that morbid-minded. I looked forward to seeing his remarkable effort long before he passed. Also, this is the closest live action telling of the iconic character in my view. I love Jack Nicholson and his Joker, but that version was akin to a theme park caricature rather than a true embodiment. I admire both films for different reasons. No one can beat the visual style of Burton’s Batman…ever.
There are just SOOOOO many ways to interpret a character like the Joker. And I really think TDK managed to make him the more dark sociopathic variety you'd see in more recent comics. For me, my top three Jokers have to be Caesar Romero, Mark Hamil and Heath Ledger. Jack being honorable mention. Honestly, the fact that he's dead had nothing to do with why I liked his Joker... he just played it his own way (or at least Nolan's way) and it was different than what the common movie goer and casual Batfan would come to expect. That said, there was NO call for Tommy Lee Jones's Twoface to be a surrogate Joker in Batman Forever. They basically made him an over the top cartoony Joker-esque partner for the Riddler, instead of making him the dark, angry figure he really is. At least Dark Knight managed to do him justice for the small amount of time he was on the screen.

But on the subject of Batman movies, the most underrated ones were made as big screen versions of TV shows... Batman 1966 (Howlingly funny, almost too good to be camp... "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!") and Batman Mask of the Phantasm (which I never saw... :sympathy: and I REALLY wanted to when it was on the big screen), one of the few times a cartoon that had been on the air had a theatrically released movie.

Really... Japan kicks our butts at that. I'd see even a third rate Saturday Morning cartoon I sort of like on the big screen if I had the chance.

On another note, I found Nolan’s Inception to be extremely overrated and it’s my least favorite of his otherwise fantastic filmography to date. It was enjoyable, but not noteworthy.
Didn't see that, but it seems he must've borrowed HEAVILY from the Japanese film Paprika, which I finally got the chance to see. One of the wildest films ever, crazy mind screwing stuff. Plus, well... there's a rumor going around that he might have also stole (or at least unwittingly paralleled) an old Scrooge McDuck comic, in which the Beagles steal a machine of Gyro's (also intended for Psychiatric use) to go into Scrooge's dreams and get Scrooge to tell him the combination of his vault safe. There was some stupid link on Yahoo or something, and one thing lead to another, I read the whole thing online. Great read, by the way.

But did Inception even do all that well? I hardly noticed anything really successful this year, as Hollywood fumbled yet again, putting everything out in May and June, leaving July a barren month.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Inception has made $700M worldwide and 280 of that is US box office. I found it entertaining, but forgettable.

Burton's entire introduction of the Joker was incorrect and Nicholson admitted that he let the makeup do most of the performance for him. I suppose that's why it was more surface-oriented. The Joker really isn't supposed to even have one particular origin nor are we ever to know his real name. But if he did have an origin, it was not as the man who killed Bruce's parents.

The superhero film that was over-hyped, underperformed and therefore is now underrated was last year's Watchmen. It wasn't perfect, but it is a beautiful piece of cinema that few audience members could really appreciate.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
im not saying thats why everyone went to see it , but i feel that a small chunk did...i could be wrong...im a huge batman fan so i also was waiting for the movie before Heath Ledger died