Uh...that's WHAT,Telly?

Katzi428

Reaction score
Yesterday I paused on an episode of Sesame Street for a few minutes. Telly Rosita & Elmo were pretending to be Shape-Bots(wearing little outfits where they could make themselves into different shapes).So Chris remarked that when he was a kid, he would put his arms over his head to be a circle. Telly's response? :"Oh Chris....that's LAME!" Excuse me, writers of SS but you're writing for LITTLE KIDS!:mad: The ONLY definition of "lame" that they should know is when a person or animal has a bad leg! Telly should have said that it was "silly" if he didn't like Chris's idea. I can picture a little kid using the word "lame" with their parents or another adult the way Telly did & the parent or adult saying "Where did you hear that from?!" and the kid saying that Telly on Sesame Street said it so why couldn't he(or she?)
I'm kind of glad my 4 year old niece stopped watching SS when she did. (Play With Me Sesame was on the Sprout Channel while she was here & she showed hardly any interest)
What are your opinions?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well you're entitled to your opinion but I personally don't see the word "lame" as anything bad. It's hardly a curse word.

I grew up in the '80s, I heard the word "lame" all the time on TV and movies, lol. And I turned out fine, thank you. :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sorry Kath, but I have to disagree with you for once.

I mean, I know what you're saying, and you're right, that actually is the actual defintion of "lame", HOWEVER, the term "lame" is one of the MANY words in our vocabulary that has been taken out of context in recent times (like "literally", "epic", "ultimate", even "gay", etc)... the fact of the matter is, people don't even actually use the term "lame" to describe a person with a bad leg anymore, they're usually refered to now as "handicap" or "diabled", wheras "lame" is used to describe something that's pathetic, mediocre, lack-lusting, unimpressive, etc.

Again, it's all a matter of the context the word is used in.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I mean, I know what you're saying, and you're right, that actually is the actual defintion of "lame", HOWEVER, the term "lame" is one of the MANY words in our vocabulary that has been taken out of context in recent times
Actually according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, one of lame's definitions is "lacking needful or desirable substance." And that's not even the slang definition, so that's not out of context at all.

mo

Reaction score
lame is not a terrible word but i would wonder why three year olds would say it!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
lame is not a terrible word but i would wonder why three year olds would say it!
Well personally I would want my three-year-old to be able to judge if something is lame, or in other words "lacking in needful or desirable substance," hehe.

mo

Reaction score
if that's the definition for lame math homework is defiantly LAME!!!!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with the word lame. But to me it seems odd to hear Telly say it. Maybe I need to watch the segment and it'll sound better but lame to me just doesn't seem like a word that Tell would use.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with the word lame. But to me it seems odd to hear Telly say it. Maybe I need to watch the segment and it'll sound better but lame to me just doesn't seem like a word that Tell would use.
I can't picture the original version of Telly saying it, but the more recent one, yes.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Yesterday I paused on an episode of Sesame Street for a few minutes. Telly Rosita & Elmo were pretending to be Shape-Bots(wearing little outfits where they could make themselves into different shapes).So Chris remarked that when he was a kid, he would put his arms over his head to be a circle. Telly's response? :"Oh Chris....that's LAME!" Excuse me, writers of SS but you're writing for LITTLE KIDS!:mad: The ONLY definition of "lame" that they should know is when a person or animal has a bad leg! Telly should have said that it was "silly" if he didn't like Chris's idea. I can picture a little kid using the word "lame" with their parents or another adult the way Telly did & the parent or adult saying "Where did you hear that from?!" and the kid saying that Telly on Sesame Street said it so why couldn't he(or she?)
I'm kind of glad my 4 year old niece stopped watching SS when she did. (Play With Me Sesame was on the Sprout Channel while she was here & she showed hardly any interest)
What are your opinions?
Yeah it was a little nasty for Telly I think. Though PBS age kids already hear it enough on Arthur because of Molly.