Theories why Bear came to an end

beaker

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone had any theories as to why the Bear character/Noel Macneil, the characters and the whole franchise was terminated by Disney? Not only is the main show gone, as well as any other spinoffs, but even the character and merchandise itself is no more.

From 1997 til the early 2000's, parents and kids alike were in wonderment from BITBBH. Everywhere I went that sold Bear stuff, kids really lit up and parents were quite happy to buy it up. The dvds are always rented out at my local library, I remember parents even enquiring to Disney store up to a few years ago what happened to Bear and the merch or dvds.

The last time Bear was used or seen was for the Jerry Lewis telethon in 2007, which has long been a traditional place for Muppet related appearances.

But why...why would Disney pretty much terminate and kill such a beloved, smart and wonderful children's show? Even as a "grownup" I could fully appreciate and get into the show, and see how well it musta connected to a much younger audience.

I greatly applaud what Disney has afoot for the Muppet gang, but I am confused and saddened as to why Disney has chosen to pack up what would still be a great franchise and series for kids. Especially compared to all the other stuff out there.

Princeton

Reaction score
A lot of people I've talked to seem to think that Whoopi Goldberg's guest appearance contributed to the cancellation.

sparklefairy

Reaction score
I'm so sad that my son was born too late to go to a bear " live," show or " meet," bear. My little man is almost 3 and loves bear so much.

There is so much rubbish on T.V for kids now. Bear always had good messages about friendship, love and how to be a good person. He could get these points across without preaching or talking down to children.
There were always things that children could relate to, such as starting school, or pre school, ( first day at mouse school). My son really could relate to tutter as he himself has started pre school. I could relate to bear as he sat in the parents waiting area lol! I had to chuckle as I was the same, waiting ( Or hiding!) in the staff room spying on my little man through the window feeling soooooo emotional :cry:

The songs are catchy without being overly annoying. The characters are funny, sweet, charming and capture that childhood innocence I wish we could all hold on to for a bit longer.

I'm so sad that there is no more bear :cry:

( and bear stuff if next to impossible to find now!)

NMac

Reaction score
It's complicated but I can say this: 1.) Whoopi had nothing to do with the demise and 2.) Disney completely supported the show and even came up with the spin-off, "Breakfast With Bear."

I'm very proud of the work Bear and I did and of everyone who helped make this show such a legacy in children's television. To everyone who came to "visit," thank you.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's such a beautifully filmed and crafted show. What appears seamless to us is likely far more complicated and expensive than we know. I hope they bring back Bear and Tutter someday. Things are cyclical so it's not out of the question. With the "Muppets Movie", "Power of the Dark Crystal" and "Happytime Murders" there could be a renaissance of puppetry that will inspire Disney to revive the beloved Bear. :cry:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see how hard it would be to TRY to rerun this series soemwhere (there's talk of a Disney Junior network, that would probably fit pretty good there) or at LEAST rerelease the DVD's (or release some new ones) under the Disney label like Lionsgate did with Wubulous World of Dr. Seuss. I don't think they'd even need a big new shiny project to relaunch the character, just reruns and DVD's and new merchandise. It's really depressing how Disney just has the same kind of shows Nick Jr. has... bleh... all the while letting this slip by. I really dislike how Mickey's Clubhouse came out, nor do I like Pooh and Tigger as detective super hero things... and Handy Manny is a lame attempt at being another country... aside from being an obvious clone of Bob the Builder, it tries but fails at being the Postman Pat/ Fireman Sam type show it wants to be.

At least give ol' Bear a cameo in the new movie.

Luke

Reaction score
Nmac .. and so you should be proud. One of the best childrens series and characters in many many years. Fantastic work from all involved, which gave lots of little ones much enjoyment, and quite a few "big ones" too lol.

It would be fabulous to see Bear cameo in a Muppet production sometime, if it were possible.

beaker

Reaction score
It's complicated but I can say this: 1.) Whoopi had nothing to do with the demise and 2.) Disney completely supported the show and even came up with the spin-off, "Breakfast With Bear."

I'm very proud of the work Bear and I did and of everyone who helped make this show such a legacy in children's television. To everyone who came to "visit," thank you.
And we thank you! In the 30 plus years I've been a huge Muppet/Henson related fan, your Bear character and his overall message and personality stands as one of my favorite characters. The "Bear brand" overall I feel is the best thing since Fraggle Rock. And even if the Jerry Lewis telethon ends up being the last Bear thing ever, Im grateful to have the dvds and vhs to
show my future kids. There's something just inherently soothing and celebrational about the big orange furball and that furrowed brow of curiosity. I know as well, we'd be happy to see you working in the capacity of Sesame/Henson/Muppet related productions or projects, as well as take off with your own creative works.

For many people, we'll continue to cha-cha-cha and sniff away long into the future:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
It would be fabulous to see Bear cameo in a Muppet production sometime, if it were possible.
Bear was at Muppetfest, but I think that even though Bear was technically part of the JHC "Muppet buyout", that Disney would see the character as part of the Muppets brand. It would be super cool tho.

I don't see how hard it would be to TRY to rerun this series soemwhere (there's talk of a Disney Junior network, that would probably fit pretty good there) or at LEAST rerelease the DVD's (or release some new ones) under the Disney label like Lionsgate did with Wubulous World of Dr. Seuss. I don't think they'd even need a big new shiny project to relaunch the character, just reruns and DVD's and new merchandise. It's really depressing how Disney just has the same kind of shows Nick Jr. has... bleh... all the while letting this slip by. I really dislike how Mickey's Clubhouse came out, nor do I like Pooh and Tigger as detective super hero things... and Handy Manny is a lame attempt at being another country... aside from being an obvious clone of Bob the Builder, it tries but fails at being the Postman Pat/ Fireman Sam type show it wants to be.

At least give ol' Bear a cameo in the new movie.
I agree 100% that Disney NEEDS to run Bear on one of their channels. Given how many episodes were produced, they could easily air it daily for some time to come. There's nothing at all dated about the feel or freshness of the show, and I guarantee the show's charm, kookyness, catchy songs and warmth would deeply resonate with children today. It's so rare for Henson to create a really magical post Fraggle Rock kid's show, and I feel they struck gold with Bear. What puzzles me is how Disney bought/retained ownership of the Bear property in 2004, but have done very little(if anything) since then. How does Disney not see it as a goldmine, even if its just endless reruns and new dvds/merchandise?

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score
This is the very thread that encouraged me to start posting here again. I had to say something.

I wish Disney would have at least said something regarding the anniversary plans. To say something like they tried doing this and that but it didn’t work out. I would have preferred it rather than leaving us hanging. That way we wouldn’t assume: “OH! DISNEY DOESN’T CARE ABOUT BEAR AT ALL!”

They made it look like those who spread the word about the plans were lying… D:

I still can’t get over that disappointment I had when next to nothing happened. It makes me sad to know that all the things they had in store for Bear ‘n’ Co. never came to existence.

I got back into the series in late 2006, so I missed a LOT of what went on. Probably the most I regret missing out on were TV appearances by Bear. I’ve only been able to see two but I hardly saw either of them. The first when my sister let me know he was on “Hollywood Squares” (Only saw up from the “law school” quote), and second on the 2007 Jerry Lewis telethon (This appearance I saw even less of. I didn’t know when he was going to be on, so I tried watching it from the beginning. I was forced to go to bed. When he finally did appear the next morning, my brother kept preventing me from seeing much of it since I wasn’t finished with something for school. That one little girl he was talking to looked through him like a glass of water… ಠ_ಠ Heartbreaking.) I desperately want to see Bear’s appearances from The WDW Parade and The Wayne Brady Show. (Could someone please post or send me those if you can? :excited: )

I know it’s already been said but it’s true: BitBBH is a heck of a lot better than what’s shown today. There are a few gems out there, but there will never be one with such quality and feel as this. Bear is such a keeper! I hope that whatever the problem(s) may have been can get resolved soon or whatever that needs to be done in order for a revival to take place. The franchise doesn’t deserve to be packed away in the vault like some forgotten memory; it’s special. Disney doesn’t know what they’re missing here!

By the way, why do people think Whoopi Goldberg has to do with the cancellation? If it was, all they’d have to do is stop airing the only episode she guest stared in, not the entire series all together.

I don't see how hard it would be to TRY to rerun this series somewhere.
I can totally imagine Bear on the Hub. Didn't they say they had "more Muppets than you can shake a Muppet at"? :smile: With Fraggle Rock already on there, it's even more fitting.

Did a double-take at "Bear and I" as I was reading. Some how I forgot whose account that was. :embarrassed: lol

Thank you Mr. M C:

Thanks to everyone else who also brought so much joy to my life and others through this fantastic work. ^u^

Ohmygosh. If this can happen, it NEEDS to. ._. A crossover would be WONDERFUL. I’d love to see how they’d react to each other.