The "Surprise" Song

bigbird

Reaction score
OK folks here's another one for you ol' SS buffs like me. Remember the "Surprise" song that was sung by a bunch of I think 50's style muppets? The lyrics went something like..."ooh-aah-do, ooh-aah-do...be du ooh-aah do surprise...oh something suddenly happens when you can't believe your eyes...it's a surpri..i i ise!" Then the Bass singer comes forward and says "Do you know what a surprise is now, we're gonna show you one more time" Then it switches to a scene on SS with one skit involving Susan and Oscar. It seemed that Oscar gave Susan a present which turned out to be a snake can and she was "surprised" when the snake popped out! Then it goes back to the singing muppets again repeating the same lyrics as before and then a few more illustrations of surprise. What were the other illustrations? Anyone remember? what episode was this found on? Anyone have a copy?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If this is the surprise song I remember, it featured much of the cast demonstrating "surprise" with a lot of slapstick humor.

Some highlights:

Bob: Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water...
Cast: SURPRIIIIIIISE!!! as Bob gets a bucket of water dumped on him.

Gordon's in a supermarket: You're in the supermarket
And suddenly you start
The groceries start moving
There's a monster in your cart!
Monster: SURPRIIIIISE!!! and starts rolling Gordon's cart away

Bob: Mary had a little lamb, his fleece was white as snow...
Cast: SURPRIIIIISE!!!! as Bob gets buried under an avalanche of snow.

Big Bird: Today it is your birthday
You're feeling kind of rotten
Noone seems to be around
And everyone's forgotten
(Big Bird goes into Hooper's store and sees a birthday cake)
and everyone yells "SURPRISE!!!!!!!"
A few verses, Mr. Hooper holds up a tiny sweater to Big Bird
Hooper: I hope this is your size!

Then everyone in the cast yells "SURPRISE" and gets hit with a pie.
When it's Maria's turn, she gets hit with a pie, then takes off a mask.
Maria: "DISGUISE!" then gets another pie in the face.

The song ends with the whole cast singing "Everyone loves a SURPRISE!!"
and with the help of some video wizardry, a pie comes flying right at us, the unsuspecting viewers . SPLAT!!!!

bigbird

Reaction score
I think you have that one confused with the one I had mentioned about...but yours does sound somewhat familiar, but I don't think it was the same one.

bigbird

Reaction score
Actually, I think the skit I'm talking about was even before Maria was in the show at all. So it can't be it. Sorry, but nice try anyway!

SesameMike

Reaction score
I remember that song/skit! There was one break point in the song where Bert was sitting calmly and reading in the apartment, when Herry monster sneaks up behind him and suddenly shouted "reh-heh-heh-heheheheh". Bert, not the slightest bit scared, says in a calm but ticked voice, "Would you please stop that? I'm trying to read my book."

Another breakpoint had someone reponding negatively, possibly with an unpleasant cry and/or scream. They cut back to the band and sang "A surprise can be really scary, a surprise can make you ---" (the blank was either cry/sad/mad, can't remember which)

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
Don't wanna bump the thread, but I found the one with the Little Jerry-esque hippies from 1970, but it's not full, though. I added a couple of English audio pieces during the first verse and at the end of the song. Everything else is foreign-dubbed, I used some sources (with the N3 bug) from the 2-hour special "Lange Sesamstraßen Nacht" to splice in some higher-quality video sources, and used the (low-quality) Hebrew sources as well.
I found the other song by Big Bird, Grover, Bob, and the cast from 1975 as well.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Um, if you didn't want to bump this thread.... why did you do it in the first place? :rolleyes:

Better term would be, "Sorry to bump this thread."