1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Uh...that's WHAT,Telly?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Katzi428, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I paused on an episode of Sesame Street for a few minutes. Telly Rosita & Elmo were pretending to be Shape-Bots(wearing little outfits where they could make themselves into different shapes).So Chris remarked that when he was a kid, he would put his arms over his head to be a circle. Telly's response? :"Oh Chris....that's LAME!" Excuse me, writers of SS but you're writing for LITTLE KIDS!:mad: The ONLY definition of "lame" that they should know is when a person or animal has a bad leg! Telly should have said that it was "silly" if he didn't like Chris's idea. I can picture a little kid using the word "lame" with their parents or another adult the way Telly did & the parent or adult saying "Where did you hear that from?!" and the kid saying that Telly on Sesame Street said it so why couldn't he(or she?)
    I'm kind of glad my 4 year old niece stopped watching SS when she did. (Play With Me Sesame was on the Sprout Channel while she was here & she showed hardly any interest)
    What are your opinions?
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well you're entitled to your opinion but I personally don't see the word "lame" as anything bad. It's hardly a curse word.

I grew up in the '80s, I heard the word "lame" all the time on TV and movies, lol. And I turned out fine, thank you. ;)
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Kath, but I have to disagree with you for once.

I mean, I know what you're saying, and you're right, that actually is the actual defintion of "lame", HOWEVER, the term "lame" is one of the MANY words in our vocabulary that has been taken out of context in recent times (like "literally", "epic", "ultimate", even "gay", etc)... the fact of the matter is, people don't even actually use the term "lame" to describe a person with a bad leg anymore, they're usually refered to now as "handicap" or "diabled", wheras "lame" is used to describe something that's pathetic, mediocre, lack-lusting, unimpressive, etc.

Again, it's all a matter of the context the word is used in.
  4. heralde

Actually according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, one of lame's definitions is "lacking needful or desirable substance." And that's not even the slang definition, so that's not out of context at all.
  5. mo

mo Well-Known Member

lame is not a terrible word but i would wonder why three year olds would say it!
  6. heralde

Well personally I would want my three-year-old to be able to judge if something is lame, or in other words "lacking in needful or desirable substance," hehe.
  7. mo

mo Well-Known Member

if that's the definition for lame math homework is defiantly LAME!!!!
    heralde likes this.
  8. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with the word lame. But to me it seems odd to hear Telly say it. Maybe I need to watch the segment and it'll sound better but lame to me just doesn't seem like a word that Tell would use.
  9. heralde

I can't picture the original version of Telly saying it, but the more recent one, yes.
  10. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a little nasty for Telly I think. Though PBS age kids already hear it enough on Arthur because of Molly.
  11. heralde

It can be considered a little snotty. But I hesitate to put a muzzle on kid's shows because ultimately that's what ruins them. It's the parent's job to tell their own kids "Don't say that. It will hurt someone's feelings. And if you do, you will be punished."
  12. Dominicboo1

That's very true! I'm just saying Telly isn't mean. A good episode that showed it was Baby Talk on Dinosaurs. Baby hears a swear word on TV (smoo), and keeps repeating it. Unforunately Fran and Earl don't find it nearly as funny as he does. In the end Earl (of course) eliminates Free Speech, and realizes if he took responsibility for his son's words none of it would have happened.
    heralde likes this.
  13. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I've seen that on quite a few TV shows. Someone repeats a word they don't know the meaning to. And then instead of explaning that it's wrong (because people are incapable of actually doing that now) everyone freaks out about it.

I'm of kinda the idea that you have, That Telly isn't like that. Tt's not so much of censoring the show, saying "you can't use this word" it's more of the idea of someone saying "This is kind of jumping the shark for Telly isn't it?" But then Heralde says they could see current Telly saying it these days so I don't know. I more familiar with the older Telly.
  14. Dominicboo1

I love the older Telly more mysef. I was watching a video online with him and Oscar watching movies together called Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies. Telly is golden in that one, and Oscar keeps giving every movie 5 phooeys! That's classic Telly Monster!
  15. heralde

Yeah I did think Telly was a very intriguing character when he was Oscar's suffering sidekick, lol. Nowadays the characters on Sesame Street are pretty much just happy all the time and not much else. It goes back to the '90s when they tried to be like Barney.
  16. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

The only other show I remember doing that was Recess (the word was 'whomp').
  17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

What about te infamous "Bleep" episode of Arthur?
  18. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

You're right J..I'm sure that "lame " is hardly ever used for a bad leg anymore.It's more used for "pathetic" ,"mediocre" etc.
    Oh you're right too, heralde! I wouldn't want SS muzzled just because of 1 word. It's not like one of the characters used a REALLY nasty word. I'm not a parent, but I am a concerned aunt whose nephew still watches S.S. and is still learning right from wrong on certain things.
    (When I was a kid, I read a word in a Judy Blume book that isn't fit for here, & I called my older brother it in a fit of anger.My parents weren't very happy with me. They didn't scream & yell ,but they told me never to say it again.)
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I never hear the word lame used as anything else, actually. I know the original archaic definition of the word points to one thing, but society has abandoned that word for that purpose and has given it a new one.

Like the term "lame duck," used for politicians (and sessions with said politicians) who are finishing up their last term.

I don't know if there are that many words Telly could have used to have expressed that exact sentiment in the vernacular or without coming to a more complicated word that would go over kids's heads. Sucks and crap are right out. While sucks is used in a lot of cartoons (2k3 TMNT, Pepper Ann, Johnny Test among others), crap is somehow considered a swear (a mild one) for some reason, even though it's a substitute word (and it was used in Hey Arnold once). Stinks probably would have worked too... I don't think it's that out of character for Telly to say "that's lame" in that context.

And for all we know, the puppeteers could make these guys say something a lot worse after a series of frustrating takes. :fishy:
  20. mo

mo Well-Known Member

I've always known lame as stupid.