TV Tropes

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, I found the title of a Japanese TV show I heard about a year ago that was driving me nuts because I forgot it better and easier on TVTropes than on wikipedia.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's something I'd like to add to the Common Knowledge page, but I don't know if the mistake is common enough (though it doesn't say how common the common knowledge has to be). But I've seen a number of things (and I can't remember where I've read it) that incorrectly say that in the Sylvester and Hippety Hopper cartoons Sylvester Jr. doesn't believe that there is a giant mouse (actually a kangaroo, but the cats don't know that). But that's only the case with one cartoon, Who's Kitten Who. In all the others Sylvester Jr. does know that Hippety Hopper exists early on.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I've been perusing TV tropes lately to see what tropes I've used in my fanfictions without even knowing it. As it turns out, I've used quite a few.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've done that with my own, original work, but I've never thought to do that with my fan work... I do know one thing's for sure, when it comes to fanfics, I rely WAAAAY too much on cultural references in dialogue... seriously, there's been times where every other line in a fanfic was a cliche used from another show, movie, etc... then again, I have that problem occasionally even in my original writing. :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I have to ask... maybe my mind's just not in the gutter on this one, but am I the only one who doesn't find that Joe Raposo song "Candy Hearts and Paper Flowers" incestuous at all? I mean, okay... I guess I can see why some people, with gutteral thoughts might see it that way with the combination of the lyrics and animation, but I mean, to me, all and all, the way I see/hear it, it's just a brother and sister expressing their love for each other... is it wrong for a brother to love his sister, and a sister to love her brother? I mean for all intents and purposes, the long-distant duet between Fievel and Tanya in AN AMERICAN TAIL could be considered just as incestuous by people with dirty minds.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm confused by the trope titled "Cut Lex Luthor a Check". From the title, it sounds like it's asking people to just give a check to villains who want money, but the article is actually about villains who commit crimes in order to make money, yet seem to already have plenty of money, due to all their gadgets and hide-outs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is there one for, say...

When there's a device/object that turns the good guy into something that he has absolutely no control over (a villain, a mindless destruction machine, or a split personality) YET the villain uses the same thing with perfect control while retaining the same personality?

Like in The Mask, how Stanley Ipkiss has no control over what his mask enhanced personality does, yet the villain at the end of the movie is essentially the same in personality and goal without getting sidetracked unwillingly?

There's a Despicable Me 2 example I'm pretty sure is a spoiler so... the very same serum that turns the Minions into jittery, violent, uncontrollable monsters turns the bad guy at the end of the film into just the bad guy only bigger, hairier, and purple?

Or is it that those are the only 2 examples?