Tinseltown question

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Is Tinseltown's Bobby Vegan an evolved version of Muppets Tonight's Howard Tubman?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean puppet-wise, then it's possible that yes, Bobby Vegan was made by recycling the Howard Tubman puppet.

If you mean character-wise, no, they're two different characters altogether.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Well the puppet designs are quite different, perhaps it's the voice and the character being a human sized pig perhaps is the coincidence. As a royal viewer of Muppets Tonight back in the 90s, I didn't get a chance to see the UK spots so the only time I seen Howard Tubman was in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. When I re-watched that, it kind of made me wonder, why does that character remind me of Tinseltown?

By the way, what happened with Tinseltown? I've seen the pilot and I thought it was quite funny. I love how their adopted son comes in and gets something from the refrigerator completely ignoring their parents. I'm not sure why that's funny, kind of campy to me I guess. Plus I'm so used to seeing a puppet in a human family either Alf or Cousin Skeeter, so to see a human having puppet parents it's very original. So does The Jim Henson Company still own rights to Tinseltown or does Logo / Viacom own them now? I really wished that was a show, that looked very good.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Howard was voiced/performed by Brian Henson whereas Bobby was Bill Barretta, so they'd be completely different characters in both puppet and performance aspects.

You saw the pilot... That's what happened to TinselTown, shelved and forgotten.
I think JHC has the rights since the Wiki article mentions that both Bobby and Samson Night appeared in the promo intro for Stuffed and Strung's NYC show run but I could be wrong.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Well, Howard was voiced/performed by Brian Henson whereas Bobby was Bill Barretta, so they'd be completely different characters in both puppet and performance aspects.
According to Muppet Wiki, it says that both characters are Bill Barretta.
Though Brian performed Samson Knight which amazes me because his voice doesn't sound like any other character I've ever heard Brain perform before.