The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

AquaGGR

Reaction score
That is pretty nice for a third-party company...

Speaking of third-party companies, I just watched a trailer to Hoodwinked, since I've never seen the film. The story itself looks pretty good but man, is that animation awful!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's another new movie coming out, this time from South Africa.

It looks like it will be chock full of the usual 3rd-party CGI kiddie film stuff, but at least the animation looks beautiful for a 3rd-party attempt.
So it's essentially HAPPY FEET, but with African animals instead of penguins.

And why does Charlie Adler voicing all those wombats or whatever they are remind me of those Fiji tribesmen from THE CHIPMUNK ADVENTURE? I was half-expect to him them yell, "Worry Burry! Get runky!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Surprisingly not half bad. I'd almost actually watch that. Even the juvenile gags are less juvenile than that Turkey thing.

Speaking of third-party companies, I just watched a trailer to Hoodwinked, since I've never seen the film. The story itself looks pretty good but man, is that animation awful!
I can't say I ever cared for the look of those movies. I do like how the Wolf looks, but the humans are kinda off. I still haven't actually seen the first one, yet want to. It's a shame the second one went through all that script doctoring and throwing the Edwards brothers under a bus. I still think the sequence when they're on the train delicately balanced, and then the wolf asks for some gum, causing it to fall over completely was hilarious and worth the price of admission.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Since we've wandered toward some non-dreadful works, here's a little something for you to consider: Sita Sings the Blues.

Made almost single-handedly by Nina Paley, drawing from the Ramayana of Valmiki, the blues songs of Annette Hanshaw, and her personal life, SSTB is definitely an art film. It's not one for the mall-crawling masses. But I loved it, as did my mother and my Dragon*Con buddy Kathy.

If you're interested, go ahead and watch it for free. It's legal; Nina doesn't believe in copyrights and has explicitely stated thay anyone is free to download, watch, copy, distribute, exhibit, and create derivative works based on it. Me, I liked it enough to buy one of the DVDs from her store as a way of saying thanks with a few dollars.

Oh--as a puppetty bonus, the commentary sections of the film star three Indian shadow puppets. Some of their dialogue is hilarious.

Drtooth

Reaction score

AquaGGR

Reaction score

This looks way worse than the last time I saw it. Looks like a portion of an unfinished Gamecube game.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly don't see why this isn't the laughing stock of the internet. I really don't. Even Oogieloves looks more professional than that. Oogie-freaking-loves.

And I don't know who's worse... that Rabbit or that annoying Shrek ripoff Pig.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's another example of an indie studio making a pretty good looking little film. In fact, for a first film of a smaller studio, it ain't half bad. May not be Pixar quality, but it's definitely as good as most CGI television shows are today.

Beating the Last Flight of the Champion dead horse, this is what a smaller studio should accomplish. And they managed to get some top name voice acting in there. The film has Leonard Nemoy, Samuel L Jackson, AND Jim Cummings. And I was about to write it off as some Madagascar knockoff. Seriously, Omnipulse... these guys schooled you on every level.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
There are some student films that were made with free software that look like Pixar compared to Last Flight of the Champions.