The State of Us & Our Things

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The State of Us (& Our Things)

This thread is not particularly about politics, the United States or the world. It’s about us as people, how these things impact our lives and what we can do to make things better.
This is a place to post problems and solutions, but particularly searching for solutions. Not everything has an immediate solution, or one that's apparent to us, so asking others for council is also part of the intent here. If you’d like a place to simply vent or yell at other forum members without care or want of things getting better, please find another location. This is intended to be a civil, a positive and a productive thread. I encourage the moderators to pop in to right the ship if I or we or anything starts to go off course into a poisonous place. There are other areas for that.

I also encourage you to introduce yourself. If you’re under 18, please don’t use your name or provide any information that would make you vulnerable. MC’s supposed to be a safe place, but it’s still the internet and one should be careful. As for the rest of you, a first name would be nice, but just talking about the basics of who you are, where you come from, what issues you’ve faced and how you’re dealing with things now, personally or on a global scale, is what I’m getting at here. Share what you're comfortable with, but only what you're comfortable with, in order explain where your point of view comes from.

This world has a way of dividing people and we’re all susceptible to that toxic reach. None of us is perfect, but we don’t have to go blindly by and allow that to change us as people. We can try to connect and understand one another. We don’t have to change each other’s minds, opinions or politics, but it is important that we understand one another. Otherwise, we're just shouting out opinions in the void and shouting down anyone who disagrees with us. That's rather useless as it does't evolve the discussion.

It’s perfectly fine to tackle an idea, but let’s not tackle each other on a personal level. That's not the purpose for explaining where your point of view comes from. The purpose of that is to humanize your points of view. Let’s also try to avoid lumping groups together under one way of thinking. That last part is difficult. Instead of talking smack, let’s talk ideas. Everything from the serious to the silly. That’s what this particular space is for. Every so often. No matter who you are or what issues you’ve had with others in the past - let’s make this a poison free zone. Let’s make this a genuine opportunity to try to build what our society right now can't – understanding, civility and mutual respect.

If this sounds like a place for you – let’s swim.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'll go:

• My name is Jamie (or James)
  • I'm from Houston, Texas, but have lived in San Francisco for most of my adult life. That's a long time. I've also lived in Manhattan and Washington DC.
  • I'm a gay fella who comes from a family of religious conservatives that I love very much, but we have wildly different views on things. It has taught both compassion to different points of view, precisely what mine is, why it is and how to back it up. A little passion certainly comes with that, and passion is crucial, but I'll try to keep that in check.
  • I'm a working, independent artist who also has to a lot of other side gigs in order to make ends meet. If there's any "lifestyle" I have, it's that, so I stick up for working people, the working class and our best interests. That means emotionally, substantively and politically.
  • I'm the guy who, once upon a time, rebranded Muppet Central and created much of the graphics here. I was also staff, before taking on legit things in the universe of licensed products. That includes Muppets and other brands, toys, figures and posters. I'm a lucky guy, but it's a tough hustle that requires many hours, patience and being able to juggle many things. You know, like just about everybody these days.
  • I make an attempt to like everybody because I want to like everybody. There's a unique willingness I have for that. I recognize everybody is not that way, but as for me, it's as genuine as the smile I have on my face much of the time. I've also found it extremely helpful in my daily life. To illustrate that, some years ago I was walking down the street and most people flashed a smile at me. I didn't know why. It was frustrating. I thought something was wrong and they were signalling me in some way so I looked at my reflection in a store window and noted that I was smiling too. I had apparently smiled at them first. Friendliness is my default. I had just reached a stretch of the city where people were open enough to be friendly right back. Ha!

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Here's pretty much everything you need to know about me.
  • My name is Kylie (not saying my last name)
  • I'm from Michigan (not saying my town)
  • I'm currently 16 and my birthday is October 6th
  • I have Asperger's Syndrome, which means I tend to be shy and awkward in public, I can be moody a lot, and there are certain things that I'm obsessed with (like Sonic, Steven Universe, and Homestar Runner)
  • Unlike many teenage girls, I'm not into things like makeup, fashion, and celebrity gossip - I'm into things like video games, animation, puppetry, robotics, birds, and clocks
  • Also unlike many teenage girls, I don't usually listen to stuff like Taylor Swift, One Direction, and all the other pop artists/bands out there - I listen to Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Daft Punk, video game music, etc.
  • I absolutely love to draw, and I would like to make my own animations some day
  • H*R is pretty much my favorite thing ever right now (can't you tell by my avatar?), so don't be surprised if you see me quote/reference it a lot
  • I am allergic to morons.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Don't know how to do those little black dots but whatever.

I'm Alex and that's all you need to know in regards to my real name.

Straight and proud of it.

Currently a video intern for a mobile barbershop in Boston.

I'm also learning-disabled (sometimes can be a little dyslexic and at times, a slow learner. Depending on how words are thrown at me).

I have a very sarcastic/mischievous sense of humor.... Though that doesn't mean I don't know when to be serious of course.

Huge gamer, listen to alot of metal, classic rock, pop, etc...

Muppet fan for life.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Don't know how to do those little black dots but whatever.

I'm Alex and that's all you need to know in regards to my real name.

Straight and proud of it.

Currently a video intern for a mobile barbershop in Boston.

I'm also learning-disabled (sometimes can be a little dyslexic and at times, a slow learner. Depending on how words are thrown at me).

I have a very sarcastic/mischievous sense of humor.... Though that doesn't mean I don't know when to be serious of course.

Huge gamer, listen to alot of metal, classic rock, pop, etc...

Muppet fan for life.
This is how you do it.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Here's me in a nutshell.

• My name is Mikaela (not saying my last name)
  • I live in New Hampshire (not saying the town)
  • I'm 18 and my birthday is in 4 months
  • I have autism, ADD, anxiety, and OCD
  • I love old Disney movies and the ones from the late 80s until the late 2000s are the best
  • I prefer to just be myself and not have friends (though I did have plenty of them in my childhood)
  • Am currently unemployed at the moment, but am really hoping to get a library job because I love books so much
  • I love New England sports (don't like college sports though), and have Pat Patriot and Wally The Green Monster as my avatar
Muppet fan forever​