Then & Now

mrhogg

Reaction score
Great stuff! Why did you change the colour? Did that have to do with the available fabric, or was that a choice for another reason? Did you rebuild the puppet, or did you just redo the fabric?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Nice! I think he looks better with the green (then again, I like green). And a very nice job with the seams!

yetiman

Reaction score
Great job! That side-view comparison really shows off how good of a job you did with the new seams. I think the lighter green shows off the puppet's features better than the dark green, too.

I'm actually working on a T-Rex puppet right now, too. I'm going to put up some posts once he's a bit farther along.

Again, nice puppet!

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Great stuff! Why did you change the colour? Did that have to do with the available fabric, or was that a choice for another reason? Did you rebuild the puppet, or did you just redo the fabric?
I had always wanted a lighter green fabric, but didn't have the best resources at the time I made the first puppet. I just used a scrap I had lying around from a different project. When using a fabric that dark in color I found a lot of details get lost, since the difference between the color and shadows is so minimal.

As for rebuilding, the only new materials I incorporated were the outside fabric and the eyes, which were clear Easter eggs I painted white from the inside. I liked the effect and I think I will continue to use that for making eyes. I also remade the finger grips in the mouth plate, and reinforced the mouth plate with gaff tape instead of duct tape.

The other new step for me in this puppet was the stripe details on his back and tail. I painstakingly sewed them all on by hand from the inside so it looks like one piece of striped fabric. It's very hard to get the stripes to come out even that way though. I think I would machine-sew that part next time.