The "You know what?" thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any show about a kid (or a group of kids) either trapped or voluntarily in a magical world/alternate dimension is doomed to have the characters stuck there because no one knew of closure back in the 70's and 80's. I think it was strictly enforced to keep the show on infinite reruns without having the kids get wise and stop watching.

As I know of, I didn't watch enough Kidd Video to know what their fate was at the "end" of the series.

Captain N (depending on if you want to count the truncated third season or not) either ends with Kevin getting a weird virus and having half the characters go on a "Fantastic Voyage" to save him or a standard plot about Final Fantasy, not the big epic battle with Mother Brain the show should have concluded with (heck, she only shows up once in the third season, poorly drawn to boot). And I guess Kevin stayed in Videoland to the chagrin of his parents who he's missing and presumed dead to them.

Cyberchase? Well... I think they cured Mother Board, but then they took it back, and while they set something great up with a rival for Hacker, the show just...disappeared. There were a few more episodes, but then PBS stopped really airing them. At least they could go home whenever they wanted.

Galaxy High School. It officially ends with a pretty good dream sequence episode about how everyone else moved on with their lives and Doyle's stuck as just that jock that peaked in High School, but done in such a way that it's more of an allegory (he becomes a giant for some reason after he wakes from a coma while seeing all his classmates grow up and move on to their careers). Other than that...I dunno? Aimee and Doyle graduated, maybe?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I love how one of the recent Photoplasties in Cracked has one pining over the fruit-shaped Trix pieces from their childhood, even though the round ones they have now predate them. Funny, because many years back I remember people waxing nostalgic about the spherical bits and disliking the fruit shapes on a nostalgia-based site I used to frequent before I joined Muppet Central.

But maybe, just maybe, reviving the old fruit shapes would be a great way to get lazy Millennials to eat cereal again. :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH! That's the reason I stopped going to Cracked. Than and the obviously frustrated film students constantly crapping on every new movie for not being exactly like the ones they grew up on, all while defending horrible stuff because it's "cool." There was like, one or two that had a point, but everything else felt like "WAAAAAAAH! I grew up and the world surprisingly changed around me!" Yeah, I miss Chip N' Dale ice cream pops too, but I'm not going to be butthurt about it. Of course I've also always hated how "green" became sour apple instead of lime, so I agree to that.

Still, the thing about Trix that bugs me is that it was always larger Kix sized corn balls with 3 or 4 fruit flavors. Then they made fruit shaped ones and threw in "more" flavors, and they really weren't as good (not enough to complain about). Sure, a lot of kids grew up with that change, but it's just myopic to not realize that's how they started. Not that I did get the cereal frequently when I was younger, probably not at all. I did have a memory of eating it once when I was extremely little, but I never frequented the stuff until I was much, much older.

Of course, the one thing I can complain about a current version of a cereal is that before my parents would ever let me have any of the Pebbles cereals, they always came with prizes, usually of the Flintstone Character variety. Now I buy them every so often (a little Pebbles goes a long way for me), and they don't do that anymore.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yesterday, I read that Warner Bros. celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1997, and that's the same year when Warner Bros. merged with Turner Entertainment and, as a result, re-acquired it's film library that was sold in 1959. It's like it's the perfect anniversary present. Makes me wonder if that's what motivated the merger.

I love how one of the recent Photoplasties in Cracked has one pining over the fruit-shaped Trix pieces from their childhood, even though the round ones they have now predate them.
I've seen a Facebook post (maybe it's from Cracked, can't remember) that pointed out that Trix cereal used to be fruit shaped and is now round. And I was quick to reply (as I think many others were as well) that that's how they originally were. I think they made a big deal about the fruit shaped change when it happened. I didn't even know that they changed it back.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Who ultimately decided what gets observed on what day? How come you and I weren't consulted?

What if you really desired May 10 to be National Soft Taco Day, but that got vetoed down by the power-that-be because it was already designated National Cookie Dough Day?

Could you hire a lawyer to file an appeal?
Does Hallmark have a section so you can buy cards for a particular day?
How many holidays can you take off from work on religious grounds?

If it's National Drink Orange Juice After Brushing Your Teeth Day (don't try this folks!) on July 1, what day do they celebrate it in Canada?

Does any of this crap matter?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ted Williams, the homeless man with the golden voice, was planning on running for president this election. Now there's a candidate who would have certainly gotten my vote: he understands what it's like to have nothing and to be in need . . . something that most politicians (again, a certain party in particular) can't seem to grasp or comprehend, because they've got theirs, and that's all that matters to them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So... Teletubbies made a grand return to television on Nick Jr recently.

All I ask is why?

mr3urious

Reaction score
So... Teletubbies made a grand return to television on Nick Jr recently.

All I ask is why?
Who exactly was asking for this, other than DHX Media who now owns the series? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a little too early to be a 90's throwback. Maybe in a couple more years? Maybe in five years when the 00's come back? I am starting to see adult nostalgic Barney merchandise, and much has my feelings about the character have changed over time, I still can't really fathom it.

I'm of the mindset, probably in the minority, that realizes the show was a tongue in cheek thing for Britain that the rest of the world got, but didn't understand. Like the thing about Tinky Winky was totally intended. Sort of like how 66 Batman was written in such a way that kids thought it sincere and adults knew it was self parody. Only it doesn't come off as obvious. It's still a rancid little show and it dumbed down kid's television worse than the large guy in suit fad of the early 90's, I still hate the darn thing, but I no longer think that the show was sincere. At least not 100% sincere.

But, it's only on Nick Jr the channel. I don't think this will be that successful of a relaunch, even for nostalgia sake.