The subject of trilogies

grail

Reaction score
oooooo...i'll play! usually when i start talking movies, i make everyone scratch their heads in confusion and fear. probably because two of the crown jewels of my collection are "Santa Claus Conquors the Martians" and "Curse of the Queerwolf".

as far as trilogies go:

Muppet movies - i feel there IS no worst Muppet movie, though i certainly know which one i enjoy the most (GMC)

Star Wars - no surprise here,
best: Empire Strikes Back
worst: AOTC

Back to the Future - will be on DVD by christmas!
best: first
worst: third

Indiana Jones - tough call, i really liked all three

Ninja Turtles - though i really DO like 2 a lot
best: first
worst: third

Batman - i refuse comment

Evil Dead - this would be like choosing which of your children you love the least. i actually have a copy of the original video release of Evil Dead, that's how much i love these movies. Bruce Campbell is one of my personal gods

Godfather - i cannot comment on these on the grounds that it would mean admitting that i have never been able to sit through all of any of them...i just never got into them, though i DID try

the rest, i really don't think anyone wants my drawn out opinion on...so i'll move on.

Toys - BRILLIANT movie, highly underrated. but Cory, dude, 1989 was not an "era" it just happened to be when TMNT and Batman came out. while they're excellent movies, and while there were several other good movies that came out around the same time, it would be like saying '01-'03 is going to be an "era unto itself" because it brought us stuff like Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Daredevil, X2, Hulk, Punisher, LOEG, Hellboy, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Episode II...among others. just because they're servicing the fanboy dreams, doesn't mean that it becomes the most important point in history. i mean c'mon...we were 11! i had only just found Monty Python a year before...

and since others are sharing, here is my top 10 faves...i could not bring myself to narrow down to 5

1. The Princess Bride (yes, it outranks even Monty Python...but don't tell, i have an image to uphold)

2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (i can quote about 3/4 of the thing from memory)

3. The City of Lost Children (if you evr get a chance to watch this movie, DO IT!!!)

4. Evil Dead 2 (Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell are my personal gods)

5. Fritz Lang's Metropolis (The mother of all sci-fi films. they're working on a new restoration with more of the lost footage edited back in)

6. 12 Angry Men (This is one of the most well written and well acted movies i have ever seen)

7. Johnny Dangerously (this movie is like the "Apple Jacks" of my list. people ask me why i love it so much, and all i can answer is "i just do")

8. Enemy Mine (most of the movie is just Gossett and Quaid. it's facinating to watch)

9. Buckaroo Banzai (with the exception of Rocky Horror, or the Evil Dead stuff, there is no cult following bigger than Buckaroo...and there's a reason for that. this movie is so bizarre and so much FUN to watch, you just can't look away)

10. Young Frankenstein (Probably Mel Brook's greatest movie)

honorable mention to: Lord of the Rings and Ghost World

there, i think that brings me up to date with the thread...

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
I know the Lord of the Rings hasn't all been put out yet but it is going to be a trilogy and all three are going to be FANTASTIC - especially since they are being filmed in NZ!!!!

And just to brag a little bit.... we live on one side of a valley and a lot of the LOTR movies were filmed in the valley opposite us so we got to watch it being filmed etc :big_grin:

GWGumby

Reaction score
I was never able to get into the 2nd TMNT movie due to Vanilla Ice and the dumbing down of the violence and all the half-beat poses at the camera whenever anyone cracks a joke so the audience has a cue of when to laugh. Urgh.

Army Of Darkness is my personal Evil Dead favorite. Partly because it was years later before I ever saw the first two and partly because I enjoy the adventure element more than the horror.

Which is why one of my all-time favorite movies is Aliens. One of the few sequels that out-does the original. I like that it was an action movie over a horror movie. Though I do believe the original Alien is a classic in its own right. I try to believe the rest of the films don't exist.

I'm torn between Karate Kid and Karate Kid 2. The girl was much cuter in the sequel. Again, I pretend none of the sequels exist.

I'm a much bigger fan of GMC over TMM or MTM for one reason: John Cleese. Well, that and the fact that to me it's a bit more wacky than the first movie.

I too enjoy Toys and am confused at how critically panned it was and still is. The soundtrack is pretty great as well.

Personal top movies in no particular order, since I hate ranking these things:
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
-Aliens
-Princess Bride
-Matrix
-Indiana Jones Trilogy
-UHF
-Better Off Dead
-Spinal Tap/Waiting For Guffman/Best In Show
-Jackie Chan's Police Story I & First Strike
-Nightmare Before Christmas
-PeeWee's Big Adventure
-Clue

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (i can quote about 3/4 of the thing from memory)
Yes! Monty Python rocks! Long live Spam and dead parrots! I think I can quote about 1/4 of that movie (the Dead Parrot sketch I can quote nearly word for word). Hey, between us we can quote the whole movie!

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
Yes! Monty Python rocks! Long live Spam and dead parrots! I think I can quote about 1/4 of that movie (the Dead Parrot sketch I can quote nearly word for word). Hey, between us we can quote the whole movie!
I'll fill in any missing bits.

"Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!"

towels

Reaction score
I fart in your general direction

only 3/4? Only 1/4? You all suck! Any true fan can quote the whole thing!
:smile:
The DVD version of the Holy Grail is fantastic. The additional features are amazing. Scenes dubbed into Japanese and then subtitled back into English! Scenes in Lego! Subtitles for those who don't like the movie, written by William Shakespeare!
I thought Ghostbusters had made the best use of the DVD format, but the Grail surpassed it!

Ummmm...my favorites...hmmm...here's 10 in no particular order.
Princess Bride, Holy Grail, Casablanca, Muppet Movie, The Wall, Robin Hood POT, Toys, UHF, When Harry Met Sally, Training Film #36.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Would Training Film #37 be How Not To Be Seen? I remember the number being longer. :smile:

-Chris

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by gymkatarules
Would Training Film #37 be How Not To Be Seen? I remember the number being longer. :smile:

-Chris
Heh. No...perhaps you are thinking of Safety Film #37- How Not to Die...
I wonder if I can find the site that had some online footage...

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Toys - BRILLIANT movie, highly underrated. but Cory, dude, 1989 was not an "era" it just happened to be when TMNT and Batman came out. while they're excellent movies, and while there were several other good movies that came out around the same time<<<<

good to see people have actually seen Toys on here...like the Muppets, this is the pure embodiment of joy and innocence. Toys is without a doubt one of the most unique, visuallystunning, and visionarily whimsical films I have ever seen.

Now then, the late 80's were indeed an era kiddo! The late 80's....from video gaming to everything else, is by far the best time. Heck, look at the Muppets...87-98 had to be their edgiest best years in recent memory. 1989 historically was one of the most monumental shifting years ever, and as far as films, comics, video games, everything...is my fave year and era ever.

, it would be like saying '01-'03 is going to be an "era unto itself" because it brought us stuff like Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Daredevil, X2, Hulk, Punisher, LOEG, Hellboy, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Episode II...among others.<<<

ugh, 2001 is onto itself my friend. (Remember, 2001 has to be one of the worst years in recent memory for a variety of reasons)

just because they're servicing the fanboy dreams, doesn't mean that it becomes the most important point in history. <<<

No, but personally to me...I could write a book and film and perhaps a song about why 1989 is my favorite year ever.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
No, but personally to me...I could write a book and film and perhaps a song about why 1989 is my favorite year ever.
I would agree that 1989 (bleeding into early 90) was an amazing year in movies, music, and other things. It really does exist as an era unto itself.