TMS Script- Rex Harrison

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
At the moment, my next one planned is... ED WYNN!
That'd be a really great one, that and the Buddy Hackett one. Take as much time as you want with these and other scripts and outlines; the wait will definitely be worth it. :smile:

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
wasn't uncle deadly the "flamenco" dancer-turned-villain in the "Muppet Melodrama" on the Gilda Radner episode or is Uncle Deadly not the one I'm thinking of?

BJ

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Yes, that was Uncle Deadly; Miss Piggy even calls him by name. ("Yo, Deadly! Wayne! I--AAAAAAUGGGGHH!" [That would be her falling. :wink: ])

Was Uncle Deadly ever referred to by name anywhere else (besides scripts)?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Was Uncle Deadly ever referred to by name anywhere else (besides scripts)?
His "introduction" was in the Twiggy episode, in which he introduces himself as Uncle Deadly in the last backstage scene.

He was also referred to in the other episode with a melodrama sketch, the Jean Stapleton episode. Kermit says into the intercom "Wayne, Deadly, and Annie Sue on stage for the melodrama." Piggy gets upset over not being cast in the melodrama, but when Annie Sue gets stage nerves, Piggy steps in and gets more than she bargained for.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
That'd be a really great one, that and the Buddy Hackett one. Take as much time as you want with these and other scripts and outlines; the wait will definitely be worth it. :smile:
Awwww, thanks MD! :smile:

Actually the Buddy Hackett one has once again taken a backseat. I am currently working on two outlines, both set in late Season One. Ed Wynn, as mentioned, is one of them. The other is... (drumroll please)... CASS ELLIOTT!

The Ed Wynn one is coming close to completion but I'm really struggling with the order of a few certain acts, mainly where to place Muppet News so that I don't jam up one section with Ed Wynn bits- I've got him in a closing number and an early number of course, Muppet News, the Talk Spot, a Panel Discussion spot, and Fozzie's Monologue. That's 6, and the difficulty is spacing them out. But the show has come together pretty well overall, and I think certain moments in it are particularly inspired.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Deanmo19 said:
How bout something like--

ABBA (Late Second Season (Circa Cloris Leachman)
Christopher Lee (Early Second Season (Circa Zero Mostel)
That's a thought. Personally I'd probably put ABBA in Early Third Season, since there were a lot of recording stars on the show at that time.

Christopher Lee around the same time as Zero Mostel would certainly work- matter of fact I grew up thinking that the Zero Mostel episode was a Halloween episode- but actually when I started the Christopher Lee outline I placed it around the time of the Elton John and Lou Rawls episodes, just for yuks (again, there were a lot of recording artists on the show at that time, so in this case I just wanted to break it up a bit).

MuppetDude

Reaction score
What about Lily Tomlin? She's worked with the Muppets many times, but never was a guest on the show.

And there were two more guests that were proposed to appear during the fourth season, but never did: Robin Williams and Cher.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Deanmo19 said:
Actually, the Zero Mostel episode is not a Halloween episode. The Vincent Price episode and the Alice Cooper episode are.
I know, I just grew up thinking it was before I knew anything about the show aside from having seen the "Fears" poem (hence why I thought what I did) and the scene with Zero & Sam.

As to your other suggestions, I have considered an Andy Kaufman outline but it doesn't interest me a whole lot right now (though I came up with a very Andy Kaufman-esque plot for it). Charlie's Angels- well, they had Cheryl Ladd on it in Season Three. Tomlinson's not a bad choice, though I should point out that for placement I go by taping rather than episode number (in cases where the two are not synonymous). The Loretta Swit episode was the first one taped in Season Five; the Gene Kelly episode was the last episode taped. There are totally different vibes to those two episodes IMO. I put the Loretta Swit and Joan Baez episode together b/c of their visual style and b/c the Joan Baez episode was obviously trying to be the Loretta Swit episode (possibility of core character leaving, only the second was manipulating and ineffective).

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Deanmo19 said:
Actually, the Charlie's Angels cast was Farrah Fawcet, Jaclyn Smith, and Kate Jackson.
Farrah left after Season One and was replaced by Cheryl Ladd.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Was re-reading and I wanted to make some small corrections/edits:

SONG: “Suffragette City”- the Electric Mayhem plays and sings in their bandstand set; the lighting behind them is red, yellow, and black. Clockwise from top: Animal, at top behind drum riser, Lips, on mid-level riser, right to left: Zoot, Janice, and Floyd on the bottom level, and Dr. Teeth on the screen left mid-level riser.
I just realized that since Floyd is the lead singer, he should be in the middle. Janice smacks him with the guitar and she plays left-handed, that's why she should be on his left. Let's say that on the bottom riser, from screen left to screen right it's Zoot, Floyd, and Janice.

Rowlf: “A fish that plays the piano? I don’t believe it!”

Piggy: “Why not?”

Rowlf: “Because you can tune a piano but you can’t tuna fish! Maybe you should teach her to sing instead.”
The 'but you can't tuna fish' should be spoken by Rowlf, Piggy, and Janice together, before Rowlf goes into his next line. That's a line that everybody would see coming.

THE SWEDISH CHEF:

Chef (singing theme song): “Yorn desh bur, dayum, ba dishke doo, Yorn desh, dee born desh de-

The chef motions to Rex as if to say “Take it!” Rex looks at him a moment, then turns to the camera.

Rex (speaking, deadpan): “Bork bork bork.”
Would've helped if I had mentioned in the header that Rex is there, standing next to him.

Cheese (spots the wine): “Hey, wine! How about passing me a glass?”

Rex and the Chef react to the camera.
The cheese should call him 'bub' or 'buddy', and then after the reaction from Rex and the Chef, it should say APPLAUSE. FADE OUT.

Also, in Rex's song in the dressing room, there should be applause after he finishes the song, but before Piggy karate chops him.

Kermit: “And now, here to sing that old Irish folk tune “Sweet Molly Malone”, ladies and gentlemen-”

Gonzo (pokes his head out between the curtains): “Psst! Psst!”

Kermit: “The Great Gonz- what?”

Gonzo (stage whisper): “Come here.”

Gonzo motions for Kermit to come over. Gonzo whispers to Kermit but we can’t tell what he’s saying.

Kermit: “You’re kidding.”

Gonzo shakes his head. Kermit goes back out front.

Kermit: “Uh, yes well, here he is ladies and gentlemen, Gonzo the Great, who will sing “Sweet Molly Malone”-”

He looks over at Gonzo, who nods, urging him on.

Kermit: “-while bathing a wolverine-”

Gonzo: “Good.”

He ducks back behind the curtain.

Kermit: “I don’t know why I even bother. Ladies and gentlemen, Gonzo the Great!”
Kermit introduced Gonzo by name twice. Line should read:

Kermit: “Uh, yes well, here now to sing “Sweet Molly Malone”-”

And then the rest as normal.

Kermit: “Uh, yes well, ladies and gentlemen, our guest star tonight, Rex Harrison, is truly, ah, one of the most continental performers in show business. He has crossed the cultural gap many a time- and tonight, he will have to leap a crevasse... hoo boy. Here he is with his reluctant rendition of “Kansas City”, ladies and gentlemen Rex Harrison! Yaaaaaayy!!!!”
I changed the quote and fixed it so it reads as it should: the second and third sentences are combined, so that the cultural gap and crevasse are in the same sentence.

Little things, but of course little things are important. Subtlety has guided the Muppets well over the years, and the sooner that said fact is remembered, the sooner the Muppets will climb back into the league they once played in.