The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

Slackbot

Reaction score
Over the weekend I posted these two comic pages, and hardly anybody could name the songs the kids are singing and dancing to in the middle panels. Aw, c'mon, don't they play those stupid songs at kiddie parties any more?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looks like "London Bridge is Falling Down" to me.

And no, kids don't do stuff like that anymore at parties; they usually brings CDs for music, or just watch TV/movies and stuff themselves on junk food. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Funny thing about the original reason I created this thread. Trying something new, I picked up a box of Cap'n Crunch's Donut Crunch. On the back, it had the requisite kiddy Donut Facts on the back of the box. And sure enough, no kidding, one of them said "Donut was originally spelled ... doughnut." with the "..." and everything.

Wow.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And sure enough, no kidding, one of them said "Donut was originally spelled ... doughnut." with the "..." and everything.
Um . . . it is spelled "doughnut," "donut," is just another example of how lazy Americans have become that they don't want to have to actually spell a word's full spelling.

mr3urious

Reaction score

And no, kids don't do stuff like that anymore at parties; they usually brings CDs for music, or just watch TV/movies and stuff themselves on junk food. :stick_out_tongue:
Remember when the original London Bridge was located in London? Apparently after it went falling down, it was sold and relocated to Lake Havasu City in Arizona, of all places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)

Slackbot

Reaction score

Yep, the first is London Bridge is Falling Down. The second is The Hokey-Pokey. When I was a kid you couldn't have a roller rink birthday party without that song and a roller limbo contest.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You just made me misty-eyed. Back when Disco roller skating was a big deal, the first Muppet Movie came out. The DJ played "Rainbow Connection" and he had a Kermit puppet lip-synching. And there were birthday parties every weekend, with the Hokey Pokey, and "Time Warp" from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. All for two dollar admission, and a dollar to rent the skates.:smile:

snichols1973

Reaction score
Valuable Lessons are what killed Saturday Mornings. Now we have nothing but lessons.
It looks like the network execs used a similar idea when rebranding the former Hub network as Discovery Family; even today, the G1 Transformers and G.I. Joe (1984-1987) eras can only be seen during D-Fam's "graveyard shift" timeslot (4-6 a.m. Central).

G1 Transformers and G.I. Joe would probably do better if they were transferred to another network instead of a graveyard timeslot when almost nobody is awake to watch them...:rolleyes:

Thomas Young

Reaction score
I have plenty of saddest things which make me feel old.
- The Sonic character turned 23 years old last year.
- The NIntendo DS came out more than 10 years ago.
- If Bart Simpson was a real person who aged, he would be 36 years old today.
- Kids in high school today were born before 2000.
- And last but not the least (before I start sobbing my heart out): The first 'Friends' episode aired more than 20 years ago.

Need I say more?! Aaarggghhh!

Drtooth

Reaction score
It looks like the network execs used a similar idea when rebranding the former Hub network as Discovery Family; even today, the G1 Transformers and G.I. Joe (1984-1987) eras can only be seen during D-Fam's "graveyard shift" timeslot (4-6 a.m. Central).
I'm far more annoyed that the new Transformers cartoon that got that awful timeslot on CN (so we can have yet another daily Teen Titans Go Marathon) than two reruns on another, harder to get channel. My beef lies with the whole DCF rebrand. It doesn't make the tiniest of sense. How are the same crappy reality shows and dull educational fair any better than paying a flat fee for old ALF and Happy Days reruns? They still shows movies at the Discovery hour, so... what was the point of this again?

The Hasbro cartoons were the draw. Maybe if they pushed the channel to not be the second or third cable package, they would have got better viewership. The former Hub programming of MLP:FIM still actually gets viewership. Probably Rescue Bots (which gave longtime Transformers VA Michael Bell his first TF role in decades recently).

As for that, I'm happy with the success of new MLP and TF cartoons, but it really stinks G.I. Joe got the raw deal of Renegades getting "cancelatus" and the movies barely keeping the franchise afloat. And with no new programming on the Hub, there's no where to put a new G.I. Joe series.