The Return of Annie Sue (Part I)

Bridget

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was working on a fanfic recently and I wasn't sure at first if I should post it or not. But I decided that I'll never know if I should go forward with it, if I don't get input and advice from my Muppet friends. The story is based off of Annie Sue, (Piggy's female rivalry), who appears in older Muppet show episodes. I thought it would interesting to see what I could do with the character and a plot. So let me know if it's something you like!

~Bridget~

The Return of Annie Sue
(Part I)
Chapter 1: “Let’s Talk About Marriage”

Picture a glittery, peridot field surrounded by a rainbow of tall rose beds, colors varying from shocking red to snowflake white. Imagine a nearby pond with ripples in its waters that glisten and glow, moving with the steady flow of the wind. Try to see a glamorous, sunset background complimenting summer’s wondrous atmosphere. Imagine a love-struck, female pig spread out across a pink picnic basket, patiently waiting for her love.
Tonight was to be a special night. A night where Kermit and Miss Piggy would discuss the serious yet wonderful aspects of marriage, under a sea of twinkling stars. It would be a night of confessions, romance, and most of all, feelings. The two would finally be given a true chance to express the hidden, yet strong love they own for one another, making Piggy extremely eager.
At the moment, the diva was wearing an eye-catching peach sundress, covered by a cream, elbow-length sweater. Her hair was styled into mermaid curls which draped down her skin revealing back. Her necklace of pearls shone perfectly in the day’s last light, and her matching satin gloves displayed an elegant, diamond ring. Piggy knew that Kermit had to be amazed by her stunning selection of clothing. But where on earth was the little green frog? It wasn’t much of a surprise to Piggy that her lover was approximately thirty minutes late, but rather why. Riverside Park was but a block away from Kermit’s housing development, therefore making it possible to reach it in only five minutes. Concerned but calm, she slowly reached a gloved hand into a mocha-colored picnic basket beside her. She pulled out a medium bunch of red grapes, (her favorite), and dropped them into her mouth one by one. They tasted sweet, and vine fresh.
‘Perhaps Kermie is just deciding on what to wear this evening’ Piggy said to herself, with a sigh. She pictured the slim frog in a navy blue blazer, with badge kakis and a scarf. ‘No. That isn’t Kermit. He probably got caught up in handling theatre business on the phone. I hope he hasn’t forgot about moi.’ After experiencing an extra thirty minute wait, (and devouring two whole bunches of grapes), a green figure appeared at the end of the park gate. He was wearing a slate trench coat, and nothing more. The street lights captured his exhausted face. Suddenly, Piggy’s heart woke to find her one dream standing before her very eyes. She spoke with her lavender eyelids halfway closed.
“K- Kermit?” she asked softly. Kermit planted himself on the picnic blanket that now appeared colorless. The sun’s glow was no longer visible; night had token over. Kermit let out an apologetic sigh. “Hey Piggy, I apologize for being a bit- late.”
‘A bit late,’ Piggy repeated in her mind. ‘An hour, is a bit?’
Kermit crossed his skinny legs over one another, and looked up at the sky. “I’ve been extremely busy paying theatre bills, filling needs, and preparing shows. Sometimes the easiest things are difficult for a frog with a- pig friend.”
Piggy blushed anxiously. The glory her soul felt when Kermit referred to her as his “pig friend” was enough to make her heart leap out of her chest. It made her feel warm and fuzzy inside. Honored, she pulled an oatmeal raisin cookie from the basket and offered him sweetly.
“Cookie?”
“No thanks,” he replied. Kermit continued to stare at the stars in a gaze. “You know Piggy; I sometimes wish we could have more time to, well, bond. I know we’ve known each other for years, but I feel like we’re just beginning to reveal ourselves.”
“Oh Kermie,” Piggy responded dreamily. She joined Kermit in staring at the sky by leaning he rather heavy head on Kermit’s torso. The frog didn’t mind. “It isn’t vous’ fault for all the madness and chaos. It is life. Sometimes it can be rather stressful, hmm?
“Yeah, but, we’re engaged. The problem is, I don’t know what to put first. Us, or the Muppets?”
What a complicated question it was. Which aspect should really come first in Kermit’s busy life? The Muppets were a group of diversity, which so happened to consist of chickens, bears, pigs, or whatevers, brought together by the faith of Kermit’s care. Piggy was a single, self-centered diva who required more attention than every Muppet combined. The gang needed a leader, script, and most importantly, place to call home. Piggy demanded constant communication with her lover, expensive clothing and jewelry, and sweet nothings whispered into her ear 24/7! Either road Kermit took, a barrier would stand in his way.
“Well, Kermit. Strangely enough, moi happens to be a, um- Muppet.” Classifying herself under that group hurt Piggy more than old fashion. She felt as if she was much more than that. “So, wouldn’t it be the same choosing the Muppets as your top priority?”
“No, not really,” Kermit responded quickly. He made sure to say it kindly, so that Piggy wouldn’t go into her argumentative mode. “Think about it. We’ll (hopefully), be married in less than a year, Piggy. Once you become my wife, everything will be different. Our relationship as “cast-mates” or whatever will fade away. We’ll be husband and wife each hour of the day.”
“No it wouldn’t! We’d be about show business as always, nothing would change really.” There was an awkward pause between the two. Kermit must’ve been thinking really hard. He finally worked up the guts to express how his deepest thoughts.
“But, sometimes, it’s just that-“Kermit was cut off. An annoying beep occurred sounded from his coat pocket. Piggy lazily brought herself back up to her original position, and sighed. Kermit held up a single, index finger. She folded her arms.
“Kermit The Frog,” Kermit said perfectly. A muttered voice came from the other side of the line. He could easily recognize that it was a female. “Annie, is that you? Wow! Long time, no see! How’s it going over there?”
‘He’d better be talking to the orphan,’ an angry Piggy thought. She began to scratch her flawless skin. Unfortunately, the bugs were beginning to have a party.
“Oh wow, that’s great!” Kermit continued joyfully. “Well, if there’s anything I, I mean we can do to help- what’s that? Oh yes, yes.” Kermit cut his eye at Piggy, and lowered his voice. She was giving him a “put the phone down” kind of stare. He immediately knew he couldn’t chat that much longer. “Alright, well listen. I’m kind of busy at the moment, but as soon as I can I’ll make some arrangements. I’m so proud of your accomplishment! Oh and by the way, if you need a place to stay when you come down, you know who to ask. That’s great. Alright, I’ll talk to you later. Beep!”
Kermit closed his flip-phone, and slid it back into its original place. He thought of a phrase he could use to distract his girlfriend from questioning his limited conversation. “Um, anyways. Do you know what flavor cake you want at our-“
“Save it frog,” Piggy warned him. “Who was that vous was just talking to?”
The frightened frog gulped, as a giant lump had appeared in his throat. Piggy always seemed to take heart to the most insignificant things. She had to know anything and everything that was involved in his life.
“Well see, it was just an old friend calling about the theatre. That’s all.”
“It doesn’t sound like that’s all. Spill it.” Piggy began to unwrap the same oatmeal cookie that Kermit had turned down earlier. She broke it in half, and put the crumbly piece in her mouth beautifully. Afterwards, she closed the basket. Anyone could tell that Kermit was hiding something, even a fool. For some reason, the person he was speaking to wasn’t of Piggy’s list of approval. There were certain folks he had her permission to call, and certain ones she put on “ignore”. Considering the fact that Kermit wasn’t the best with technology, he had no idea on how to take it off.
“Oh come on Piggy, can’t we talk about this later? We’re supposed to be enjoying each other’s company.”
“Pardon? It is vous who answered the phone in the first place! If you had just let it go to voicemail, none of this would have happened. Now, tell me before I leave you here alone in the dark.” Her face was beginning to look furious and red. Kermit warmed himself up to release the unwanted news. He muttered, turning towards the gate he had entered.
“It was Annie Sue,” he said in a deep voice. He hoped Piggy wouldn’t hear him, and ask once more. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. Her perked ears had perfect hearing, and she understood well. Suddenly she sat up from her resting point, and scolded.
“Who?!”
“ It was Annie Sue. You know, the pig from-’”
“I obviously know who you’re talking about, and you know that I have,” she paused and flipped her hair. “Certain feelings about her.”
Annie Sue was a young female pig, who Kermit had hired as a singer for the Muppet Show a while back. She was just about the same complexion as Piggy (perhaps a bit darker), and had deep blonde, curly fro. Though very upbeat and kind, she was always seen as a threat to Miss Piggy when she was around. For one thing, it was uncomfortable seeing for her to see someone the exact same species as herself, talented and beautiful, make appearances every now and then. Something in Piggy’s mind, didn’t allow her to accept others who was seen as the same or equal to herself. It also made her almost as green as Kermit, when she received affection and guidance from him. The diva had one half of ownership over her most prized possession, and she would not accept some “fake” to take that away from her. Kermit knew this as well.
“Well, she just called to say that she landed a spot on the Great White Way.”
Everything stopped as Miss Piggy stood up on her wedged sandals and posed for an intense argument. Even the ripples in the pond came to a halt for the moment of truth. Someone was about to get questioned.
“Excuse-moi? You mean to tell me the little brat made it to- Broadway? The place where the greats get to sing, dance and perform?”
“Oh wait, I think I worded it wrong,” Kermit corrected himself, scooting a bit to the right. “She’s sort of landed a spot. Her agent told her that she needs one last reference of experience in order to begin auditions for shows. But apparently, everything else is perfectly in order.” A growl emerged from Piggy’s mouth, which now held her snout.
“As many times as, Ms. Sue performed with us; she still doesn’t have enough experience? Is that the deal?”
“Well,” Kermit. “I-I mean I think that’s what she said.”
“Kermit, I refuse to see her dusty little face in our theatre again! Just think of all the trouble and havoc she caused last time! I know you don’t want to go through any of that now!” She thought carefully about her words as she caught her breath. Our theatre? Technically, wouldn’t the theatre belong to both her and the boss after their marriage? After all, half the money would be coming from her salary as well. As far as the havoc and trouble she mentioned, Piggy knew perfectly well that is was her who was taking things in a negative way. To a certain extent, Annie Sue looked up to Piggy as a true, honest role model of what an actress really looks like. But still, history had its memories that bothered her. Kermit’s face began to look glum.
“Listen, I already explained to her that it was fine if she wanted to observe our next show rehearsal, and then perform in it. We just haven’t discussed the scheduling and details yet. I- I mean we don’t have to-“
“If we don’t have to, then cancel!”
“But, Piggy-“
“CANCEL!”
The romantic night of love and relation was over. It had now turned into a dramatic hour of stress, all because of one little phone call. If only Kermit did allow it to go to voicemail, perhaps the night could’ve gone smoother. Of course he’d be so busy later on that he wouldn’t have the time to check it. Piggy scooped up her basket, yanked the blanket from the grass, and stormed off towards the gate. Her pink convertible was parked right in front. She pulled a ring of keys from her sweater pocket. Kermit didn’t dare to follow; there was too much on his mind already. He had upset his best friend on one of the most important dates of his life, and now had to make a “wise” decision. His heart was telling him to go forward with the planning, and just not tell Piggy anything about it. But his mind was whispering, “I wouldn’t do that if I were you…” He sat in the park cold, confused, and stumped until midnight, thinking about his next move.

lady piggy

Reaction score
Well i don't just like it , I love it !!!! You have something very interesting going on here. Not just how you wrote the story , by the way i find it very refreshing and lovely. But the plot its self . I cant wait to see what happens next:smile:

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
I've always loved Annie Sue. I've wanted somebody to give fan fic like this for a while. I know that they're rivals but I've always thought it a pity they couldn't get along get along. Very nicely done, looking forward to more!

Misskermie

Reaction score
Oh man, I've got a bad feeling about this...
*gets some popcorn*
This should be good.

More please!

Bridget

Reaction score
Thanks! More is coming soon, just attempting to perfect the next part!

Bridget

Reaction score
Okay, I apologize for the extended delay! I've been finishing up some important school work so that I can get out of the middle house, haha. Anyways here's Chapter 2 which includes a brief summary of Annie Sue's past. Hope you like it.

Chapter Two: I Won’t Be Gone For Long…

“Please don’t leave,” begged Colette, Annie Sue’s innocent and well-attached stepsister. Colette was desperately watching her beloved sibling pack piles of clothes and knick-knacks, for her upcoming trip to New York. They lived in Garner; a tiny town in North Carolina where nothing much really happened. A trip to such a famous and popular city was definitely costly, and definitely far. For a whole month, Annie’s stepfather Tosh would look over her sister until she returned home. Of course it wasn’t easy for her knowing the problems that could occur during the time frame, but sometimes things just had to be done. The occupied pig looked up from her light, pink suitcase which laid on the fuchsia comforter of her bed with a sorry expression.
“I have to Colette,” she pleaded as she stared into the emerald eyes of her miserable sister. Though Colette was not a pig with pointy ears and a snout, she was still very beautiful. Her complexion was the color of a newly picked tangerine, and her long braid the color of beach sand. She has a few groups of freckles on her cheeky face. How could one not feel bad about leaving this behind? Sue continued to fold tunics, pants, and under garments.
“You know, the theatre has an address Colette! I could give it to you, and then you could write me whenever you want! Would you like that?” Colette was unsure. But suddenly, she came around the opposite side of the bed where her sister stood angrily.
“How come I can’t go too?” she asked. “I thought Muppets were for children anyways. I’m six! You’re in your, I don’t even know! Mid-twenties?”
Annie Sue wasn’t similar to Miss Piggy personality wise at all. If some “tot” were to smart talk the diva, he or she would’ve received either a glass shattering scream, or a gut tearing karate chop. However, Sue had a very unique way of handling issues such as this. She actually took the time to mend the problem. She had finished packing, and zipped up her suitcase quickly. Then she held Colette’s hand, and led her towards the door. Tosh was not home quite yet, and it was necessary that she found something appropriate in the almost empty refrigerator to fix for her. Usually she would whip together a microwavable, pre-made meal on Friday evenings. But because she would probably be leaving the next day, she wanted to do something a little special.
“I’ll tell you why I’m going if you let me make you a nice plate of spaghetti. Is it a deal?”
Colette smiled shyly.
“Yeah, I guess so.”
The two walked down the wooden steps of the confined apartment building. The family didn’t have much money or income after all. Before Colette, Annie’s family used to be her mother, father, older brother, and herself. About five years after Annie’s birth however, her mother began to go through severe depression and anxiety causing her to be miserable each day of her life. She began to spend most of her days locked in her bedroom; the blind and curtains shut completely. No one was allowed to even peek inside to give a salutation or retrieve anything. Eventually, the woman became so miserable and unhappy that she began to skip meals. During breakfast, she might’ve gotten a couple slices of bread to nibble on, but that was basically all. She would soon lose half of her body weight, and tons of energy. It got to the point where her husband couldn’t even warm up the guts to speak to her, and left without a single trace or mark. Annie, her mother, and her older brother were left in the house alone.
At this point, the family was beginning to go through serious poverty. Because of the loss of her father, there wasn’t a single income coming in to pay the bills and feed the members. Annie’s brother wasn’t up to working late hours, on account that he was lazy and inconsiderate. He eventually moved out to live with one of his school-mates who had a nice sized condo down town. He left a few dollars and a couple pairs of raggedy pants behind that smelt worse than a pig sty. There were two down, one to go.
Though the generous female was quite young, she knew that there was nothing else that could be done to save her “family” and herself from suffering. The only other option was to somehow find a way to convince her mother to find someone to fix things. She told her mother in a child-like tone what she thought had to be done. After making several phone calls for assistance, Annie Sue’s mother had finally found someone she knew from long ago who was willing to look after her loving daughter. At the time Colette was not born, but Annie could tell from the looks of the tall, stern man that she was under the care of someone very brave and smart.

Once Annie sat Colette at the dining room table, she walked over to the spacious food cabinets in black flats, to examine the spaghetti. ‘Best until May 18th hmm?’ she thought. ‘It’s probably best to just get a fresh meal. I don’t want to take any chances.’
Annie glanced at her sister sweetly as she dug into the pocket of her kitten gray slacks. Inside was her zebra-striped wallet, a final gift from her mother. Inside of it she kept her coins, cash, and cards. There was only a twenty-dollar bill inside, which she would have to use for food and emergency costs on her trip. Her stepfather was generous enough to pay for her train ticket and hotel fairs himself.
“Colette, if father approved, would you care for some chicken nuggets at King Fast’s?” Fast food was considered extremely unhealthy to Tosh who was a vegetarian for all of his life. Colette’s mouth became an upside down rainbow.
“Oh Annie, do you really mean it?” she asked unbelievingly.
“Sure. As long as Dad is okay with it, I don’t see why not.” Just then a short alert sound came from Annie Sue’s laptop, which sat on the bar counter in the kitchen. It was the sound it made whenever she received an email from someone. Her spirits lifted as she raced to read it. Her heart wanted it to be Kermit getting back with her on the final details and plans. She pressed her fingers against the button which allowed the top to rise. On the monitor, was a small blue box with a message from her father.

To: Annie

Hello sweetheart, I hope all is well at the house with you and Colette and that everything is running smoothly. How was your day so far? My day at the office was exceptional. Nothing truly exciting happened really. I just wanted to say that I can’t even begin to put into words how proud I am of you coming this far. I know it isn’t easy dear. Especially with all the family issues you’ve been through, throughout basically, your entire life. You are honestly a brave and loyal woman…
Her father’s touching words were the best thing she had heard in a long, long time. It was enough to change her point of view on everything, including her inner self. Of course, words of meaning would be inspiring to anyone who’s never had a constant role model or guide in their life.

I also needed to explain something to you very important Annie, but I need you to hold yourself together. Colette’s mother, (Helen), has been going through some major mental problems lately due to the stress of work and financial issues, I suppose. Even though we’ve been divorced for quite some time now, I still feel it to be my responsibility to look after her as good friends should. I just don’t want anything crucial to happen to her while I’m at home looking after your sister. So, I’m not coming home this evening. I am going to stay here in the city to keep an eye on Helen for a while…

Everything was going just perfectly! Annie had her hopes up of learning to hit high notes, and carry long tunes. She had a vision that she would finally learn to leap like a true ballet dancer, and take note of all the amazing things that theatre had to offer. And now, Tosh was sending her a depressing message about how he wouldn’t be coming home from work due to Helen’s issues. It wasn’t that she was selfish, or even careless for that matter. But sometimes when she was let down over something she really desired, it was difficult to picture anything else.

Don’t worry; I’m not suggesting that you cannot leave tomorrow. In fact, that wouldn’t work out anyhow. I am not very fond of the Muppets in any way, but perhaps you could speak to Kermit about bringing Colette along with you. I know you wanted this trip to just be about you and your dream, but honestly there are no other options Annie. I spoke to Helen, and she really feels guilty about everything. She even tried to persuade me to go home so that you could go. But I told her that I knew you could handle this on your own. You’ve been an independent young lady from the day you were born, and I just know you can do this. Once again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience darling. But sometimes, urgent situations come up that you just can’t ignore. I love you very much, and I wish you the best on your trip.
P.S: (Be sure to pack your sister everything she needs: clothes, food, and entertainment. And don’t worry about the extra train ticket, Helen kindly offered to pay for it.)
Sincerely,
Daddy

“Daddy is not coming home today,” began Annie sounding incautious. Her body was shivering from the unexpected news her father had sent. Colette whose head was now buried into her folded arms on the table snored. She had spent the previous night squealing and carrying on about how she didn’t want her older sister to leave so soon. Annie looked down at the tiny girl, and almost cried. Then, she took her hands and fixed the denim hat that was fixed upon her golden curls. Just seeing her sister dream in silent peace was enough to remind her of the reason why she remained so strong as the oldest. It wasn’t because she wanted to receive an overly amount of respect and dignity. But because she knew that if she wasn’t strong enough to overcome life’s barriers, she wouldn’t be Annie Sue.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Hmm, very interesting start indeed. Would love a flashback scene to see how Kermit and Piggy got engaged at some point in the story. I liked how you described their relationship, but the one thing I disagree with is how a lot of people describe Piggy as the constant diva, demanding constant attention and need. One thing that Piggy is also very good at is taking care of the things, and people, she loves most in life. When Kermit is struggling, Piggy is always there trying to soothe him and give him what he needs, even if that thing is space. Hope we can see that supportive side of Piggy, along with her vulnerable side as well.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Hmm, very interesting start indeed. Would love a flashback scene to see how Kermit and Piggy got engaged at some point in the story. I liked how you described their relationship, but the one thing I disagree with is how a lot of people describe Piggy as the constant diva, demanding constant attention and need. One thing that Piggy is also very good at is taking care of the things, and people, she loves most in life. When Kermit is struggling, Piggy is always there trying to soothe him and give him what he needs, even if that thing is space. Hope we can see that supportive side of Piggy, along with her vulnerable side as well.
I agree. I also hate this part:

For some reason, the person he was speaking to wasn’t of Piggy’s list of approval. There were certain folks he had her permission to call, and certain ones she put on “ignore”. Considering the fact that Kermit wasn’t the best with technology, he had no idea on how to take it off.
To me, that's just supporting the flanderized one-dimensional version of the relationship that most of us loathe and despise, IMO, and makes the relationship seem way too potentially abusive, like the kind of relationship nobody would want to be in.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
I definitely like the story so far though and curious to see where it goes. I also loved how you described Piggy's clothes and how she was dreaming of what Kermit would look like! That is definitely Piggy-like.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Regardless, let's hope that a valid reason for her getting worse in this story will be given, which could maybe help explain why she went through her flanderization and is now going too far with her over-protectiveness (including going so far as to control who Kermit keeps in contact with, which is something no one in a relationship of any kind should do) and will have to learn to overcome all that.