The Steven Universe thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see what you mean. It's one of those kinda confusing "not a real gender, but takes the form of one" times. Like the Transformers. How the heck do you explain Arcee?!?!

What really surprised me was this last episode. It follows the show's grand tradition of mundane happenings with a huge Wham reveal at the end. One of my theories proves correct. The Gems really are lost without Rose and they really want to build Steven up as one to fill in that void. In the end it wasn't so much Steven that needed a confidence boost as the rest of the team. Kinda heartwrenching how miserable the gems were near the end. There's something up, and something tells me failure has a part to play in there.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Strange. Both Steven and Gumball had plots focused on self-fulfilling prophecies. I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably. Apparently, the last 3 episodes of Gumball were all shuffled around. To the point where they ran a promo for the following week that had the clip of that same week's show for a few days before correcting it.

Anyone else notice that Garnet's getting some much needed character development lately?

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're really ramping up the storyline here. Pearl nondescriptly revealed what the events of Warp Tour meant, and Amethyst has a depressing and disturbing breakdown because she always felt like an accident. That puts her clowning behavior and uncivilized attitude into a darker light.

Also, while the reveal back in Fusion Cuisine that Pearl didn't like to eat felt random, rewatching Together Breakfast last night where she was being attacked by the mutated breakfast, she does squirm and groan in horror when the whipped cream arm captures her. Plus, she really didn't seem to mind in that other episode when they were banned from Fish Stew Pizza.

In fact, Amethyst was the only one who actually wanted to eat Steven's popcorn waffles and reacted in anyway to the pizza shop ban. Seems to me if Garnet were the kind to eat, it would only be to be polite to Steven.

mr3urious

Reaction score
They're really ramping up the storyline here. Pearl nondescriptly revealed what the events of Warp Tour meant, and Amethyst has a depressing and disturbing breakdown because she always felt like an accident. That puts her clowning behavior and uncivilized attitude into a darker light.
That episode had a lot of drama to it, and pretty much confirms that not all the Gems are benevolent. It was also nice to see Amethyst sing a duet with Steven. :smile:

Also a bit of fridge brilliance in that Amethyst implied she was man-made. Amethyst (the gemstone) can be formed naturally or synthetically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethyst

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I wonder a lot about the locations in this show.

We know the gems are from Space, except for Amethyst who was made on Earth. We know the launch pads are damaged and can't go to space, the only safe ones are the ones on earth.

Yet every place they go to is usually not something of earth. Which begs the question, where exactly are these places? Are they remote? Have humans not discovered them? If so, how do you miss a giant dome with duct tape on it?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yet every place they go to is usually not something of earth. Which begs the question, where exactly are these places? Are they remote? Have humans not discovered them? If so, how do you miss a giant dome with duct tape on it?
Something tells me that's one of the big mysteries that will be revealed in time. It is coincidental that every place they've been has been out of the way. Considering what Pearl hinted at at the other gems wanting to do something to the Earth, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't a co-incidence.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Last night was notably the first episode without the Crystal Gems, and it was nice to see just Steven and his friends hanging out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nice to see there's a character arc between Ronaldo and Lars. I love how disgusted Ronaldo was when Steve said he was his friend and invited him.

Watching the rebroadcast of last week's directly after it, I have to say, I wish they'd have more opportunities for the Crystal Gems to sing. It's no coincidence they picked voice actresses for them that have great singing voices, at least 2 coming from a musical background. Content wise, there was plenty of rewatch bonus here. There's more context and foreshadowing in Amethyst's part of the song.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know where to put this, but

Steven Universe, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, as well as staples like Gumball, Adventure Time, Teen Titans Go (of course), and Regular Show have been renewed up until 2016.

But the biggest news of all, an Uncle Grandpa/Steven Universe crossover. Now, how the heck's that going to work, as both shows are completely different in tones, is going to be the question. I'd say more of a Clarence/Uncle grandpa crossover would work. But that's clearly the point. The two shows that don't go together.