UK Puppet Theatre Needs Help

KPrell

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've heard some sad news about a wonderful puppet theatre in London, the Little Angel Theatre in Islington. They've lost their core grant funding and if they don't find funding by September they may have to close their doors. The theatre was started by John and Lyndie Wright 40 years ago and is the only permanent puppet theatre in London. It's a beautiful little theatre in a quite mews. It has a proscenium and marionette bridge and has presented productions featuring many different styles of puppetry.

I've not only had the pleasure of seeing many wonderful performances there, but have also had the opportunity to write some of their productions. Mike Quinn and David Barclay even presented several puppet performance workshops there. Many British puppeteers and puppet builders who have worked on UK Henson productions have also worked there.

The theatre still has a few more performances this week and will also be doing a few more touring shows. If any London MC folk would like to show some support and attend some performances it would be very much appreciated. And if you or any children you know haven't seen much live puppet theatre, you're in for a treat!

There's more info on their website:

http://www.littleangeltheatre.com/

Thanks and long live the Little Angel!

Karen Prell

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know about this, karen!

This seems like just the sort of thing the fans here at MC can get behind. There is a bit more we can do, beyond going to one of the last performances. Letters can be written asking for support for the theater and expressing why it is important to save and maintain the theater. Letters should be addressed to:

Gerry Robinson
Chairman
The Arts Council
14 Great Peter Street
London SW1P 3NQ

Steve Hitchins
Leader of the Council
Islington Borough Council
70 St Peter's Street
London N1 8JS

Obviously, letters from people who actually live in London, or at least England, would be the most helpful.

You can also contact the theater about donating money:

Nick Murza (General Manager)
Loretta Howells (Theatre Producer)
Glen Alexander (Assistant Administrator)

Telephone: 020 7359 8581 Email: info@littleangeltheatre.com

This looks like a great puppet theater and it needs to be saved-- think of all the kids who may never see a live puppet show without it.....

KPrell

Reaction score
It looks like the Little Angel just added an online petition to their site, so if you're interested, add your names to the cause by going to

http://www.littleangeltheatre.com/

and clicking on the e-petition link.

thanks!

Karen

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Karen + Annika,

Hey,
i just wrote a letter and im gonna send it tout in the morning.

I had only just started finding out about the classes, shows and stuff !

I really hope it doesnt close, Its the only place where someone like me can go to do Puppetry classes, and It is a great Theatre !

See ya

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got this e-mail with some great news about the Little Angel Theatre. Looks like puppetry fans everywhere made a difference!

THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING US SAVE THE LITTLE ANGEL THEATRE!

Thousands of people from all over the world signed our petitions and we would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude to every one of you. Your support helped our campaign enormously and we are delighted to announce that we are opening our doors again this Autumn. (Details can be found on our web-site at www.littleangeltheatre.com)

We look forward to welcoming you!

All the best

Sue Dacre (on behalf of all at the Little Angel Theatre)

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Wow! Great to have some good news! Thanks for posting, Phillip. Let's hope all the Londoners around here get a chance to appreciate this in person.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Annika,

Yeah i got the email too !

Its great news !

See ya