The usage of Link Hogthrob in the 1980's

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Did anyone notice that Link Hogthrob appeared a lot in the 80's? Why is that?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Did anyone notice that Link Hogthrob appeared a lot in the 80's? Why is that?
I don't think he was really used that much in the 1980s, at least not when compared to other characters as major/minor as he was. He was used in the last season (1980-1981) as much as he was in previous seasons, and he had a few featured parts in The Muppets Go to the Movies which was made around the time the show ended, but then he was pretty much a background character until The Jim Henson Hour in 1989. I think his only speaking part between 1981 and 1989 was in 1985's The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years (well, that and the animated Link in Little Muppet Monsters).

As far as 1980s specials go, Link was in The Muppets Go to the Movies, The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show, the 30th anniversary special, and A Muppet Family Christmas. In both FMPS and MFS he was just in the background, no dialogue. And in MFS he didn't appear until the start of the ending carol medley. He wasn't seen in the truck traveling with the others, he wasn't given any special introduction, he wasn't seen hanging around the farmhouse before that... He just suddenly appeared.

Though it is weird that out of all classic supporting characters he was suddenly brought back to prominience on The Jim Henson Hour (even having his own plotline in one episode). He, Gonzo, and Kermit were the only TMS characters used heavily in the controll room scenes, while others were just used in short sketches. I know that Frank Oz and Richard Hunt had limited availability during the show's run, but it's odd that hardly any of Jerry Nelson's classic characters were used. And Jim Henson's characters were limited to two appearances on the show (Rowlf made a few more but only two in MuppeTelevision).

But I wonder if they were trying to make Link a major character again at the time. He was quite prominient on The Jim Henson Hour, and then he tagged along with the gang in The Muppets at Walt Disney World (and even got some dialogue, though none of the characters who traveled with Kermit were silent in that special). Then again he wasn't in Muppet Vision 3D or Here Come the Muppets.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Link was used in the Jim Henson hour souly for the purpose of a dumb character. Fran and who ever played Lindenburgh where somewhat getting used to the more adult situation. Kevin instantly got two characters, Clifford and Leon, Jerry only had one major character, Beard, with some appearances by Camilla, and Dave, being the nut, had two main characters. Out of the main cast, Vicky, Digit, Lindenburgh, Clifford, Beard, Leon, Kermit, Bean, Flash, Kermit, and Gonzo, Link was the established moron, and who better? Jim's other characters are Pun spewing Rowlf, WiseCracker Waldorf, Groovy Good Doctor Teeth, and the just insane Chef.

As for the whole MFC, Link, along with some other Muppets who weren't in Fozzie's truck, (Pops, Crazy Harry, Bobby Benson, Lewis Kazager, Nigel, Droop, Foo-Foo, Newsman, exct), I think they arrived via the Courtesy Car and driven by Pops.

Link's appearance in Muppets go to Hollywood baffled me. He only appeared ONCE. His addition to the Muppets at Walt Disney was awesome, giving Jim someone else besides his main four.

Also, here's a question. Why wasn't Lew Zealand in the Disney one? Jerry only had Camilla, Floyd, Robin, and Emily, giving him one of the lower character counts, by this I mean.
Kevin only had Clifford.
Steve had Bean, and Rizzo. Though three of his other characters had non-speaking roles (Sprocket, Foo-Foo, and Lips.)
Frank had Fozzie, Animal, Piggy, and the Hands of Chef (Why wasn't Sam included for this matter either?)
Dave had Gonzo, Zoot, Beauregard and Bunsen.
Richard had Scooter, Statler, Janice, and Beaker.
Jim had Kermit, Dr.Teeth, Waldorf, Chef, and Rowlf. Giving him Link seemed to be overkill. Link's part could have been filled by say, Lew or Sam.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Link, I feel isn't just an underused character, but an underrated one as well. If you look at ANY of the movies, he barely made a presence. He was there, but for one shot here or there in some cases.

He was in TMM at the end talking with other pigs (presumably why he didn't really appear in the film).... and I know he banged a gong in MTI... he basically stood outside the bathroom in MFS... that was his big to do outside the show.

Link was unfortunately a sketch character. And while he was used outside of Pigs in Space and Bear on Patrol, he wasn't used much outside the show.

After Henson passed, his only speaking roles were in video games. Comics don't count, though he is regularly featured in BOTH Muppet Classics and Muppet Show Comic Book.

There was ONE 1980's appearance I'm not surprised wasn't mentioned. He was also featured in the obscure video game VHS hybrid game "You're the Director" as part of the "Singing in the Meteor Shower" segment. Frank had no characters in this, by the way... so the Swinetrek Crew consisted mainly of Strangepork, Link, Rowlf and Scooter.

Dearth

Reaction score
There was ONE 1980's appearance I'm not surprised wasn't mentioned. He was also featured in the obscure video game VHS hybrid game "You're the Director" as part of the "Singing in the Meteor Shower" segment. Frank had no characters in this, by the way... so the Swinetrek Crew consisted mainly of Strangepork, Link, Rowlf and Scooter.
I have NEVER heard of this one. I wonder if anyone has made the footage available online or burned it to a disc?

I'd love to see it.

Dearth

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Link was used in the Jim Henson hour souly for the purpose of a dumb character. Fran and who ever played Lindenburgh where somewhat getting used to the more adult situation.
I don't quite understand what you mean by that "adult situations" line. And the performer who played Lindbergh was named Gordon Robertson. And I thought Lindbergh was the dumb character.

LamangoNumber2 said:
As for the whole MFC, Link, along with some other Muppets who weren't in Fozzie's truck, (Pops, Crazy Harry, Bobby Benson, Lewis Kazager, Nigel, Droop, Foo-Foo, Newsman, exct), I think they arrived via the Courtesy Car and driven by Pops.
I don't remember seeing Droop in the special. Where was he? But there is one character you left out: A Muppaphone, who was seen witting with Marvin Suggs during the carol sing.

Dearth

Reaction score
It's uploaded on Youtube somewhere, unless it was taken down. :search:
Thanks, I found it... too bad we only get to hear the audio choices the uploader made. Would love to be able to 'play' it myself or at least hear each version once through.

Still, some very cool possibilities in there for custom figures... especially Lew Zealand as Black Bart.

Dearth

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
too bad we only get to hear the audio choices the uploader made. Would love to be able to 'play' it myself or at least hear each version once through.
Yeah, it would be pretty fun if somebody uploaded all the choices and set it up in the same format as the Youtube game show series "Truth or Fail"