The Old Cartoon Network Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hope Mac will be included.
Doesn't look like it.

Odd they went with Eduardo, but he seems like the breakout favorite of the show. Probably because he isn't a lovable sociopath (just lovable) or an obnoxious character that even the characters in the show hate.

I'm pleased with the selection, and hope sales are strong enough for a series 2 (with Chowder? Please please please?). But since they're blind boxed, I don't think I'd buy many of them. It'd be cool if they had some window boxes like collectors edition Breaking Bad ones. I was looking for an Uncle Grandpa something to add to my cartoon memorabilia collection. Would be great if they had Pizza Steve in there too.

But PPG should get its own line of blind box figures. There's certainly enough characters there.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I meant to say I hope he'll be included in the next wave or so.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I remember there was an oddity that both PPG and EEE shared when they first started airing: for some reason, CN aired their second episodes first, then their first episodes second. Interestingly enough though, CN and Danny have different orders for the episodes, so in actuality, the first two episodes aired in order according to Danny, but were flipped according to CN.
I do remember seeing on Cartoon Network's site a long time ago that "Pop Goes the End/Over Your Ed" was listed before "The Ed-Touchables/Nagged to Ed" on their episode guide, but I never quite knew the reason they aired them in that order. Maybe it was because the animation/characters seemed a bit more undeveloped in the former episode (Pop/Over)?

Funnily enough, I once even tried e-mailing Cartoon Network about the discrepancies in the episode list after seeing the list on the old TV Tome website. That was back in like 2004 or so.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ugh, you had to bring up TV Tome. :sigh: I was so involved with that site back in the day, so I was not happy at all (neither was the rest of the entire community, mind you) when the webmaster sold out to CNet and it became TV.com. I'm over it now, but that was something I held a grudge over for a long time.

But yes, as for the episode guides, IIRC, the episodes on TV Tome were listed in order according to Danny, even though CN mixed up the ordering a bit according to themselves. Networks - even cable networks - seem to do this quite often in that they'll air episodes out of a particular order that they were produced in. What really gets me is that Rocko initially aired out of order (except for Season 2), then Nick began airing it in order during reruns, but put them on DVD out of order again. Then you have certain shows where they air like "test episodes" to start with, like how C&C aired a test episode that consisted of "Space Cow," "Orthodontic Police," and Weasel episode "Law of Gravity," or how Courage initially paired "Night of the Weremole" with "A Night at the Katz Motel."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Another peculiarity about when EEE first aired was that the first two episodes were broadcasted in PAL, for some reason. Not only that, but the colors were muted, the picture was fuzzy, and the end titles had a completely different font; see some examples for yourself:

Those oddities were eventually corrected for subsequent reruns and DVD, however, I'm glad I have the first two episodes on tape as they originally aired - they feel kind of historic.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If you look at the Stretch Films website, you'll find THE CHICKEN FROM OUTER SPACE with its original titles as opposed to the standard What A Cartoon titles CN gave it for broadcast, however, I recently found a version of THE ADVENTURES OF CAPT. BUZZ CHEAPLY on YouTube with its original titles as well:

At the same time, I was thinking the other day how on rare occasions, certain WAC shorts would forego having one of the characters shout, "WHAT! A! C-C-CARTOON-TOON-TOON-TOON!" For example, COW AND CHICKEN had Cow mooing, then sobbing; similarly, SHAKE & FLICK had Flick growling, Shake screaming, then Flick belching. Anybody remember any others?

Another oddity was certain WAC shorts shared intros with others - the only example I can think of off the top of my head are BOID N WOIM and ZOONATICS sharing the same intro, but I think there were others.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Yeah, it was nice to see that The Chicken from Outer Space had its own opening titles (especially with Courage waving in his circle!). Good intro music, too.

About the What-a-Cartoon Show, I don't remember any instances you mentioned, but I was thinking tonight about something related to WaC - I remember back in the summer of 2002, they actually aired some of the WaC shorts during Cartoon Cartoon Fridays (I had also recorded a few shorts that summer, namely Swamp and Tad, Tumbleweed Tex, and Short Orders). Anybody know exactly why they reran the older shorts that summer? Was it supposed to be in conjunction with the new Cartoon Cartoon Show shorts which premiered that summer as well?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember during the very last CCW, they suddenly played a few of those WAC pilots, which was odd, because once they went to series, a lot of the WAC pilots ceased to be seen. Some of them were managed into episodes of their series propers, like Johnny and Dexter, both other WAC pilots were rarely, if ever, seen again. Actually, it's interesting that after 1997, new WAC shorts retained their original titles, I think because by that time CN was phasing out the WAC umbrella and regarding them as one-shot Cartoon Cartoons.

But anyway, I saw a commercial today for the PPG reboot. I'm not interested in all honesty, but I do like the slightly updated/improved art style . . . and I'm so glad they went back to Mojo Jojo's original ears and not those odd-looking pointed ears they gave him for whatever reason since the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But anyway, I saw a commercial today for the PPG reboot. I'm not interested in all honesty, but I do like the slightly updated/improved art style . . . and I'm so glad they went back to Mojo Jojo's original ears and not those odd-looking pointed ears they gave him for whatever reason since the movie.
Oh yeah. The "movie" look. I did like how the digital animation they were starting to use gave the series a cleaner and more consistent look, but then they redesigned everything barely a season later to look like the movie's look and we got demon Mojo Jojo and the Professor looked more like a "My Life as a Teenage Robot" character. Can't say I hated it, but I'm not a fan. I remember getting a BK Kid's meal Mojo Jojo figure and everyone thought it was a knockoff because they designed it after the movie version before the movie came out.