The Steven Universe thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
To prove how much rewatch value this show has, "Keep Beach City Weird" was just on again and Ronaldo shouted out his conspiracy of a group of "polymorphic sentient rocks" that plan on "hollowing out the Earth" as part of the Diamond Authority...

Then came the reveal about the "Kindergarten" with the huge drills and stories about how the Gems were protecting the Earth from the other Gems.

Yeah. That was totally just a throwaway line.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
To prove how much rewatch value this show has, "Keep Beach City Weird" was just on again and Ronaldo shouted out his conspiracy of a group of "polymorphic sentient rocks" that plan on "hollowing out the Earth" as part of the Diamond Authority...

Then came the reveal about the "Kindergarten" with the huge drills and stories about how the Gems were protecting the Earth from the other Gems.

Yeah. That was totally just a throwaway line.
What I love most about this show is that I started watching it expecting it to be a cute, funny little cartoon that had a quirk sense of humour with a cool fantasy edge. But it completely threw me off course with its' sudden dark twists, the multiple conspiracies and the gradual storytelling and genius world building slowly becoming more detailed and complex.

Oh, and also little things the writers put in like the one you just listed. Heck, I remember when people started saying that Garnet was a fusion of Ruby and Sapphire months before Jailbreak based of blink-and-you'll-miss-it details in the writing and animation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Amethyst certainly still has unresolved issues since the Kindergarten episode. She's very abrasive when confronting them. She can do depressed, but seems she rises quicker to anger to deal with the fact she isn't even comfortable with herself. It's almost heartbreaking how she still doesn't feel like part of the group and she takes any criticism of her behavior as outright rejection by the others.

Plus, her recklessness and anger... well, we all know where Sugolite comes from now.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Among other things, I knew that Steven pulling the sword out of Lion was a reference to Utena. That just confirms they actually watched it, not that there was any doubt.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't comment on it before, but now that I've watched the episode on repeats I disagree with Renaldo calling the snake people amphibinoids. The proper classification for that species of animal-human being would be reptiloids, amphibinoids would be more akin to the Encurseans from Ben-Ten.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Ronaldo is a conspiracy theorist. In other words, he gets the fact wrong and thinks they're true. Almost seems like that's intentional.

Now if there's one surprising fact that wasn't mentioned in that list, it's Lars was voiced by the last guy I ever suspected. The guy who plays Hahn (is that how it's spelled?) on Two Broke Girls.

Mind blown.

Knew Roberta Tubb's voice actor did both Pizza sisters, had a feeling their father was Mr. Stubborn, and Mr. Smiley is so incredibly Sinbad it's hard to think that it wasn't him. But Hahn from Two Broke Girls plays Lars, apparently. I was wondering what teenage sitcom star was his voice actor (seems to be a trend... Jeff from Clarence is Adam Goldberg, Brick from The Middle is Petey in this show... etc) and it's an adult with a kid's voice who usually plays incredibly stereotypical Asian characters. WOW!

C to the J

Reaction score
Has anyone checked out the new title sequence? I think it's great! Now that the three Crystal Gems have new looks, it seemed like an appropriate time to update it. It even includes more recurring characters in the scene where Greg's van makes a left turn. And let's not forget Lion, who appears before the names are spoken.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Has anyone checked out the new title sequence? I think it's great! Now that the three Crystal Gems have new looks, it seemed like an appropriate time to update it. It even includes more recurring characters in the scene where Greg's van makes a left turn. And let's not forget Lion, who appears before the names are spoken.
It also shows that Greg, Connie, and Lion have been given expanded roles.

Harleena

Reaction score
I love this show! My favorite characters are Garnet, Amethyst, Rose, Lapis, and Jasper. I need to catch up on Steven Bomb, though… :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those first two episodes this week were nice and all, but those last 3 were constant drama bomb drops.

Watching the Sword Fighting episode, I was hoping to see something about Pearl being jealous of Greg's love for Rose and I was rewarded with "We have to talk." Pearl's passive aggressiveness in the whole backstory was just delightful. Fusing to one up him? Calling him a novelty? Great stuff. Glad to see it happen.

Garnet being shaken to the core and being on the verge of breaking up at the sight of the forced fusions between pieces of dead gems? Oh yeah. Any episode where the most cool and collected gem loses it is great in my book. Love how Garnet basically said she's better as a fusion and that's why Ruby and Sapphire never appear much. Loved the whole concept of fusion as love. Seems she's the strongest believer in that, and why she's so passionate about fusion.

Then there was the dream episode that revealed Lapis struggling with Jasper. And now it's on break... nice way to end that part, but it leaves me wanting more.

On that note, this week's premier episodes are Regular Show. As happy as I am for that, where the heck is freaking Gumball!?!/ That episode where he wishes his parents away has been on my mind since it was announced. The entire world got it months before we did.