TV Alert: Muppets "Letters to Santa" on CW December 11

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So... Where do we send our jipped frogs and dogs and bears and pigs and chickens and rats and whatevers and penguins who thought there would be a new Muppet Christmas special this year on the CW to strongly voice their disgruntlements? :grr:

At least I'll get a chance to watch LTS in full again this year.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
This was my first time watching LTS, since I wasn't a Muppet fan when it originally aired. I thought it was pretty good; sure, the plot was sappy, but it was fun playing Spot The Muppet in the group scenes, and I loved seeing Sweetums' appearance in the post office scene. Plus I liked Sam's bit about opening the mail (I've had to tell my mother not to open other people's mail before, maybe I ought to get Sam on her case).

All in all, I liked the special and I'm glad it made it to air this holiday season.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Is anyone else dissapointed that this seems to be the only Muppet Christmas special on TV this year....no sesame street, no muppet christmas carol....I mean unless I am missing something...I don't get cable but I do read the TV guide listings...I know this is the most recent but there are so many that could air....I'm just glad I have them all on video/dvd

Drtooth

Reaction score
So... Where do we send our jipped frogs and dogs and bears and pigs and chickens and rats and whatevers and penguins who thought there would be a new Muppet Christmas special this year on the CW to strongly voice their disgruntlements? :grr:
The thing that bothers me is that at one point, the CW said "More Muppets," and showing the same special is far from more. I really doubted that they'd be able to put up a promise that couldn't be kept as they don't actually own the franchise, especially since Disney didn't say anything. But at least you'd expect them to air something else

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
What a great surprise to get an alert from Muppet Central that the CW was running LTS last night! Mrs. Otter and I capped off a night of Christmas specials with this one and, once again, we really enjoyed it.

It's not the best Muppet Christmas special I've ever seen but it's still a treat. I've told more than one person over the last 24 hours that I'd watch the whole thing for "I Wish I Could Be Santa Claus." Paul Williams (aka. The Cranky Elf) has written so many wonderful songs for The Muppets over the years and that's one of his best. The closing song is pretty catchy, too.

Other favourite moments - Sam's speech about opening other people's mail; Beaker and the supermodel exchanging mee-mee-mee's; Whoopi Goldberg the cab driver; Uma Thurman as the North Pole Airlines clerk (I STILL can't believe she did that!); Nathan Lane as Officer Frank Meany doing back-and-forths with Bobo ("Ding-ding-ding"); Jane Krakowski reluctantly letting the Muppets into her apartment ("Let me put down some newspapers" - I'd love to see her working with the Muppets again); Pepe letting his guard down when Santa shows up; the big Muppet family gathering at the end...great stuff.

Even little things about this special make me smile, like Kermit's response to Fozzie's "winging it" joke: "THAT WASN'T FUNNY!!!"

Occasionally the dialogue seems laboured and the punchlines fall flat and we can hear that some of the Muppet recasts were just taking shape (eg. David Rudman with Scooter, although Matt Vogel seemed more relaxed with Floyd and Robin), but I still love LTS and I think I always will.

Hubert

Reaction score
I'm late, but I watched last night, despite the fact that I own the DVD (everyday's a good day for Muppets :smile: )

So I enjoyed this special as usual. It just made me remember the day that this aired and I watched it, and finally felt like the Muppets were back on the right track for the first time in years. Looking back, I think that was about right.

Something new I noticed in the special: Throughout the songs, at certain "low" points of them, I noticed some coordinating notes and chords that were almost slightly reminiscent to some of Paul Williams's work from MCC. I just kinda liked that, how from one special to the next, it's almost as if he hid little remnants of his previous Muppet work into his more current Muppet work.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Is anyone else dissapointed that this seems to be the only Muppet Christmas special on TV this year....no sesame street, no muppet christmas carol....I mean unless I am missing something...I don't get cable but I do read the TV guide listings...I know this is the most recent but there are so many that could air....I'm just glad I have them all on video/dvd
The CW is showing "It's a Very merry Muppet Christmas Movie" on December 18th.