The Rainbow Connection: Richard Hunt, Gay Muppeteer

davidmartiste

Reaction score
This looks like such a great zine and I had not seen this posted here yet. http://microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/zines/2858/

One of the Tough Pigs bloggers wrote this and I think it looks like a wonderful piece worth mentioning wherever Muppet fans may be found. If this has already been posted somewhere on MC, my apologies.

My copy is on order and, as a Muppet fan and Richard Hunt fan, I can't wait to get my hands on it. Would love to hear what other people who have read it think. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It is a good Zine. I got the chance to meet author Jessica Max Stein when she toured San Francisco last year. It was a fantastic presentation. There's a thread about it somewhere around here, but it's nice to see it mentioned again. There's also an interview with Richard's mother on Tough Pigs' website.

:wink: :eek: :flirt:
Happy reading!​

davidmartiste

Reaction score
It is a good Zine. I got the chance to meet author Jessica Max Stein when she toured San Francisco last year. It was a fantastic presentation. There's a thread about it somewhere around here, but it's nice to see it mentioned again. There's also an interview with Richard's mother on Tough Pigs' website.

:wink: :eek: :flirt:
Happy reading!​
I saw the interview. That's what made me think it was relatively new. Would love to have seen the presentation. I saw a mention of one in Chicago recently where she presented some Muppet footage as well. So upset I missed this in NY!

Anyway - cool article from Chicago on this: http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/gay/lesbian/news/ARTICLE.php?AID=24025

davidmartiste

Reaction score
I just wanted to leave a little review in case anyone is considering purchasing the zine. It's totally worth it. The writing is enjoyable and a quick read. I had a couple hours each night over the weekend and devoured it in no time. Sprinkled throughout are small bio/essays on the women in Muppet history as well. Great observations about what Richard brought to the Muppets and how his influence shaped them. Some insight on Richard's last few years were very touching to read - the goodbye party at the "Muppet residence" in the upper West side of NYC stands out. Well researched and well written. Kudos to Max. I really hope this leads to the book that has been hinted at.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I didn't think this was still new news Richard Hunt was gay. :/

Misskermie

Reaction score
Well, I didnt know that.
I was never the first one to know things.

Josefus

Reaction score
Yes! I have and have read this zine as well, and I too found it very worthwhile. I learned a ton (including that Richard Hunt was gay! so hey, not everyone knows these things) and I found the recontextualization of rainbow connection to be simultaneously obvious, and something I had never considered. Definitely worth buying a copy.