The Old Cartoon Network Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Off topic, I don't get the hate Ripping Friends gets. Sucks that they couldn't be as insanely off model as they did for Ren and Stimpy, but it works for this show. It's supposed to be a 1950's comic book super hero parody, being a bit stiff actually holds that down a bit. I'm disappointed that it never became the grand, theatrical film John K originally wanted produced (this was revealed in an Animation Magazine a couple years shy of a decade before the cartoon was greenlit), but the cartoon was actually pretty good. I really wish that John would revisit the characters and make it the show he wants it to be, or even just some weird series of indie funded shorts. It's a real shame the characters have to be thrown out with a not as bad as anyone says series. I mean, Adult Cartoon Party was unwatchable (not as bad as some of the last episodes of the original series, though), but RF had a lot of potential.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's an interesting promo:

What's interesting about it is that it actually came out before EEE did, however if you look at the 0:45 mark, there they are walking into the building.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I feel like I brought this up before, but you know that ice cream man episode of Dexter? Okay, so the ice cream man holds a grudge against Dexter for paying for an expensive ice cream bar with a heavy jar of pennies, causing him to fall and break his tooth. First of all, the man's girlfriend dumped him as a result . . . okay, that I can see in a situation where perhaps the girl is superficial about silly thigs, but the chain reaction that follows makes no sense: he also has his car repossessed, he's evicted from his apartment, he's forced to live under highway overpasses . . . what? How do you lose everything that you have in the world all because of a broken tooth?!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, there was something else about C&C's animation that struck me odd as a kid, particularly in the earliest episodes, whenever there was a lot of motion . . . it's hard to describe in words, so here's some visual aids:

I seem to recall EEE's earliest episodes having this animation oddity as well; I'm trying to remember an interview I read with Danny Antonucci about that: I think it had something to do with some kind of post-production process when getting the animation back from Korea or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While we can either cheer or jeer the comeback of classic CN programming in reboot/long awaited sequel form, there's one show that came back that isn't welcome.

Baby Looney Tunes.

Now, I loved over the summer when they randomly brought back Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries (on Boomerang, then CN), but was disappointed Taz-Mania and even Duck Dodgers (more recent) weren't part of that resurgence. The Looney Tunes Show and Wabbit have brought back the Looney Tunes on both networks, same as The Tom and Jerry Show and their spinoff Tom and Jerry movies brought back their old cartoons and Kid's WB's Tom and Jerry Tales. Unfortunately, in what could only be described as trying to poorly compete with Disney and Nick Jr's preschool programming, they brought back "Lobotomized Muppet Babies Clone." And not for like a one or two episodes a day thing. 2 solid hour blocks (with a classic cartoon violence Tom and Jerry hour in between, I don't get that logic) as well as another block on Boomerang. You'd think classic Looney Tunes or even another LT based TV show would be favored, but sadly not.

While I still don't care much for Loonatics, or even those bad DePatie Freling 1960's outsourced Looney Tunes cartoons (Bunny and Clyde, and that terrible Cool Cat cartoon that just made poor jokes about Native Americans that come off more pathetic than they would racist), I find BLT to be the Looney Tunes nadir. I know it's supposed to be for preschoolers, but that's no excuse for the shoddy quality. We've all seen Muppet Babies and what that show was capable of. While there are Muppet fans that have a beef with it (I'm not one of them. YAY Baby Gonzo!), we can all agree that it was a very good preschool-first grade series in an era of Care Bears (at least the awful DIC era ones) and "The Complainer is Always Wrong," MB took bold steps into action, adventure and mild peril. Baby Looney Tunes is nothing like that, only ripping off Nanny with Granny (June Foray going to waste here) and Baby Animal with Baby Taz (but that's inevitable). Overall, they didn't get the heart and soul of the show, which was the one thing they should have copied.

That said, HEY! At least Teen Titans Go is not the worst thing on the channel anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Titans Toys is releasing a series of Blind Box CN vinyl figures

And they're a mix between older shows and newer ones.

From the "classic" era I spotted 2 Johnnies Bravo, a Samurai Jack, Eduardo from Fosters, 2 Dexters and a Dee Dee, and a Grim.

As for the newer figures, Gumball, 2 Finns (but no Jake) Mordecai, Rigby, Steven Universe, and Uncle Grandpa.

While I'm not huge into these sorts of blind figures normally, I love how there's finally some Johnny merchandise outside of Wendy's Kids Meal and Kellogg's top promotion.

But danged if that Uncle Grandpa doesn't look sweet.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So Johnn, Dexter, Samurai Jack, and Grim are the only good CN shows that are getting these things?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Only shows you like, you mean.

I'm impressed they mixed old with new. Certainly if sales are good enough there will be more. I'm glad PPG isn't part of the line up because that would be a good line all its own. Kinda a shame my other favorite older series Cow and Chicken (or even Weasel) isn't in there. But it's nice to see some characters that never got a toy line get notice.

As long as "My Gym Partner's a Monkey" is no where near this product line.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember there was an oddity that both PPG and EEE shared when they first started airing: for some reason, CN aired their second episodes first, then their first episodes second. Interestingly enough though, CN and Danny have different orders for the episodes, so in actuality, the first two episodes aired in order according to Danny, but were flipped according to CN.