TMS Outline Starring Ray Bolger

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
(All right, this is my first solo TMS outline. That being said, the version of Skeeter in this outline isn't the one that appeared in one of Travelling Matt's outlines. This Skeeter is around 12 years old and living with her and Scooter's uncle; she likes to hang around the backstage like Robin does. For those who don't know, Ray Bolger was a dancer in the 1920s and 30s who was also an actor with MGM. His most famous role is that of the Scarecrow (and Kansas farmhand Hunk Andrews) in "The Wizard of Oz." Later in life he did guest star spots in various television shows, like as Grandpa Renfrew in the Partridge Family.)

SPECIAL GUEST STAR: RAY BOLGER

COLD OPENING: Ray comes through the stage door and checks in with Pops. Pops recognizes him from Oz and mentions that one of his friends from the movie dropped by earlier. That's when a crow flies in and lands on the desk.

OPENING THEME

OPENING NUMBER: The Electric Mayhem performs "Big Yellow Taxi" with Janice on lead vocals.

STATLER: Hey Waldorf, can I borrow fifteen bucks?

WALDORF: Sure thing, old friend! What for?

STATLER: I want the big yellow taxi to come and take ME away!

BOTH: DOHHHH, HO HO HO...

BACKSTAGE: Kermit is excited about having Ray Bolger on the show and has decided to devote the entire show to different style of dance. Meanwhile Skeeter tries to psych herself up to talk to Ray, who played her favorite character in "The Wizard of Oz."

GUEST STAR: Ray performs "We Won't Be Happy Til We Get It" with Gonzo and Scooter (who winds up twisting his ankle near the end of the song).

BACKSTAGE: Skeeter tries to speak to Ray as he comes off stage, but loses her nerve as other Muppets come up and talk to him.

VET'S HOSPITAL: Dr. Bob's patient turns out to be a rather reluctant Scooter.

BACKSTAGE/SKIT: Kermit wants to have a "Yellow Brick Road" setting for Ray's Scarecrow number (and Piggy wants to dress up as Dorothy), but Bo has goofed up and ordered blue bricks instead of yellow. Kermit is a little harsh telling Bo off, leaving the stagehand feeling a bit down in the dumps. Ray comes down from his dressing room (causing Skeeter to dash off once again) just as Kermit finishes with Bo.

RAY: Say pal, you're lookin' pretty down in the dumps. What's the matter?

BO: Oh, Kermit just got mad at me again. I forgot something important we needed for a number and now we can't do it. Sometimes I feel like such a dummy.

RAY: Well, that's nothing to be ashamed of. I played a character in a movie once that had the same problem you do.

BO: Oh yeah? What problem was that?

RAY: He didn't have a brain; only straw.

Ray then launches into "If I Only Had a Brain," teaching Bo a few improvised dance steps along the way and with some other Muppets joining in. At the end Bo guesses who the character was...but he picks the wrong one.

UK SPOT: Gonzo and Uncle Deadly sing the Spike Jones version of "My Old Flame."

WALDORF: Say Statler, what ever happened to your old flame?

STATLER: I blew it out!

BOTH: DOHHHH, ho ho ho....

TALK SPOT: Kermit and Ray talk, and Kermit apologizes about the set mix-up for the Scarecrow sketch. During the talk Robin pipes up and comments to Ray on how much he enjoyed "Oz," remarking that "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is his favorite song. From backstage Skeeter shoots Robin a dirty look.

SKIT: Fozzie tries his hand at a monologue once again...dressed in drag a la Ray Bolger's character in "Where's Charley." Statler and Waldorf quickly shred his act to pieces.

BACKSTAGE: Skeeter is sitting alone beating herself up over not having the courage to go up to Ray and talk to him, when who should come over and introduce himself but the guest star. Ray tells Skeeter that both Scooter and Kermit have told him about her and he's always happy to meet an Oz fan. Just as the two of them really get into a conversation, Scooter runs in to tell Ray it's time for the closing number. Ray then invites Skeeter onstage with him.

CLOSING NUMBER: Ray leads Skeeter, the Muppets and the audience in "Once In Love With Amy."

CLOSING THEME

(Statler and Waldorf are standing in the theatre box, clicking their heels together)

STATLER AND WALDORF: There's no place like home...there's no place like home...there's no place like home...

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Nicely done. I especially liked the closing comment, the stuff with Bo, and though I've never seen "Where's Charley?" the idea of Fozzie in drag sounds like a good one- in a comedy career that's included impressions, ventriloquism, phrenology, mime, puppetry and even a memory act, it's one act he's never done.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Nicely done. I especially liked the closing comment, the stuff with Bo, and though I've never seen "Where's Charley?" the idea of Fozzie in drag sounds like a good one- in a comedy career that's included impressions, ventriloquism, phrenology, mime, puppetry and even a memory act, it's one act he's never done.

If you're curious about "Where's Charley," it's a musical version of the play "Charley's Aunt" (if you've ever seen that). Charley's Aunt is about a guy who dresses up as his aunt. Standard mayhem and confusion ensues. :wink:

-Kim

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Do you ever envision the Goodnights for these? That is, at the end when they're (usually) in front of the red curtain? Me, I always list them out of personal preference.

From this one, obviously from usage in the episode alone there'd be Ray, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Skeeter, and Bo in the goodnights, and likely more, such as Rizzo on Ray's shoulder. Season 5 never had fewer than 8 in the goodnights including the guest star. Incidentally, it also had no Talk Spot, but there can always be exceptions to rules.