Under-used guest stars

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Thread for commentaries on guest stars you would've liked to see more out of in their appearances on "The Muppet Show". Some of mine:

-Kenny Rogers: the only guest star I'd ever heard of before knowing he was on TMS, I listened to a lot of his music and was very disappointed when they only had him do two songs, the latter of which only included one verse and too many repeats of the refrain

-Crystal Gayle: again, could've used another song

-Zero Mostel: why have a big Broadway musical star on the show and not give him a big Broadway musical-style closing number?

-Jonathan Winters: no offense to him, but only one act on stage and two (presumably) improvised dressing room scenes, plus a little bit at the end? Hardly seemed present.

-Alan Arkin: I LOVE his episode, but I do kinda feel bad that he wasn't allowed to do a great deal other than gyrate back and forth from sweet to sour (though I do think he came off well when he wasn't in Mr. Hyde mode)

-Cheryl Ladd: I think just more interaction with the cast, even just walking offstage after her number and exchanging pleasantries with Kermit. Something as small as that can make it seem like the guest is much more a part of the show, whereas if it's missing then the guest can seem much more removed and remote.

-Judy Collins: same as Cheryl Ladd

What are yours?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
you know i've felt that way about allot of the guests on the show over the years..even on muppets tonight...but seriously if a guest is around don't you think you'd be seeing them backstage more talking to kermit or scooter atleast or something.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
you know i've felt that way about allot of the guests on the show over the years..even on muppets tonight...but seriously if a guest is around don't you think you'd be seeing them backstage more talking to kermit or scooter atleast or something.
Yeah, on Muppets Tonight the guests were over-used more often.

David French

Reaction score
I think one of the big things is that the guests were only a small part of the show; the Muppets were the stars and the Humans had to play second fiddle. Don't forget that one of the key reasons the show was successful was because the guest stars played against type (if you like).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want to say I feel Robin Willaims is underused, since he was only on Sesame Street, and he would have worked wonders with the Muppets.