TMS outline- Gwen Verdon!

Princeton

Reaction score
After a little less than a year, I’m finally submitting a new outline! This one, funnily enough, came to me in my sleep. Gwen Verdon was a singer/actress, mostly known on Broadway for her roles in "**** Yankees!", "Sweet Charity", and "Chicago". I like to think of her as the "contemporary Ethel Merman". As she got older, she guested on quite a few sitcoms, most memorably in M*A*S*H in the episode "That’s Show Biz", and in the movie "Cocoon" and its sequels. Sadly, she passed away in 2000.

STYLE: MID 2ND SEASON (CIRCA GEORGE BURNS EP)

Cold Opening

Scooter: Gwen Verdon? Gwen Verdon? 15 seconds to curtain, Gwen.
Gwen: Thank you, Scooter. Say, Kermit told me there was someone here who wanted to meet me. Is that true?
Scooter: Sure is, Gwen. In fact, I’ve got him right here. (Ushers Gonzo into Dressing Room)
Gwen: Hello, Gonzo. I’ve always wanted to meet you, too.
Gonzo (turns to camera): She knows me! (To Gwen) Say, Gwen, could I be your bodyguard for the night?
Gwen: Well, sure, but I hardly think I’ll need protection. (Opens closet and Doglion pops out) (to camera) Of course, I’m often wrong.

Opening Theme

Gonzo: blows trumpet and Feather Boa from Juliet Prowse episode comes out.

Opening Number- Gwen sings "Roxie", backed up by the Mutations.

Backstage- Piggy runs up to Kermit, asking why her big number got bumped to next week. Kermit explains that it’s because Gwen Verdon is hosting tonight and he had to keep some time slots open so Gwen could sing her hits from all the shows she’s been in. Piggy sighs, angrily, and huffs off to her dressing room.

Muppet Labs- Ragtime Repellent Shoes, modeled by Beaker. Bunsen plays some ragtime on the radio and the shoes kick through the radio (along with parts of the lab set!)

Backstage- Piggy continues to plead Kermit to let her be on the show tonight. She promises to cook him pancakes if he lets her go on. Kermit says "No on the show, but yes on the pancakes. The theater’s roof is in need of a good patch job".

Song- Gwen sings "If My Friends Could see Me Now".

UK Skit- Floyd and the rest of the band sing "Touch Me".

Swedish Chef- Razzle Dazzle Souffle. Every time he adds an ingredient, confetti sprays out of the pot.

Backstage- Piggy is looking for Kermit, but finds Gonzo instead.

Piggy: All right, buzzard beak, where’s the frog?
Gonzo: He’s onstage doing a talk spot with Gwen.
Piggy: Hah! Gwen Verdon: Act Stealer Extraordinare. Lemme have a talk with her.
Gonzo: Sorry, Piggy, no can do. You see, I’m Ms. Verdon’s bodyguard for the night.
Piggy: Aw, come on, Gonzo, I’m much better at fighting than you are. Watch. (Tries to karate chop him but Gonzo gives her a better chop).
Piggy (wincing): Ow! How’d you learn to do that?
Gonzo: I guess I got at least something out of my former obsession with you.

Closing Number: Gwen sings "A Little Brains, A Little Talent".

Closing Theme

D

Dil

Aren't you forgetting the Kermit introduction:
"It's The Muppet Show with our very special guest star Miss Gwen Verdon!"?

Princeton

Reaction score
Dil said:
Aren't you forgetting the Kermit introduction:
"It's The Muppet Show with our very special guest star Miss Gwen Verdon!"?
No, I didn't forget; if you read all my outlines, *none* of them have the Kermit introduction. YOU write your outlines YOUR way, I'LL write my outlines MY way, okay?:rolleyes: :attitude:

Princeton

Reaction score
Dil said:
Just notin' what Kermit would say in the opening theme.
Well, thank you, but there was no need. I *know* what Kermit would say; I'm not an idiot.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Yeah you tell him Brian.:rolleyes: :attitude:

As for your outline, it's very good. It could be fleshed out a little here and there, but the basis is very well thought-out:big_grin:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Very appropriate use of The Mutations in the opening number. Liked Muppet Labs and the pancakes/roofing joke.

It is a bit short. The fewest number of sketches in any Season Two episode is 7; usually it's more like 8 or 9.

Why does Gonzo want to be Gwen's bodyguard? It seems a rather odd request, even for Gonzo. Perhaps it should be brought about more informally- "I want you to know that if you need anything, you can count on me. I'll stick by you all evening -- I'll be like your bodyguard." Something like that.

The cold opening could be tighter- you don't really need Gwen inquiring if there's someone outside wanting to meet her, and Scooter bringing him in. You could just have "15 seconds to curtain, Miss Verdon." "Thank you, Scooter." Scooter exits, Gonzo enters.

Keep 'em coming!

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole