The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Lately, I've realized that in the short Duck Dodgers and the 24 1/2th Century, Marvin the Martian is really just a designated villain, as opposed to being a true villain as usual. In most shorts, he's clearly a villain, planning to blow up the Earth or kidnap an earthling for study, but here, he's just claiming a planet in the name of his home planet, the very thing Duck Dodgers is doing. We know that Dodgers claims the planet in the name of the Earth because it has the last remaining source of the shaving cream atom, but we really don't know why Marvin needed to claim it for Mars. Maybe he had evil motivations, maybe it was for the same reason as Dodgers, or maybe it's for a similar reason. Yeah, he did show up right after Duck Dodgers claimed the planet and claimed it himself without knowing it was already claimed, and maybe he is fighting a little dirty, even getting the upper hand in his battles against Duck Dodgers. For all we know, both could just be fighting for their planets (like how people fight for their countries).

I've been meaning to list this under Designated Villain on TV Tropes, either that or Gray and Grey Morality. And I just recently saw on TV Tropes that the cartoon is an allegory for armed races. This is the first I've read that (could it have been mentioned in the audio commentary and I just didn't notice?).

I know that the sequel, Duck Dodgers and the Return of the 24 1/2th Century, is disliked by fans, but I don't think it's that bad. I like the animation, especially the sparkling effects on the ship (was that done by computer?). I like the music (which sounds like music for a typical '70s adventure cartoon). But it also goes nowhere. This time, Marvin is truly a villain, as he plans to destroy the Earth, and yet Daffy doesn't come to that realization after he's told (unlike in Hare-Way to the Stars when Marvin tells Bugs this, Bugs similarly doesn't come to the realization at first but does within a few seconds). Marvin decides to introduce Gossammer to Duck Dodgers without really knowing that he's supposed to be stopping him. Porky saves the day by giving Gossammer a hair cut (and Marvin doesn't seem to be concerned), then Duck Dodgers tries to zap Porky just for making a bunch of puns (and there's a bit of missed opportunities - we don't get puns for "cut it out!" and I think Dodgers says something else that could have had a pun) without them defeating Marvin.

I know that the cartoon is longer when it's shown as part of the Daffy Duck's Thanks-for-Giving Special while portions are cut when it's a stand-alone short, so maybe the longer version makes more sense. I have seen that special, the first time I saw this short, but it's been a long time since I last saw the special and at the time I didn't know that the short version was always edited. I read online that the longer version indeed had Porky defeating Marvin, by trapping him in a straight jacket but then Marvin still manages to send a missile for the Earth. I think I first saw the short on its own a few years after I first saw the special, and I felt like there was something different about Daffy's talk with Porky after he defeated Gossammer from how I remembered it in the special.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just realized something.

I am shocked that a bootlegged dub of The Angry Birds Movie didn't become a hit (or at least forced viewing) in North Korea.

Seriously.

It would have fit their propaganda narrative so well. They could have used the Pigs to represent Western ideals and Capitalistic decadence. The Pigs even threw a freaking Cowboy show. It's so freaking on the nose it should have been. It's not like anyone else overthought the concept of pigs trying to sucker birds so they can steal their eggs and used it to fit some twisted point of view before.

Though, nothing will ever be as good as the Israeli TV sketch that pitches the birds' and pigs' plight as their own problems with their part of the world. Can't post it here, because language...but look up Angry Birds Peace Treaty on youtube. You won't be sorry.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's kind of ironic that Bella Thorne has come out (as bi, that is), because haven't people been speculating for a while that she and Zendaya were really lovers?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It's kind of ironic that Bella Thorne has come out (as bi, that is), because haven't people been speculating for a while that she and Zendaya were really lovers?
They speculate that everyone are lovers. Characters from almost every TV show, band members, you name it. If it exists, people ship it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I see where a subscriber of mine has described my YouTube channel as being "educational and informative," which is . . . not very accurate at all, lol. I guess because of the puppetry, that's the conclusion that was drawn, but save for the odd pledge drive footage I've uploaded from the past, there's hardly any educational or informative content on my channel at all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently, I've watched the Jeffersons episode "The House That George Built", where after a near-death experience, George decides he wants to be remembered by the world, so he first decides to write an autobiography, then he cancels the autobiography in favor of opening a George Jefferson museum, and the whole time, those closest to him feel both are bad ideas. And I side more with George than them.

I'm guessing that they just think it's ridiculous that he wants to do either when he's not a particularly famous person, not the kind that the general public would really care about, and I'm guessing they really don't want him to be disappointed when either is a failure (and the museum proves to be a failure, at least on opening day), but I can't help but feel like they genuinely don't want George to do this stuff, regardless of whether they make a profit (and it does make sense that the maid acts this way, since she tends to dislike George). And yet I have trouble seeing the ridiculousness of it. When George takes his friends to the museum on opening day and starts the tour, with curtains raising to show various memorabilia, I can tell that it's supposed to be funny, I feel like maybe the humor comes from the ridiculousness, but when watching it, I really can't see what the big deal is.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I can't go anywhere on the internet anymore without hearing about "Stranger Things".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since nostalgia comes in 20-year cycles and the whole world is nostalgic about the 90s right now (like I said, come 2020, we'll start reminiscining about what a grade decade the Turn of the Millennium was), I guess shows like SEINFELD, FRASIER, FRIENDS, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN, WILL & GRACE, and other such 90s shows really can be consider "classics" in the truest definition of the word now (which is still hard for me to believe); after all, music from the 60s was already considered "oldies" by the 80s.