This thread is brought to you by the letter U!

mikealan

Reaction score
Okay, MC fans, today's letter of the thread is U! I watched 123 SS yesterday and saw some of the U skits. My U memories I saw yesterday are...

1) The NOO-nee-NOO Typewriter Guy U-Umbrella: It starts to rain, so the typewriter guy opens the umbrella to make him dry. Then, the rain stops, so the typewriter closes the umbrella and gets stuck in it! After his very short struggle, he pops out his wheels and rides off going, "Noo-nee-noo-nee-noo..." When I was a little kid, I was so scared of that sketch, because of him being stuck in the umbrella and the wheels popping out was scary. Now, when I watched this, I think the typewriter being stuck in the umbrella is a little freaky, and leaving with himself stuck under the umbrella is a little freaky.

2) Happy Birthday To U-a Bert and Ernie sketch. Ernie is about to sing "Happy Birthday" to the letter U and it begins to move and blows the candle on the cake!

3) An animated segment where kids raise their hands, because they know what begins with U. It's just like school. They know many words like "uncle", "umpire", "underwear", "uniform", etc. until a kid holds the umbrella and says, "Umbrella!"

4) A live-action sketch/song about the letter U where kids hold U's, because they like U's!

5) An animated segment where the P knocks the door and the U enters and his name is U, but the P thinks he has to go away. Then, the U means the letter U which it stood for U.F.O, unicorn, etc. Then, the U meets the P and they flew up in the sky

As I remember the other U memories, mine were...

U-Up (an old cartoon)
The U-N-I-T-E train (an old cartoon)
I Get A Kick Out Of U (sung by Ethal Mermaid)
Like the Way U Do (I don't recall watching it)
When I'm Calling U (sung by the AM's)
A short cartoon man and a tall man explain about the letter U
Thinking Of U (by the SS Beetles; "It's U, lads, or we will get crushed!")
Letters In Sand-U
U Really Got A Hold On Me (sung by Smokey Robinson)
Harvey Kneeslapper's "Take A Picture Of U" trick where he slaps the letter U on Fat Blue's head
Baby Natasha (as Superbaby) carries the U
The Yip-Yip Martians discover a U

Here are the other U memories I never watched.

1) The one where Lefty sends the U in rope to Ernie. I think I only saw parts of it on the Biography special

2) An old Cookie Monster skit where Ernie and Cookie teach the letter U. It's where Cookie plays the ukulele first, then he begins to eat it. I have the pictures of this skit on the SSU book.

3) The U Lecture (recited by Professor Hastings; available on the album, "Sesame Street: Sing the Alphabet")

Anyone remember the other "U" memories?

BlueAM

Reaction score
I just want to ask you a question:

Do you know what Ethel Mermaid looks like? She is, of course, a parody on Ethel Merman, but can you give me a full description of her (like the color of her hair, color of her skin, nose color, wardrobe, etc.)?

Thanks!

BlueAM

SillyRed

Reaction score
Like the way u do featured Melissa Etheridge playing guitar and singing and dancing with a letter u.

mikealan

Reaction score
I don't remember anything of Ethal Mermaid.

Do you remember any of the U memories I listed?

Soul H

Reaction score
Thinking of U

Does anyone know what the announcer said?

And what was that gigantic doowhacky that was hanging over their heads?

rjschex

Reaction score
More "U" memories:

"Without U, Units would be...nits!"/"Whoever heard of an I.O.?"/"Anybody wanna buy a used U?"

Boy buys a lowercase U from a store (numerous letters on the shelves), then gets a "p" to go with it--as he holds the word "up", he starts rising!

U-uniform

Soul H

Reaction score
Another classic U sketch was this cartoon where a professor teaches the word uniform. Under his teaching clothes he wears a football, baseball, sailor, soldier, band, policeman, fireman, mailman, cook and train-engineer uniform. And showing all those unifroms he's left in his underwear, to which he stands behind the U next to him to cover up.

Soul H

Reaction score
BlueAM said:
I just want to ask you a question:

Do you know what Ethel Mermaid looks like? She is, of course, a parody on Ethel Merman, but can you give me a full description of her (like the color of her hair, color of her skin, nose color, wardrobe, etc.)?

Thanks!

BlueAM
Well BlueAM, Ethel Mermaid had green skin, a lttle pink nose, brown hair, and her wardrobe was a mermaid outfit, while floating on a red lowercase u.

By the way, you gotta feel sorry for the poor shark that she repeatedly kicks.

Hope this helps.

drmusic_99

Reaction score
mikealan said:
2) An old Cookie Monster skit where Ernie and Cookie teach the letter U. It's where Cookie plays the ukulele first, then he begins to eat it. I have the pictures of this skit on the SSU book.
I remember two versions of that skit... the version on the show had Cookie Monster singing "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" (just like the Ape in the animated "A" sketch)... but on the album Ernie's Hits (possibly because of royalty issues) he sings "Looky looky looky, here comes Cookie."

mikebennidict

Reaction score
there was 1U cartoon where a lady says, U umbrulla. and something happened, maybe a wind current or something causing her to go up. and says UUUUUUUUUUUUU! can't rememebr much it was so long ago.