The "You know what?" thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
OMG, yes!

http://www.theatermania.com/broadwa...nt-do-stars-deserve-applause-just-_82536.html

I've said this before! There are a number of live-audience shows on TV that are notorious for this! SANFORD AND SON is probably one of the worst offenders: every single actor on the show is met with an explosion of applause and cheering at their first entrance in every episode! The actors always just stand there and idle about until the audience settles down and resumes the scene.

At least SEINFELD wised up and told the audience to stop doing that everytime Kramer entered.
The last few seasons of "Happy Days" suffers because of that too. Ruins the pace. For a while it became common for Fonzie and Chachi to get a standing ovation and screams from the teenyboppers, because they were such HUNKS!
But towards the end, they were even cheering for freakin' POTSIE.
Kills any suspension of disbelief.
Enter Henry Winkler. Rest of cast, stand there, twiddle your thumbs, look at your watch, and after five minutes, THEN the cheesy dialogue and flimsy plot can start.
Nice deal.

Then, God help us, if a couple KISSES!!! "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

There was one episode of "Mork and Mindy" when Robin Williams entered to thunderous applause. He actually stood up on the living room table, and the camera followed him, and you could see there was no ceiling, and all the big studio lights hanging down.
The only thing that would've made that moment perfect is if he dropped his pants.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
See, this is one of the reasons why when it comes to older sitcoms, I have a stronger preference for the single-camera sitcoms that were laugh track-only: no hyper audience disrupting the pacing or flow of the show; not to mention, the more cinematic approach of single-cam means you get a better variety of angles of the sets that you wouldn't otherwise see on a multi-cam audience show, because, well, that's where the audience is sitting.

THE ODD COUPLE is my biggest exception to the rule: it started out as a single-cam laugh track-only sitcom in its inaugural season, then switched to multi-cam with an audience afterwards at the insistence of not only Tony Randall and Jack Klugman, but Garry Marshall as well. I'm not saying the first season wasn't good (it was), but the show really came to life when it switched to an audience, and the performances really improved - especially how lively and emotive Tony could get, making Felix seem much more like a happy-go-lucky kind of guy compared for the uptight fuss bucket he was in the first season.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
@fuzzygobo mentioned the "WOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!" every time somebody kissed. Well, I think 90s sitcoms were the worst offenders. It's at least a little understandable when the audience is young and half of them haven't had their first kiss. But when it was adult shows like say, Friends or Living Single, it was just weird. Like, what the heck, you are a grown woman, have you never seen anyone kiss before?

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
You know how invested people can get into whatever characters they may ship.
*cough cough* Like me during my Sunil x Pepper phase. *cough cough*

(They're from the show Littlest Pet Shop if you didn't know)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Back to the Future Part II, in 2015, old Biff figures out that Doc built a time machine.... Wouldn't it have been something if he'd figured out that Marty was the same person as Calvin Klein? Seems like he didn't, I wonder if the 2015 Biff had forgotten about his old enemy.

Of course, it can be assumed that he didn't focus so much on Calvin in that timeline before he traveled back to 1955. Without Biff going back in time to help himself become rich, Biff didn't wake up to Marty after George knocked him out, which likely fueled his hatred of him (and without that part of the timeline, Biff and his goons didn't know that Marty escaped the trunk he was locked in, unless somebody told them about seeing him on stage at the prom).

Seeing the recent "Hard Times/Time Served" storyarcs in the comic books, in which it's revealed that Biff was responsible for Uncle Joey going to jail (though, as mentioned elsewhere, he would have saved himself jail time if he told on Biff). Makes me wonder if Biff had been responsible for Joey's arrest in all timelines. Somehow I doubt he would have been so responsible in the original timeline (before George stood up to Biff), and I actually doubt the 1985A Biff was responsible (but you never know, considering his connections and ability to frame people). I can't wait for the final part of this storyarc to come out so I can see how it all wraps up.

Also, it seems like Back to the Future Wiki is unclear on when new issues come out. There's been quite a few times when I looked at the wiki pages for upcoming issues only to go to comic book stores and not see the new issues (and I know, the release date is not always exact), one time I actually asked an employee and saw on their computer that it would be another month before the release of the next issue (after it was passed the date the wiki said), and it seems like the wiki lists the exact same October date for the last few issues (not to mention the next issue).

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
See, this is one of the reasons why when it comes to older sitcoms, I have a stronger preference for the single-camera sitcoms that were laugh track-only: no hyper audience disrupting the pacing or flow of the show; not to mention, the more cinematic approach of single-cam means you get a better variety of angles of the sets that you wouldn't otherwise see on a multi-cam audience show, because, well, that's where the audience is s

THE ODD COUPLE is my biggest exception to the rule: it started out as a single-cam laugh track-only sitcom in its inaugural season, then switched to multi-cam with an audience afterwards at the insistence of not only Tony Randall and Jack Klugman, but Garry Marshall as well. I'm not saying the first season wasn't good (it was), but the show really came to life when it switched to an audience, and the performances really improved - especially how lively and emotive Tony could get, making Felix seem much more like a happy-go-lucky kind of guy compared for the uptight fuss bucket he was in the first season.
Happy Days followed The Odd Couple's lead (for better or worse), going from single cam/laugh track to multicam/live audience. In both shows, it's a drastic change in the living room layouts, probably accommodate the cameras.

It's also typical of 70's sitcoms, to see street shots of New York (Odd Couple) Chicago (Newhart) or Minneapolis (Mary Tyler Moore), then an upward pan of the hi-rise with one light on, then next shot, we're back on the Paramount soundstage for more mayhem from Felix and Oscar.

But there were a number of times, especially early seasons of All in the Family, live audience reactions really paid off- the biggest payoff was Archie getting kissed by Sammy Davis Jr. plus a number of seasons later, Edith's escape from her would-be rapist.
Moments like that intensify the performance, rather than detract from it.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I saw this pics on Google Images and they made me think of the kind of painted canvas flats we might see on SST in the old days - like across the street, or outside an apartment window, or even Muppet inserts:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
All I hear is the letter building music... You know, the skits where letters are pulled up to the top of the buildings.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
I saw this pics on Google Images and they made me think of the kind of painted canvas flats we might see on SST in the old days - like across the street, or outside an apartment window, or even Muppet inserts:

Wow, those do look very Sesame-ish.