The Powerpuff Girls voice artists

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I saw it last night. I'm sorry you didn't get to see it. Hopefully, it will come back on again someday.
Thanks! my cousin said the same think, heh!

I don't mind the movie being separate.

I've seen the Japanese version before. It's pretty cool!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I heard there was a Japanese version of the PPG series called Powerpuff Girls Z. It features the same familiar heroes and villains, but with different origins and some new characters as well. I'm hoping it will come to Cartoon Network someday. It sounds cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerpuff_Girls_Z

It's alright, I guess. I've heard nothing but bad things, actually. The thing is, while the American version is a send up of Super Hero cartoons in general, the Japanese version is supposedly a send up of the Magic Girl super hero show... you know Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew and like that. But apparently, either the send up is really subtle, or it winds up embodying the thing that its supposedly a parody of.

Plus, I mean, nothing beats the humor of the original series... one of my favorite endings comes from the episode "Him Diddle Riddle" where Him makes the girls solve all these random puzzles before Noon or he'll make the Professor pay. Of course, by pay, it means he has to pay for breakfast... Him wagered the Professor that the girls wouldn't be able to solve them all. The Professor grumbles off and pays while the girls, having gone through that whole ordeal, stand there slack jawed. As did the narrator, who delivers his ending line, "And so the...um...yeahh..."

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That Japanese show appears to drain everything unique and charming about the Powerpuff Girls and replace it with a very generic and Anime feel sorely lacking in substance. There are enough shows like that out there. It just seems like they stamped the name on something entirely different. :confused:

Redsonga

Reaction score
An anime 'feel' isn't generic , or a bad thing:wink:. Mainstream anime has depth if you look into the story *hugs Sailor Moon for getting magical girl anime right* and a lot more emotion than many new series made here to boot (many, I didn't say all, but hardly anything made lately can make me cry and feel for the characters the way anime does). But I like the anime feel and style, most of all in most of the 80's-90's anime series that everyone is coping now. It true that they copied others to began with, but to me the 80's-90's series were the ones that did things just right (to me, I don't feel like debating older shows, everyone has what they like).

I feel the same way about Powerpuff_Girls_Z as I did when I tried to love Tokyo Mew Mew and Wedding Peach, and found out Sailor Moon did things much much better: It's shiny and pretty, but it doesn't have much thinking going on behind it (*sigh* Yes, magical girl anime has thinking, I know I know some people hate them no matter what :stick_out_tongue:. I'm not one of those :wink:. ). This isn't because it is anime, it is more because it was done (IMHO) as professional fanart of our series. The same goes for Stitch! (although, I've never seen it, it might be okay :3 ). All and all, I don't think it hurts our versions at all, so a fanart series is okay if they want/need one :3. I just won't be it's number one fan...
Edits:
Oh, here it is :big_grin: *goes to watch*

Drtooth

Reaction score
That Japanese show appears to drain everything unique and charming about the Powerpuff Girls and replace it with a very generic and Anime feel sorely lacking in substance. There are enough shows like that out there. It just seems like they stamped the name on something entirely different. :confused:
The funny thing is, if you check out something called TMNT Chojin Legend They actually do a bit of both. And somehow, I think it satires anime a lot better, albeit more subtle (right down to mocking DBZ's Super Sayans and Fusion modes... at least, I think they're trying to make fun of it). They even have the same basic character designs... only April looks slightly different... and Shredder is completely redrawn in both parts.... sometimes you can find the whole thing subtitled on Youtube. It ain't half that bad, actually. Stupid, but not all that bad.

Of course, for a more biting satire of anime, I suggest checking out Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. A story that takes mindless detours into a Family Guy/ Space Ghost Coast to Coast spiral of non-sequitor madness. This Clip does a shocking job of satirizing Magic Girl theme songs, and then turning it into a bit of devine weirdness, as singing somehow controls the story line.

But either PPGZ's humor is too inside Japanese, or too subtle, since I have yet to see anything really satirical, instead of clearly embodying it...

Though, I wonder what would have happened if they made a PPG anime more like Tensai Bakabon, a series that seems to be a almost a Japanese precursor to the Simpsons, with a funky, goofy style you just don't see in mainstream stuff the US gets.