They've only Got One Another: A Muppet Christmas Story

We Got Us

Reaction score
>eats chocolate chip happily<
Learned much, at the feet of Master Toga, you have.
!
Truer words were never spoken. That is the understatement of the century. She's the reason I ever joined MC, took my fandom to a new level. And yet, I still wait on Robin to recover from that coma....

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
We Got Us said:
Truer words were never spoken. That is the understatement of the century. She's the reason I ever joined MC, took my fandom to a new level. And yet, I still wait on Robin to recover from that coma....
<Flush!> I am the reason! Oh, I am honored to hear that. You have no idea. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> for that! And I am SO glad you joined, and that you're writing, and YAY! Oh that made my day.

And... Robin. Yes. I'll take care of that one, really I will, sometime after I finish this little Christmas fic I've started. And in between updates of Heart of Gold. Or at least, that's the plan.

YAY! Oh, I'm so proud.

We Got Us

Reaction score
<Flush!> I am the reason! Oh, I am honored to hear that. You have no idea. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> for that! And I am SO glad you joined, and that you're writing, and YAY! Oh that made my day.

And... Robin. Yes. I'll take care of that one, really I will, sometime after I finish this little Christmas fic I've started. And in between updates of Heart of Gold. Or at least, that's the plan.

YAY! Oh, I'm so proud.
:sigh:In a perfect world--:smile: So...does she like the new chapter (s)? Unspeakably disappointed? Too flattered to point out the flaws? I'm dying here! But take your time, oh wise one....

(P.S. I love that Christmas story of yours! I didn't know there was more!)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Alright. I haven't done one of these in a while...

Starting with chapter one:

"Because it feels like Christmas."
:sing: It's in the singing of a street-corner choir...

"Hypothermia." Piped up Robin.
"No, no, that's hibernation."
<Snicker!> I love that mix-up. And yet, in a way... Robin wasn't far off!

And, since you did request constructive criticism... "Hypothermia," piped up Robin. is easier and less jarring to read than "Hypothermia." Piped up Robin. To put it all grammatically, consider the dialogue in quotation marks to be a subordinating clause of the sentence: "Blah blah something-or-other yadda yadda," said So-and-so. (For example.)

"The way I figure it, if we go wholesale on the tree, do only plastic ornaments, one color lights, and I mention that my uncle owns the tree farm, we should be able to fit it into the budget."
Goodness, what DOESN'T that boy's uncle own? Ah, that does sound like Scooter, though.

And, on the constructive criticism side... starting a new paragraph when a new person starts talking is incredibly helpful to your reader for keeping track of who is and is not speaking. I know you've been having formatting troubles, but if you could please make a priority of that, I would very much appreciate it.

Gut inspureshun tu hefe-a tu be-a cuukeeng fuud fur Chreestmus!"
Mock-Swedish Translator, na ja? I remember when I used to use that. Forget how I got out of the habit... It's alright as a starting point, but it's ultimately too intelligible to be accurate for Chef. My advice is to trust yourself. You've got a decent grasp on how the other Muppets talk; you can probably do better for Chef than a computerized generator. Don't start from a real English sentence--just get a general idea of what you want Chef to say, let a few key words be somewhat recognizable, and use "shmur de hur"-like gibberish for the rest. Just a tip. <pats We Got Us on the back>

In other news... I love the detail that they have to buy new ornaments every year. I presume they keep getting broken/eaten/blown up/destroyed in all ways imaginable and some unimaginable? Excellent.

Finally able face the cold and escape the rush of early morning, Kermit sat on his favorite seat on the front porch and watched his breath in the frosty air. The day was bright, and fog was lifting off the street and white-tipped grass. He pulled his robe tighter around him as a soft but cold breeze stirred the air and made shapes in the mist.
Have I mentioned that I love your descriptions? Because I love your descriptions.

And the whole scene between Kermit and Piggy... Kermit all squirmy and blushy, and all the togetherness talk... It makes me very happy.

Now, Chapter Two!

Sure, and a chorus line of girls...uh, for a big Jingle Bell Rock number!” Put in Scooter.
Uh-huh. Uh-huh, Scooter. Big number. That's ALL you're thinking about. Uh-huh. Totally. Yup. NO other motives WHAT so ever... Uh-huh. <snicker>

The show was going well, the rent was payed...or was it?
Kudos to you. First time I read this, I liked it very much as just general absent-mindedness. You know, an odd thought, "Oh, I should double-check that later..." And a nice detail, at that. But it was totally foreshadowing!

And then the landlady... <Gulp!> Ah, geez. I know she needs to make money, too, but... Sheesh.

The Muppets milled around uselessly, not wanting to sit down and look idle, not able to ignore the situation and go about things as usual. Kermit watched them: watched them eye the things they'd treasured in that house for years. Rowlf's piano in it's cozy place in the corner, Gonzo's cannon shoved halfway into the overflowing closet, the band's instruments in their various cases stacked against the wall, Scooter's skateboard in it's hazardous place by the door...
I love this. I love the details here, and the tension, and how you show us how everyone is hurting.

Well,” He said first. “I guess you know what's going on—“
“I don't.” Robin asked simply, and somehow his small voice and it's question hurt Kermit's ears.
<Whimper!> Gah! Pain! <Whimper!> (Well done, young grasshopper. :wink:)

The Christmas tree they had bought, the biggest, most cheerful one on the lot, was now forgotten in the back of the bus. The Christmas ornaments in the tattered boxes were just another thing to be hauled over to the old theater. The winter day had lost it's spirit—the lingering scent of the peppermint coffee had drifted off. Now it was only cold, outside of the house.
<Whimper!!!> Oh, gosh, I LOVE your descriptions... This paragraph says SO much. Just a collection of details, but isn't it amazing how much you can tell with that collection of details? The pain, the sadness, the loss of hope... And yet, the fact that the cold is outside of the house, and not inside. SO well done. Gosh I love it. This paragraph is an excellent example of why I love to write, and why I'm guessing you do, too.

That evening was even more beautiful than the morning, but colder. Purple and orange painted the streaks of cloud, and stars shown fiery and bright in contrast to the deep blue of the twilight sky. Kermit shivered as he watched the view, taking a minute to be idle, to rest.
So similar to and different from the scene of Kermit taking in the morning! I'd guess that evening was colder than the morning in more ways than one...

There were more cheerful murmurs now—things were less tense. Being together helped that. Kermit had come to know that as long as people were together, no fight was too big, no circumstance too shattering, to be healed by time and togetherness with warm people.
LOVE!

And I ALSO love the Kermit/Fozzie interaction. SO much. Very nicely done.

Chapter Three! No more boldface! Congratulations! Ah, and this Henry fellow seems to be love-struck. How adorable.

The girl Beau, I've never seen her before.”
Oh—that's a girl. She sings.”
<snicker>

Love all the dialogue you have of Muppets determining sleeping arrangements. And then this...

It wasn't the first time life had shown him it's easy come, easy go policy the hard way. And he had learned how to cope: That was half of life. The other half was learning how to enjoy yourself while you did so.
Oh, wise. Quite wise indeed. LOVE. On so many levels.

N-no, no thanks. I've...gotta get those wreathes set up. Thanks—anyway.” He hurried off, wondering why the freezing cold theater suddenly felt so hot.
Ah-ha! I have found a solution to the freezing theater problem! ...Or at least, Henry has. <Snicker>

Chapter Four! YAAAY!

I LOVE the conversation between Robin and Alice. (You may notice that I tend to love just about anything involving Robin... <cough>) Him insisting that she's one of them... Her hoping that she IS one of them... That last sentence at the end of the scene, showing hints of loneliness. Very nice. (And it involves Robin. <cough> <ahem> Yes. I'm totally unbiased here. Yup.)

Kermit waking up in the middle of the night, looking at all his friends... Excellent. I can certainly sympathize with insomnia... And I love him picturing Miss Piggy sleeping. And then the CONVERSATION WITH UNCLE DEADLY! Oh, it is SO good. SO very good. Kermit reflecting, thinking about Jim... And then THIS.

The phantom nodded slowly, and meaningfully. Then he pointed towards the menagerie snoring on the floor.“You have good people there frog.....noisy, irrelivant and trespassing, but good. That is going to make the difference in the long run, not how well things turn out for you. Good people would only willfully choose a worthy leader. They chose you. The only way you could disappoint them would be to give up the job.”
Two major things here. One: noisy, irrelevant and trespassing, but good. I love Uncle Deadly's opinion of the Muppets. Two: "The only way you could disappoint them would be to give up the job." That is SO true, and SO important for just about any sort of leader to remember.

Bottom line? This is really, really great stuff, and I can't wait to read more! So, MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We Got Us

Reaction score
Oooohhh wow. If my head doesn't explode, something around here better in a minute. Reading other people's quote-reviews or whatever you call those and nodding and smiling and chuckling and going 'Oh yeah, that was really good.' is something I've done so often, reading what you just wrote, I had to keep taking a deep breath and remembering it was actually my fic!! SO glad you liked it all! Wish I could go through each one of your honorable mentions and just pour out thank-yous! First thing I didn't think I would be able to do well, that made me go light-headed with relief when you praised, was Henry and Alice. I'm such a terrible romance writer, but in honor of dear Figgie I vowed to try, and now I've sort of found a way to weave them into the story. Second: You noticed Robin! Of course you would! I know you love Robin: (I'm the same way about Scooter...except maybe a little creepier cause' I'm his age...and, nevermind :wink:) I never, ever thought you would read this, but inspired by you as I was I couldn't resist using the little frogling as my precursor to scenes of emotion that would otherwise be a little hard to establish...like a certain somebody I admire does... (And he's just so adorable, isn't he? That Jerry Nelson voice...) Third: She likes the details! I thought I went a little overboard with them. But with the Muppets, because they have such distinct personalities and trademarks, it's easy to sum up their careers and trials and personalities with a prop. When someone says 'Rubber Chicken', who doesn't think Fozzie dying on a stage? (not literally!) And your criticism is well-taken. I'll make a concerted effort to try and start a different paragraph. If I know what your talking about (and I may not) I have been attempting that in the past and failing at times because of the spiteful forum editing system and my own incompetence with openoffice. If I have the same problem next chapter: it means I completely misunderstood what you meant and you may feel free to whack me over the head with something. :big_grin: Meanwhile, I'm off to dance for joy in the cold, and then to write more. Inspiration, inspiration, inspiration!

P.S. Figgie?! Where have you gone?! Come dance with me!!

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Chapter 4 was very heart-warming.

You definitely have a knack for writing for the Muppets, you capture their characters very well. Great job, anxious to read more, and hopefully write some more myself someday :smile:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Why didn't my computer recieve this?!!! Wigitus!!! I love you forever!! You even have the Count reviewing, Which is amazing btw, and Jim's passing, Uncle Deadly, Oh!! And how did you know I was a clutz too?:confused: Any hoo, I've missed you and I can't wait to read more on Thursday!! Love you Sweetie!!!:big_grin::smile:

We Got Us

Reaction score
Why didn't my computer recieve this?!!! Wigitus!!! I love you forever!! You even have the Count reviewing, Which is amazing btw, and Jim's passing, Uncle Deadly, Oh!! And how did you know I was a clutz too?:confused: Any hoo, I've missed you and I can't wait to read more on Thursday!! Love you Sweetie!!!:big_grin::smile:
Klutz, klutz, who's a klutz? Certainly not my Figgie! Have fun on your business trip! I'll miss you a TON, but it's good to know you didn't drop off the face of the earth. :stick_out_tongue:Bon voyage!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, WGU, with a little recommendation from my good friend Lisa, you managed to get me to do something that I very rarely do these days: Read fanfiction.

And, you know what? I just LOVED it. You hit the ball out of the park with pretty much every line of dialogue which can be totally read in the correct voices. I even read UD's voice as Matt Vogel! You rarely see Uncle Deadly used this well in stories! (I have a soft spot for him as he was a main character in the Alternate Universe fanfic series I worked on for a while). His brief appearance here as Kermit's guide was perfection on a stick.

We Got Us

Reaction score
Well, WGU, with a little recommendation from my good friend Lisa, you managed to get me to do something that I very rarely do these days: Read fanfiction.

And, you know what? I just LOVED it. You hit the ball out of the park with pretty much every line of dialogue which can be totally read in the correct voices. I even read UD's voice as Matt Vogel! You rarely see Uncle Deadly used this well in stories! (I have a soft spot for him as he was a main character in the Alternate Universe fanfic series I worked on for a while). His brief appearance here as Kermit's guide was perfection on a stick.
> Jumps at Lisa, kisses her< THANK YOU!! I have a soft spot for Uncle D. too, since seeing how he shined in 'The Muppets' and reading some fan-fics that explored his character in depth, I wanted to experiment with him and I'm glad it turned out well. I'm always worried when I try a character I'm not familiar with (or that I admire or love beyond what's healthy, like Rowlf) that I won't do a good job with them, so that made my day (yet again). I haven't written chapter five, so it may be a little while in the coming...you know these busy 'week before Christmas' days....but I'll try my best, promise!

P.S. My little sister wants me to tell you that she loves your avatar, being a huge Beau fan. :smile: