The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I still have a handful of tapes I recorded in the 80's, with Sesame bits, miscellaneous toons, commercials, wrestling matches, music videos, etc. Poorly edited, muffled sound, tape chewed up by VCR heads, but I still treasure them. Kind of a Frankenstein mashup of my teen years. No market value, but still priceless.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We know Mr. Potato Head is cannibalistically endorsing Lay's potato chips right now, however I recall a time where he was endorsing Burger King's fries:

This must be a different version, because I distinctly remember the kid saying, "He's spread the word that Burger King's fries are crispier and yummier than McDonald's fries."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sorry to double post so soon, but I just now saw this and it had me both laughing and crying on the inside:

The way those kids are reacting to that desktop and Windows 95 being prehistoric actually makes me feel prehistoric, because this is what we had when I was a kid, this is what our home computers looked like back then . . . I was laughing at the way those kids were trying to turn it on by pressing the power button on the monitor. That one girl that said she always heard of Windows 95 as a joke? Dang. I remember 95 all too well . . . and yes, it always did take a while for it to boot up, lol.

98 was great at the time: so much personality and the themes that came with it were so awesome, like that underwater theme? I still can hear some of those tones in the back of my mind, like the barking seal error tone, or the diving startup sound, or that dolphin squeal; I found the old wallpaper not too long ago on Google! XP was pretty good at the time too, though once I finally upgraded to 7, I couldn't go back . . . but now I can't go forward either, because 8 is a headache to work with, and I've yet to hear anything positive about 10.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just the fact that I can actually remember when McDonald's had other company slogans, other than "I'm lovin' it," which they've been using for a hundred years now.

I mean really, just a few I can remember off the top of my head:
- "Good time, great taste"
- "Always good food, always good value"
- "Do you believe in magic?"
- "Did somebody say [McDonald's]?"
- "We love to see you smile"

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Just the fact that I can actually remember when McDonald's had other company slogans, other than "I'm lovin' it," which they've been using for a hundred years now.

you forgot one, have you had your break today

you forgot one , have you had your break today ? :smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The original jingle, "You deserve a break today" was written and sung by Barry Manilow. And I remember when that was brand new.

"Do You Believe In Magic" was originally a hit for the Lovin' Spoonful in 1966. When I was little it was a golden oldie.

In less than two years I'll be hitting the big 50. I have classmates that are grandparents already. By all means I SHOULD be feeling old. But I still don't.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just miss the heck out of the McDonalds mascots that weren't obvious ripoffs of the Minions (but at least they fess up to it when they had Minions and Raving Rabbids Happy meal commercials, but that's another thread all together). I grew up in the 80's and early 90's when the things stopped looking like low rent New Zoo Revue type costumes and started looking like Disney walkarounds. And Frank Welker was Grimace because he wasn't expensive as heck (but well worth it) back then. Sure, there were odd mascot characters I only really knew from storybook Happy Meal promotions and that one advertisement for McDonaldland Kid's clothing, which I'm disappointed I can't find on Youtube. I had the streamlined lineup of Birdie, Grimace, the McNugget Buddies, the fuzzy haystack things that represented french fries for some reason, and of course Hamburgalar. Not that I didn't know of the others, they just weren't used much. Maybe the odd professor guy who was of the Newton Gimmick school of science.

What I am, not nostalgic for is the first Happy Meal toys. The little tiny model kits that you'd have to build, or rather beg your parents to do. I say that as a grown man happily playing with the Angry Birds Movie promotional toys. The ones you stack up and launch the birds at like in their app game? I hate to admit something I usually collect to dump into large plastic containers to say I have them actually have been entertaining. Then again it's the second closest I've been to playing the game aside from the homebrewed SEGA version that doesn't work, but I give it all the credit in the world.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When you start overthinking/analyzing movies from your childhood. For example, just what kind of off-screen shenanigans did Kevin get into in HOME ALONE 2 that he was able to manipulate the Plaza Hotel staff into giving him V.I.P. treatment? The limo ride with his own cheese pizza? The entire staff (including the doorman) greeting him as "Mr. McCallister"? I'm curious about all that.