The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it's because DreamWorks tends to have just a LITTLE more subtext to their movies: they have slightly more adult humor and they get away with it, whereas Pixar usually plays it a little more safe most of the time.
It's quite the opposite. Sort of until recently, but much as I actually liked Turbo, it was pretty banal. With Pixar's MU movie, at least the heroes wind up losing in the end, but getting back on their feet. No, studios want to copy early Dreamworks (the likes of Shrek and Sharktale) and make "edgy" movies with adult jokes that fall completely flat, and are forced in hard. Pixar tends to vary from kiddy friendly flick to deep meaningful story to somewhere in between. Dreamworks has gotten steadily better since Over the Hedge, and they really hit their stride with Kung Fu Panda, HTTYD, and Megamind (which is so depressingly underrated, and pretty much the last clever Superhero parody I've seen). But it seems third party studios would rather make sassy talking animal flicks that are at best generic. There are some good surprises in there. Despicable Me (1+2), Igor... even Hotel Transylvania was pretty good (eh, well, I have a biased about Monster Mash type things, if that explains the last two).

beaker

Reaction score
Wasnt bad enough Disney disgraced movie theaters with their war propaganda cheapquel "Planes"...now they got sequel to that soon...ugh

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They had already announced, before the first one even came out, that it was going to be a trilogy.

Slackbot

Reaction score
They said that about Oogieloves, and we'll see if that comes to pass.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wasnt bad enough Disney disgraced movie theaters with their war propaganda cheapquel "Planes"...now they got sequel to that soon...ugh
As D'Snowth said, they planned the sequel well in advance. They had every intention of forcing this franchise down kid's throats and making sub-franchises of upstart talking vehicles that learn a lesson.

And I wouldn't even give Planes the time of day to call it war propaganda (not that there is any in the film that I know of). It's not even good for that. It's a flat version of Cars with all the underlying small town messages removed. Of course, I'm sure the sequel will have a much better plot than racing. Still, I want no part of it. And we all know why.

Dane *&^%$ Cook. If it were Jon Cryer like they originally wanted, I would have thrown 6 bucks its way. But I cannot abide by that overrated comic that only d-bags like.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Special thanks to TheAnnotatXperiment for bringing us this: A movie from India that takes crap to the next level by not only being poorly animated and edited, but by providing dialogue with no voices!

I give you Theevan!

Video Brinquedo is starting to look top-notch by now, isn't it? :big_grin:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Holy Toledo. That makes the Masters of the Universe Sim-type movie I did voice work for look like Avatar.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Once again, getting back onto the subject of sequels, I hear-tell now that DreamWorks is turning HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON into a trilogy.

Now, I love HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, I felt it was DreamWorks' best non-Shrek movie, when I heard about it being made into a trilogy, all I could do was roll my eyes... with sequels being an overused gimmick like 3D, I don't look forward to sequels at all anymore, that part of me has died. But it's okay, somebody's gotta keep Drtooth off the streets. Okay, that didn't make sense.

Drtooth

Reaction score
HTTYD seems like a film series epic enough to warrant a trilogy. I still haven't seen it and my only exposure is the Christmas special (or whatever the heck that was)... I don't know how the cartoon series figures in for storytelling.

But I agree... there's too much focus on making every film a franchise. Ice Age didn't need four films. Much as I liked the pirates and the grandmother, the film had nothing interesting to say.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The series is kinda dull if you want my honest opinion. There's a lot of potential, but it doesn't seem like they know what direction to go in. It's really about their everyday lives in Berk, which doesn't prove to be very interesting at all. The Dragons barely play any role. At least, from the few episodes I've seen. It could just be I watched a few duds.