TV shows and movies turned into comic books

Xerus

Reaction score
What are your favorite TV shows and movies that became comic books?

My first favorite comic book series as a kid was Laff-A-Lympics. While the TV series, had the Hanna-Barbera characters just competing in crazy sports, the comics actually had some of the characters leave the stadium and go off on crazy adventures.

I really liked how recently they brought back Fraggle Rock as a graphic novel series. It was cool seeing the Fraggles in new stories, even if it was a comic book.

I liked what BOOM studios did by bringing the Muppet Show back in comic book form.

And I loved how BOOM gave us new stories with the Pixar movies like Cars, Toy Story, Monsters INC, and The Incredibles.

And they also brought back Disney Afternoon favorites like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, and Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers in new stories. It was like being reunited with old friends.

They even made graphic novels out of movies like GalaxyQuest and Edward Scissorhands where they continued where the movies left off. It was interesting seeing Edward having adventures with a new generation of citizens.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's essentially the only kind of comic I collect. If I had more money I'd probably get Deadpool too, I guess.

Most of them are quite good and well done. I'm so glad that licensed comics stopped being cheapo side merchandising. But I have to say, we are living in blessed times to see both Bill and Ted and Back to the Future comics published at the same time.

C to the J

Reaction score
You'll find that they did comics of shows on Cartoon Network as well.

They're much more enjoyable if you remember how the characters' voices sound! It would be neat to have some audio consisting of the actual voice actors, sound effects, and music (if any) when you're reading the pages.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm glad there's an ongoing Rick and Morty series. Really helps the agonizing wait until the next season to find out Rick's fate. There's going to be a Mr. Poopybutthole spinoff. I may get that one if money frees up.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Adventure Time has some comics and they really seem to understand the characters and the whole tone and humor of the show. Reading those almost feels like watching an episode of the show.

Xerus

Reaction score
I also want to mention some of my other favorites.

When Avatar, The Last Airbender TV show ended, they continued the story in a bunch of graphic novels that are still going on today. We even got to find out the long wondered mystery of what happened to Zuko's missing mom. It was totally wild.

And I think the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic comics are a lot better than the TV show for some reason. They seem to have a lot more humor in the comics.

I recently went on eBay and got myself some Eek! the Cat comics. As well as some really old Lidsville comics too.

And it'll surprise you when you step into a book store and discover something that has been made into a comic. That's where I found an actual Yo Gabba Gabba comic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I think the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic comics are a lot better than the TV show for some reason. They seem to have a lot more humor in the comics.
To no surprise as the comic has much more freedom than the TV series does. Especially since the comic is clearly directed to Bronies but still sold as a "kid's comic."

And it'll surprise you when you step into a book store and discover something that has been made into a comic. That's where I found an actual Yo Gabba Gabba comic.
Yo Gabba Gabba was a show meant for kids of hipster parents. I was never surprised by a comic book version. The comic that surprised the heck out of me? An independant comic company...waaaaaaay independent published a "The Honeymooners" comic back in the 80's. I actually own it because of course I do (not really so much for weirdness sake, but The Honeymooners is my favorite 50's sitcom). It had one original comic story and one an adaption of the Game Show episode. The one where Norton keeps singing "Swanee River" and when Ralph gets the final question he can't remember the name of the guy who wrote it (which you'll remember homaged in that episode of Pinky and the Brain which is also somehow adapted into a comic early on in Animaniacs' run).

I did manage to find an Eek the Cat comic in one of those cheap dollar store comic two packs. Surprisingly well written, clearly modeled after a season 1 style of writing. Very freaking obscure. The other comic two pack that surprised me was a Comico Johnny Quest. Made in the 80's clearly for the kids of the 60's who grew up watching it and would be the same age we were when The Muppet Show Comic Book came out. It was a little more adult than you'd think. Comico being the company that released the original Robotech comics which are also a staple of the dollar store comic bundles.

The rarest thing I have I got free. There's a long involved story about how this came to be, but I'm just going to cut to the quick. I have an American made Captain Harlock comic book. These were made completely without permission of the original Japanese copyright and unlike Robotech, it didn't have an American branch distribution and ownership (in Robotech's case, Harmony Gold). So they were pretty much using the character illegally. Never got around to reading it though.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I just found an old Tale Spin comic, a print version of the pilot. In 1990 the Disney Afternoon was becoming something really special (getting better every year), it's nice they tried to give it some ink room too.

I also have all 13 issues of the Marvel/Star Ewoks series (concurrent with their Fraggle Rock line). It's funny how some hardcore Star Wars freaks absolutely HATE anything to do with Ewoks.
Sucks to be them. 8)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah those 1990's "Disney Comics." They certainly weren't put together to last. Every comic I had from that self printing company, the cover split at the seams and fell right off, no matter how pristine I kept them. Even find some in the comic shop about to split. They really had no foresight to know that adult comic fans would have kept them.

But yeah. I love how Talespin may have just been an adaption of the pilot film at first, but it managed to transition into some very good original stories. Darkwing Duck wasn't as fortunate. While it still managed to get shorter form comics in Disney Adventures, it's Disney Comics printing was just the pilot. Delightfully wacky artwork that didn't kill the heartwarming vibe of the story. Shame that it took until the short Marvel Comics "Disney Afternoon" run to get some comic boom original DW stories. Those were pretty good, but far from the Boom and ...you know what? I didn't get the name of that new publishing company.

But yeah, the Marvel Darkwing Duck stories were alright, but I really think Disney Adventures did a better job overall.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone going to bother with DC's Darker and Edgier Hanna Barbera comics?

They look meh except for Future Quest and maybe The Flintstones. I was really psyched for Wacky Raceland...until I saw what they're doing with the characters.

Dick Dastardly shouldn't look like he's being played by Johnny Depp, but certainly Muttley shouldn't be a cyborg attack dog.