Uncle Grandpa

Drtooth

Reaction score
...well, that was special, I guess. I'm going to preserve me love of the show by saying that episode was self parody and exaggerated. The characters were really off model, and UG was just... completely stupid. And somehow, the ending seemed like a cop-out. Like it should have been a dream or something.

But I loved the Video Dating Service cartoon.

mr3urious

Reaction score
...well, that was special, I guess. I'm going to preserve me love of the show by saying that episode was self parody and exaggerated. The characters were really off model, and UG was just... completely stupid. And somehow, the ending seemed like a cop-out. Like it should have been a dream or something.

But I loved the Video Dating Service cartoon.
I did like the concept of a "trash realm", but I get what you mean about how wildly random this episode felt even knowing the show's tone. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered why Uncle Grandpa looked so much fatter than he normally does.

Maybe the writers got hit with amnesia just like UG? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's something about the show which I choose to take as a wink and a nod. Like the episode was a parody of itself or something. It felt like the resolution should have been that it was all a dream or so far in the future that UG's mind was screwed up or something. Maybe there was a couple not quite empty vodka bottles in his trash or something. He seemed not only dumber than usual, but drunk. The jokes really felt like they're making fun of the show itself. The "I'm a lightbulb" bit especially. Wouldn't it usually say "Good Morning."

Also noticed they're drawing him more like the wild style they use for the title cards. Especially his "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!" reaction.

I'm hoping this is a one time thing, and they go back to more deviously written goofiness for the next episode. Not that this was bad, just strange. The previous episode was brilliant. Something like that, where they use UG's reality warping as a plot device.

Speaking of last episode... is it just me, or was Kevin doing his Shredder voice with a slightly exaggerated Japanese Accent when UG had that imagine spot, realizing that he was the enemy in disguise. Probably unintentional, but I kinda dug that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay. The reason the episode looked off was because the decided to directly use the storyboard artist's art. Seems like it is indeed the same guy who does the title screens. Still doesn't explain the actual script.

EDIT: Previews of next week's episode look back to normal.

Also of note, the SU/UG crossover is going to be handled by the Steven Universe team. So UG's gonna look pretty interesting in that episode.

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I haven't watched this show in awhile, and so I watched the latest one.

Man, this is the weirdest show on the face of the planet.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Okay. The reason the episode looked off was because the decided to directly use the storyboard artist's art. Seems like it is indeed the same guy who does the title screens. Still doesn't explain the actual script.

EDIT: Previews of next week's episode look back to normal.

Also of note, the SU/UG crossover is going to be handled by the Steven Universe team. So UG's gonna look pretty interesting in that episode.
There's going to be a cross over in the show or comic? If comic i might have to check it out and find me a copy but hoping more for a show cross over.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't watched this show in awhile, and so I watched the latest one.

Man, this is the weirdest show on the face of the planet.
Not really the best episode to come back to. Oddly enough, the show was actually becoming a little more coherent and tame until that one.

After a while of being confused by it, I'm just loving the fact they let the storyboard artist go nuts with that one. I don't think any other show would go that completely off model and extreme because a story boarder has a unique style.

There's going to be a cross over in the show or comic? If comic i might have to check it out and find me a copy but hoping more for a show cross over.
It's totally going to be an episode/special. I'm thinking that if it is an episode, it might just be an SU episode, considering they're handling all the animation.

My theory? Somehow Steven manifests UG and crew into his world via unrealized Gem Power.

Drtooth

Reaction score
(Slaps head).

Okay, there's a very devious little hidden joke I just got...(mainly thanks to being able to see the screen shots better)

Here's the episode's title screen.

Look very carefully at what he's cuddling in that picture.

Then during the intermission segment between the main cartoon and the Video Dating bit, disembodied Uncle Grandpa head turns the main characters into...

Erine81981

Reaction score
I would have never caught that. Thanks for the post.

Cool to know it'll be an episode/special. Pretty cool and can't wait to see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering the title screen lasts like 5 seconds or so, it's hard to not miss it. I saw this episode twice already (it was on again Sunday), and missed it both times. That's the magic of the screen shot.

Anyway, I felt myself enjoying the episode much better the second time around. Partially because I knew what to expect. Then there's always the weird thing that happens to me where something's not really that funny the first time, but then it suddenly becomes hilarious when it somehow manages to crawl back into my mind and stay there.

I kept thinking "PIZZA STARVE!!! DR. FEEL-GOOSE!!!" all day Sunday.