The "You know what?" thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And to think he used to be an Air Force Sergeant and had to yell at people all the time . . . and he was so miserable, that he vowed when he got out of the service, he would never raise his voice ever again.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It just occurred to me, concerning the Addams Family:
Lurch is not a member of the family, he's only the butler.

But the employment agency that referred him to the family did a bang-up job!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On a similar note, some people assume that Grandpa's last name is Munster since he's a member of the household family, but in actuality, his last name is Dracula - not only because he's the original Count Dracula (in-universe that is), but he's Lily's father, and Lily's last name is Munster only because she's married to Herman Munster.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yvonne DeCarlo was actually a year older than Al Lewis. But under all the make-up, and black-and-white images, you'd never know.

But during the show's run, both Herman and Lily called him "Grandpa", not just Eddie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And interestingly, because Yvonne De Carlo was a big movie starlet at the time, both Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis were apprehensive about the producers bringing her in to replace Joan Marshall after the pilot, because they figured she'd probably be a diva who'd make the production a dread for everyone else because she felt doing a television series would be beneath her (as was the mindset of a lot of movie stars back then, hence why the series adaptation of M*A*S*H didn't have any of the actors from the movie reprising their roles, except for Gary Burghoff because he was still relatively unknown at the time).

Joan Marshall (as Phoebe instead of Lily) had no personality, and her performance was bland and wooden, not to mention the character looked too similar to Morticia Addams (but Joan sure did have really beautiful eyes); likewise, Happy Derman as Eddie in the pilot was anything but Happy: Eddie was a lot more feral and an obnoxious brat.

And of course, thanks to STREET GANG, we all know that Beverly Owen getting herself fired from the show was all a ploy she and future hubby Jon Stone cooked up so she could be let go from her contract, freeing her to relocate to New York.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And interestingly, because Yvonne De Carlo was a big movie starlet at the time, both Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis were apprehensive about the producers bringing her in to replace Joan Marshall after the pilot, because they figured she'd probably be a diva who'd make the production a dread for everyone else because she felt doing a television series would be beneath her (as was the mindset of a lot of movie stars back then, hence why the series adaptation of M*A*S*H didn't have any of the actors from the movie reprising their roles, except for Gary Burghoff because he was still relatively unknown at the time).
I thought the reason television shows based on movies had different casts had more to do with the actors being too expensive or too busy with their film careers (or maybe just not interested in playing the roles regularly), as opposed to it being beneathe them.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Interestingly, the opposite seems to be true now. More and more well known movie actors are moving to TV, and TV shows are more highly regarded than movies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think it's less that TV is more highly regarded than movies now, and more that actors are realizing once they get older and there's less work for them in cinema, they got to turn to another outlet to make money, so might as well turn to TV. Notice it's mostly middle-aged and older movie stars who have been turning to TV lately.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like Elliot Gould might be a television bad luck charm. He's been in the cast of a few shows I really liked (Baby Bob, Mulaney) that got canceled after only one season. And now he's on the new show 9JKL, a show I really like. I hope it lasts another season, but if it gets canceled before the next season, I guess I'll say I called it.

Though has Elliot Gould ever been a regular on a show that lasted more than one season (yes, I know I could look it up)?