Three Hour Cut of Labyrinth

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I thought this might be interesting to read if you're a Labyrinth fan....it's another excerpt from Neil Gaiman's blog (the last one about "Mirrormask" can be found here). This was a question Neil was answering for a reader about Labyrinth/Mirrormask:

Question - I read that you and Dave had access to something like THREE EXTRA HOURS of Labyrinth footage while you were conceptualizing MirrorMask. What are the chances that it will be released to the public? Was there anything truly inspiring that influenced MirrorMask?

Neil - "No, what we were watching was a three hour long rough-cut of Labyrinth, with the puppeteers rather than voice actors voicing the characters (Dave Goelz's hilarious Sir Didymus made the version in the finished film seem mildly irritating by comparison). Mostly what we learned from it was how good an editor Jim Henson was -- there are some excellent sequences in the finished movie that were just too long as filmed."

guysmiley4ever

Reaction score
Wow, cool! That would be fun to watch.
Can't get enough of Labyrinth, been my fave movie since it came out.
Awesome!!

alorindanya

Reaction score
Sadness

That's sad. Even if it's not 'theater ready', they should at least be willing to let us see what we are VERY INTERESTED in seeing. Who cares if it's the puppeteers doing the voices...we love them too. They made the magic.

Oh PLEASE those of you with the power at Henson Co. PLEASE let us see what you've found.

Reaction score
Ok I have been searching the net for about two hours now on info about Mirrormask (more or less I am just trying to find an update about it). And the only things I have found was dated back in July 2003.

Could you tell me what days those journal Entries were made on Neil Gaiman's blog? Because I can't find them.

I am very much looking forward to this movie.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Neil's blog doesn't seem to have a search feature so I think you probably have to go there, click on "Journal Archives" and these posts should be contained somewhere in his entries from January 4 - 14. I don't recall the exact dates sorry!!

Actually, the entire posts from his blog were copied here and in the previous thread (there's a link up in my original post to it) so all there is here on MC. The film is either in production or post at this point I believe. The only news of it I've heard about it lately has been these little snippets in Neil's blog.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, after searching the net for hours I came up with nothing else. Guess I will just have to be surprised when and if they ever get it done.
Just hope it does get completed.
Thanks again.