1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

TV Alert: Muppets at the 84th Academy Awards on ABC

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Feb 26, 2012.

1. panmanthe2nd Active Member

Wow! This is great!!!
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

So... am I the only one who caught Kermit referencing "Studebaker" and laughing at that nod to the first film? A great appearance, too bad it was so short. Did NOT like that lame Cirque du Solame thing (they should have performed both songs instead)... and I have to admit, it was kinda... depressing the whole thing had to be a commercial for going out to see the movies. But there's no0 mistaking how great we all feel that the Muppets FINALLY got a well deserved Best Song Award.

I mean really? You went with Norma Rae over Rainbow Connection? Really?!
    PanthraDion and panmanthe2nd like this.
  3. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I didn't watch all of it, but I caught Kermit and Miss Piggy's scene and stopped watching after Man or Muppet won. It's a shame Kermit and Miss Piggy didn't do anything during the acceptance speech.

And is it me or did it seem it took the slowest amount of time to announce the best song winner? I know, that's the most exciting award to us this year, but still, seems it took forever for it to be read and announced. And the acceptance speech seemed to be one of the shortest (but then again, I usually hate the acceptance speeches... If I ever win an Oscar I plan to just go up, take the award, and go back to my seat).

The scene with Kermit and Miss Piggy wasn't that great. Kermit mentioned his first time at the movies, contradicting Kermit's Swamp Years where his first trip to the movies was shown to be in an actual movie theater. And now I know the inspiration for Cirque du So Lame.
  4. muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

5. Alvin Active Member

The whole show was boring and stupid...and they let Circue Du so lame perform but not let the nominated songs perform. It was a poorly produced show. Heck any of us could have done better!
  6. Bannanasketch Active Member

:grouchy:: What's all this fuss I hear about the Muppets winning me?
    Fozzie Bear likes this.
  7. DannyRWW Well-Known Member

To be fair I liked Billy Crystal as host but even he seemed taken aback by some things like Cirque and the fact that Harry Potter did not win a single award (He made an odd comment about how the last of the Harry Potter movies came out this year right after it lost the last award it was nominated for)
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

It seemed like they blew the budget and time for very idiotic things, that performance of the Cirque being one of them. That time would better have been spent performing Man or Muppet and that other thing live. I really didn't get the point of it... how is some guy in the front row pulling his leg over his head like "the experience of going to the movies?"

Plus, I wish they'd retire that "I'm in every movie that was nominated for an Oscar" opening. It's just so predictable.

Bill did as good a job as he could, some of the presenters were good too... but it was just dreadfully dull for the most part.
  9. Alvin Active Member

I agree!
  10. Cindy Moderator

Could not agree more. Although isn't that what Hollywood is so good at - remakes? :sigh:
  11. jacobsnchz Active Member

So very happy and proud about THE MUPPETS' big win!! Maybe they'll put a banner on the DVD/Blu-Ray... "Academy Award Winner: Best Original Song ('Man or Muppet')"!! haha.
    panmanthe2nd likes this.
  12. zoebell Active Member

well, i actually thought it was loads better than last year's show, which was dreadful. so i was just relieved about that. and i was happy to see meryl streep win again after almost 30 years, but i do wish kermit and piggy could have said more. but they looked adorable!
  13. Any word on why Bret didn't thank Jason Segal?
  14. DannyRWW Well-Known Member

He seemed a tad rushed. I hope it wasn't anything personal. Jason didn't look offended.
  15. Drtooth Well-Known Member

He was so happy, he was about to start crying. I think the thanks was pretty much a given, anyway.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  16. Alvin Active Member

Yeah I kept waiting for him to thank Jason too...but, seeing Jason's reaction...I think that said it all.
  17. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I enjoyed a lot of the non-Muppet stuff, like the "Wizard of Oz test audience" bit and the part where somebody (was it Billy Crystal or someone else?) guesed what people in the audience were thinking based on their facial expressions (too bad Kermit and Piggy weren't included there... Though it would have been good if Statler and Waldorf were used there... Since none of them spoke in that scene, they wouldn't have needed Dave Goelz to perform Waldorf). One of the winners (whom I am unfamiliar with) gave a funny line: "When I came out of my mother's womb I was rehearsiing my acceptance speech". That was funny, but the follow-up line, "but I forgot it", wasn't.
  18. LaraP New Member

I'm glad they included Kermit and Piggy, but IMO they could've used them MORE throughout the show, to keep things fun and funny. Also, I absolutely believe the Oscar show's producers totally missed a GOLDEN (so to speak) opportunity to use Statler and Waldorf in the balcony. Was actually thinking it might happen. Sadly, no. I did find Kermie and Piggy listed among the "best quotes" from the 2012 Oscars here:

http://www.ranker.com/list/funny-oscars-2012-quotes/movie-and-tv-quotes

Voted them up. Last I looked, Piggy's quote was LAST -- but Bret McKenzie's from the acceptance speech was ranked much higher.
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

That was one of the few good fillers. But you usually get a good performance out of Christopher Guest and company.

But anyone else feel the entire event was a commercial to get everyone to go to the movies? You don't get them there by having Cirque du Solame do some completely pointless display (how many of you heard Krusty the Klown in the back of your mind saying "what the He(ck) was that?!?")... you get them to go by slashing ticket prices to 7 bucks.
  20. DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Didn't need to picture it.... Billy Crystal almost said that himself before a quick save... I could tell he wasn't impressed