The Purple AMs - Where's the Love?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In watching my Old School DVDs, and various other clips of classic SST on YouTube, I've noticed something... where's the love for the purple AMs?

In those early years, they seemed to be used heavily in AM sketches, as well as later used for Roosevelt Franklin and his mother... then after that, it's like they were pretty much phased out - even from day one we still had the pointy-headed green AM, the fat blue AM, the tall pumpkin AM, various mini pink AMs, and later on we were given a plain lavendar AM then came the glove-handed pumpkin and lavendar AMs... but honestly, it seems like while I've seen all of these other AMs a bazillion times, I can count only so many non Roosevelt Franklin/Season One sketches featuring the purple AMs... "Amigo", "Miami Mice", the camerman of Prairie Dawn's version of "Singin' in the Rain", one of Telly Tut's pharaohs... that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

When I think about it, it seems like they're only used when a random Black or Hispanic character is needed, but still...

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
Purple AMs

Hello everybodeeeee.......:super:

Sorry I have not been on for some time, I have been quite ill. Regarding the purple Anything Muppets question, it IS quite odd that there aren't many of them shown. I have no idea why that is, but I would hope the new box set has some clips with Roosevelt in them. I really like him. :smile:

Your dear friend,
Kitt

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's pretty cool he could get a school named after him, lol.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Snowths... Listen to MuppetCast 124 for answers regarding RF. It seems rather ironic when you compare how the character was championed by outside groups for both introduction and outright removal.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Heh, I just remembered another sketch the standard-sized purple AM was featured in - "The King's Problem".

It was one of the king's aides, but he didn't have really important role, other than informing the other aides that the king has a problem...

PURPLE AM: Listen, have you heard the king has a problem? He has really big problem.
PUMPKIN AM: Well I'm the biggest person in the kingdom, so I shall solve the king's problem!
GREEN AM: *Zips in* What'sthat? Thekinghasaproblem? WellI'mthefastestpersoninthekingdomsoI'llsolveitfast!
BLUE AM: *Walks by* Well far be it for me to argue, but I am the smart person in the kingdom, so if the king has a problem, I can figure out the answer.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Mmm, that purple AM dude must be the one I've got denoted in the list as the Messenger.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah yes, the list, lol.

I didn't know that was your site Ed, I used to contribute to it a long time ago, but I for the life of me can't remember which all I've specifically contributed as far as characters are concerned, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear I saw a Purple AM somewhere in the Preschool Musical sketch... I swear I did. I checked back and didn't see one...

Maybe there was one in the background. They made a bunch of small AMs for that skit.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At least like a few others, both the purple AMs (regular and mini) were given semi-regular characters in Roosevelt Franklin and his mother.

Ala - the blue AM being given Mr. "Fat Blue" Johnson and Simon Soundman, or the golden yellow being given Guy Smiley and Monty, etc.