Uncle Grandpa

Drtooth

Reaction score
I complained about Arthur's uninspired "too short to ride on a rollercoaster" episode, but Uncle Grandpa found a great twist. Have Pizza Steve not be able to get on a ride named after him. Loved the gag about the Uncle Grandpa walkabout taking its head off in front of a kid.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I complained about Arthur's uninspired "too short to ride on a rollercoaster" episode, but Uncle Grandpa found a great twist. Have Pizza Steve not be able to get on a ride named after him. Loved the gag about the Uncle Grandpa walkabout taking its head off in front of a kid.
Plus, he was forced onto the ride again in the end when he got all stretched out from trying to stop it, making him tall enough after all.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Delightful torture style irony. All that Arthur episode got going for it was David Read's Bob Newhart-esque one sided phone conversation.

I really don't get CN's "remove a show from the rotation for a few months only to run a full week of them while removing another show," model. The only show not to get saddled with this is (obviously) TTG, and somehow it distrupts the flow of the series, especially if it's continuity heavy. Thankfully UG isn't, but still. Though I have to admit, the commercial they've made promoting this UG "event" was creative and fun. Done in a really local used car/furniture/bargain outlet style complete with graphical errors and poorly used effects. That and the UG DVD Vol 2 one done as a breakfast cereal commercial. Nice to see they're having some fun promoting Uncle Grandpa with wacky, perfectly in tone with the show commercials like that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...uh... Did Belly Bag just make the joke I think he did? That's even dirtier than when Dot Warner refused to "finger Prince." :crazy:

LOVED the obsessive fan episode. While I've always liked the Uncle Grandpa likes helping kids episodes, I love the Uncle Grandpa helps those who don't realize they need help ones even more. That's what I love about the series and this character. He's a magnificent b&^%$rd that full well knows how to handle those situations, and the solo episodes where he comes off as an idiot are all an act. Curing an obsessive fan by destroying all his stuff himself, knowing full well that it would get him angry enough to no longer like Uncle Grandpa? This is one of the most ingenious episodes ever. And with Billy West as the nerd, too.

Loved the mind-blowing Xarna finale as well.

mr3urious

Reaction score
...uh... Did Belly Bag just make the joke I think he did? That's even dirtier than when Dot Warner refused to "finger Prince." :crazy:
I fell out of my chair when he made that mail order bride joke, too. :smile:

LOVED the obsessive fan episode. While I've always liked the Uncle Grandpa likes helping kids episodes, I love the Uncle Grandpa helps those who don't realize they need help ones even more. That's what I love about the series and this character. He's a magnificent b&^%$rd that full well knows how to handle those situations, and the solo episodes where he comes off as an idiot are all an act. Curing an obsessive fan by destroying all his stuff himself, knowing full well that it would get him angry enough to no longer like Uncle Grandpa? This is one of the most ingenious episodes ever. And with Billy West as the nerd, too.

Loved the mind-blowing Xarna finale as well.
Don't forget the MLP reference. I had a feeling UG would be a brony... or an equesticle, if you prefer. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm jealous of that nerd' Uncle Grandpa collection. Mainly because outside of 4 comic books and a couple single volume DVD's, there really isn't anything. Give us a Happy Meal toy at least.

Loved how the tree one was mild deconstruction of the series. A talking slice of pizza and dinosaur refuses to believe a tree could talk. Especially the ending that completely flips the concept. It's a clear parody of "Flat Earth Atheism."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow. Those Uncle Grandpa writers sure are giving it to the ponies lately.

I'm very excited about the next episode. Several short cartoons by other animators in their unique style. Supposedly Pen Ward is going to do one of them. Surprised John K isn't one of them (not really considering he's impossible to work with). Seems they're going for CN animators, specifically some from Mad.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The guest-animated episode was pretty enjoyable. I enjoyed the payoff of the time-traveling short, and liked how Pendleton Ward used his old-school B&W sketchbook style he started off with in the short he produced. And it was also neat how a guest-animated Adventure Time episode aired the same night. :smile:

On a somewhat unrelated note, I looked at the CN pilot Twelve Forever and I really enjoyed the concept. It's about a girl who outright refuses to grow up at an age where she's pressured to do so quickly, and transports herself to a magical island where she never has to. It uses a lot of bright colors in its art style, but not in an eye-searing way like Problem Solverz. Even though Wikipedia says this pilot was unsuccessful, I'm taking it with a grain of salt and hoping that CN does greenlight it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if there's an interesting side story about Pen Ward's addition to the special. It had that interesting "To Pete, Love Pen" title card. Just a great special all around and I really hope to see a second guest directed shorts in the future.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I looked at the CN pilot Twelve Forever and I really enjoyed the concept. It's about a girl who outright refuses to grow up at an age where she's pressured to do so quickly, and transports herself to a magical island where she never has to. It uses a lot of bright colors in its art style, but not in an eye-searing way like Problem Solverz. Even though Wikipedia says this pilot was unsuccessful, I'm taking it with a grain of salt and hoping that CN does greenlight it.
Yeah. CN somehow has it in for female viewers because someone still thinks it's 2005 and girls just want to watch Disney's horrible sitcoms (that frankly got worse since 2005, sans Girl Meets World, of course). How Steven Universe managed to get greenlit was a miracle in and of itself. I doubt they'd be in a rush to greenlight a cartoon starring a female lead. All the more reason I give credit to Disney for Star vs. The Forces of Evil. But with all this talk of how such and such is offensive to feminists and crap like that, how come CN manages to get off Scott free when they still manage to have it in for girls who watch cartoons? Steven Universe is a sign of progress no doubt, and hopefully it's huge fanbase continues to motivate the show. But it stinks that they refuse to have a show with a female lead. Though the joke's on them as most cartoons on the network deal with romantic relationships. Especially Regular Show.

That or they figure they're in a good enough place right now with their shows. While I'm very happy for the success of their programming (..sigh...even TTG) that they didn't have to pull any stunt programming like CNReal or Lame Internet Thing that was barely funny to begin with. Still kinda annoyed by Sonic Boom and RID getting lame time slots. Seems that their other shows in the wings haven't budged either. Still no word on Wabbit or Be Cool, Scooby-Doo (both I'm mixed about), and 2 Canadian based shows got scuttled off to Boomerang (in the case of Numb Chucks, it's for the best). Maybe they're not looking to expand their show line up.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems that their other shows in the wings haven't budged either. Still no word on Wabbit or Be Cool, Scooby-Doo (both I'm mixed about), and 2 Canadian based shows got scuttled off to Boomerang (in the case of Numb Chucks, it's for the best). Maybe they're not looking to expand their show line up.
Supposedly those two are also supposed to premiere on Boomerang.