Thoughts on "The Prince & Me" movie

Firecat87

Reaction score
I just saw a preview this weekend for "The Prince and Me", a movie coming out soon- i believe starring julia stiles- i get her confused with other young actresses, so it may be someone else. Anyway, the premise of the movie seems to me that she meets a guy and falls for him, and guess what- he's a prince! She then gets to live out the "fairy tale" romance with an actual prince (of course in most actual fairy tales the princesses - or lead female character- don't actually fall in love with the prince before marrying him- but that's a different subject)
Anyway, my thoughts on this movie are- and I have not yet seen it, so these are just impressions I got from the preview- are these:
why do we continually have these movies that perpetuate the myth of the "knight in shining armor", "happily ever after", and all those fairy tale standards that american girls are grown up with. Hasn't anyone figured out that things usually (and by usually i mean, every time in my life) do not happen that way. I know this sound jaded and bitter, and I don't mean it to. And i also don't mean to say that there is no such thing as love or romance. I have been in a great relationship for a long time now. But it wasn't all roses and romance, it takes work, from both sides. Errr.... :grouchy: Sorry, writing all that got me worked up. I'd love to hear anybody else's opinion on the subject.

:big_grin:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but I must admit to having a soft spot for fairy tales. I think it looks like kind of a cute movie. And I imagine they probably do try to put more of a modern twist on it. I agree that the whole "love at first sight" thing is pretty unrealistic. I need to know a person fairly well, or at least know a lot about them, before I start to swoon. But I don't know, I wouldn't mind seeing it - though I doubt I'll see it in the theater. I've got a list of movies I really want to see in the theater, and I doubt I'll get to see most of them...
Erin

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Firecat87 said:
why do we continually have these movies that perpetuate the myth of the "knight in shining armor", "happily ever after", and all those fairy tale standards that american girls are grown up with. Hasn't anyone figured out that things usually (and by usually i mean, every time in my life) do not happen that way.
Well, many people watch movies to escape from reality. Therefore, not every movie has to be ultra realistic to be entertaining.

Many of the most popular movies of all time (i.e. Star Wars, The Princess Bride) are essentially fairy tales on some level. Why? Because people want to leave the theater feeling happy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even still it looks like a cheesy, by the numbers romantic comedy for young girls movie to me.

Firecat87

Reaction score
Amazing Mumford said:
Well, many people watch movies to escape from reality. Therefore, not every movie has to be ultra realistic to be entertaining.

Many of the most popular movies of all time (i.e. Star Wars, The Princess Bride) are essentially fairy tales on some level. Why? Because people want to leave the theater feeling happy.
I agree with that. Star Wars and Princess Bride are two of my favorite movies. However, they are very clearly set in the fantasy realm. You know immediately that they are not real- or at least, I do. Whereas, "The Prince and Me" seems to be based in a reality, or at least in Hollywood's idea of "reality". Young girls may watch it and think that that is how their lives will be. But who am I to say, maybe I'm just too jaded for the "modern fairy tale".