The Old Cartoon Network Thread

Schfifty

Reaction score
Either way, most people agree that a lot of cartoons on both Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network after about 2004 weren't very good but since Adventure Time it's gotten much better on both channels.
Cartoon Network would get my vote of better if it didn't throw away most of its programs from pre-2004 and flood a majority of the schedule with its most popular shows. Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry (and maybe perhaps to a tiny extent, Baby Looney Tunes) are pretty much the only "classics" CN airs on its channel nowadays, but I think today's generation deserves to see more on the channel than just those few. Back in the early 2000s, they aired classic Looney Tunes, T&J, Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, etc. along with the new shows. They don't really do that on CN anymore nowadays, since a lot of the schedule is taken up by Gumball, TTG ... you know what I mean. So unless some households have Boomerang, kids are missing out on seeing some classic animated material...what cartoons used to be like back in the '30s and '50s.

Just my two cents.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I understand what you mean. On one hand I agree with you, CN shows the same shows all day over and over, they could definitely replace some of the reruns with some classic shows. But still, they have to make sure that kids know about the current shows, that's the only way they can make money.

Plus, I think the main reason they got rid of most of the older shows (such as the Hanna Barbera shows) was because kids were starting to find them boring, and let's face it, much of the time if something is old kids don't want to see it. I definitely can't see a show like Yogi Bear or The Flinstones holding kids' attention anymore.

But yeah, they show Gumball and Teen Titans Go waaay too much, especially the latter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Although, I sort of feel like a lot of older fans' hate towards the newer shows may have a lot to do with nostalgia. Many of them hate on the shows without ever even watching them or only watching one or two episodes.
Tell me about it. That "infographic" is pretty darn unfair with like 2 exceptions. It comes off exactly with the same maturity and wit you'd expect some butthurt brat whining that they can't watch the very same shows they're freaking watching illegally on torrent sites anyway.

Now, I'll agree with two things. My Gym Partner is a Monkey was a terrible show with lazy writing and Johnny Test was only on the network because it was cheap. I'd love to question the deep research and thought that went into including a Nicktoon in the graphic about NC. Sure, Fanboy and ChumChum is freaking awful. That I'll agree to.

But everything else smacks of "I don't like it because it's not my exact taste so therefore personal taste equals quality." If that were true, Age of Extinction is a far better film than Citizen Kane because I actually got enjoyment out of Age of Extinction. Quality and matter of taste are not related. Usually what makes something bad is pretty universal. Not to say you can't like something low quality and bad, but there's a difference between "I don't care for Marvel movies" and "Batman VS Superman was an incoherent mess."

I have no problem with any of CN's currently produced shows as far as the shows they are. A little on TTG, but I'm not going to fall into the trap of getting too personally insulted by being a TT'03 fan. More of a "depending on the writer or subject" deal. I do have problems with their airing schedule and I indeed have a problem with them bringing Baby Looney Tunes back from the grave. They...I thought they didn't have to have a TV/EI block on cable. Which reminds me. One of the "WAAAAAAAH! The network doesn't cater exactly to me" videos on Youtube about how the network changed, the thumbnail was Baby Looney Tunes. Make of that what you will.

Plus, I think the main reason they got rid of most of the older shows (such as the Hanna Barbera shows) was because kids were starting to find them boring, and let's face it, much of the time if something is old kids don't want to see it. I definitely can't see a show like Yogi Bear or The Flinstones holding kids' attention anymore.
Funny thing is CN does indeed have blocks of Classic Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry. Just in the mornings when kids are at school. Warner Bros is trying to make Tom and Jerry their new Scooby-Doo, and it shows with the number of DTV Tom and Jerry Projects. They even had to make an odd Tom and Jerry crossover with Johnny Quest to bring Johnny back into the public eye whenever the heck that movie's released.

Though, if there's one thing I'm actually surprised not to hear much anymore about how CN was "ruined" in the 90's by adding original programming because the network wasn't a 24/hr Scooby-Doo network anymore. And frankly..yeah. They aired a crapload more than just HB shows. They had Beetlejuice and Freakazoid and stuff like that. CN, before the advent of even Dexter's Lab, had a lot more classic stuff than you could shake a stick at. And REMEMBER! There was a time on the internet that the 90's CN shows that the new shows "suck" because they're completely different from were subject to the same level of nostalgic myopia as the new shows are. In short, every freaking generation thinks they have the best cartoons, and go on the right Youtube upload of an episode of the worst older cartoon you can think of, and someone will defend it by tearing stuff they're too old to enjoy apart. If someone can defend something as asinine, poorly executed on every level, and cynical as "Maxie's World," you can defend anything.

That said, Yogi Bear and The Smurfs were on Boomerang when those shows' respective movies came out. Flintstones was also on Boomerang before the relaunch. Last year both Boomerang and CN actually ran Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries for no reason whatsoever (but casually forgot about Taz-Mania and Duck Dodgers). I did not expect that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Plus, I think the main reason they got rid of most of the older shows (such as the Hanna Barbera shows) was because kids were starting to find them boring, and let's face it, much of the time if something is old kids don't want to see it.
I know I've brought this up before, but that is so true, kids just have this mentality that anything old is automatically 'bad" and not worthy of their time or attention . . . I can attest to that, because as a kid, I was the only one in school who liked Rocky and Bullwinkle (and still do), all the other kids dismissed it simply on the grounds that it was old. And, unfortunately, this is why CBS keeps coloring I LOVE LUCY episodes, because "kids today" won't watch a show that's in black-and-white . . . and now, more recently, they've been coloring black-and-white episodes of Andy Griffith, which is an absolute disgrace: part of the charm of those black-and-white episodes was the black-and-white; I know the switch to color happened in the 60s, and all shows previously in b&w made the switch, but somehow color just didn't fit Andy Griffith - on top of that and losing Barney Fife, the show just fell flat.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
But everything else smacks of "I don't like it because it's not my exact taste so therefore personal taste equals quality." If that were true, Age of Extinction is a far better film than Citizen Kane because I actually got enjoyment out of Age of Extinction. Quality and matter of taste are not related. Usually what makes something bad is pretty universal. Not to say you can't like something low quality and bad, but there's a difference between "I don't care for Marvel movies" and "Batman VS Superman was an incoherent mess."
Thank you! that's what i've been saying to people for a long time. Just because you don't like something that doesn't make it bad.
I have no problem with any of CN's currently produced shows as far as the shows they are. A little on TTG, but I'm not going to fall into the trap of getting too personally insulted by being a TT'03 fan. More of a "depending on the writer or subject" deal. I do have problems with their airing schedule and I indeed have a problem with them bringing Baby Looney Tunes back from the grave. They...I thought they didn't have to have a TV/EI block on cable. Which reminds me. One of the "WAAAAAAAH! The network doesn't cater exactly to me" videos on Youtube about how the network changed, the thumbnail was Baby Looney Tunes. Make of that what you will.
Yeah, I never really like to compare the 2003 Teen Titans with the new Teen Titans since they're both very separate things. But TTG is just too mindless and unstructured for me to enjoy.
And yah, definitely agree with Baby Looney Tunes, why would they bring that back when there's so many other much better Looney Tunes spin offs they could show. Tazmania, Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, showing Tiny Toons would be awesome. Why BLTs?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I never really like to compare the 2003 Teen Titans with the new Teen Titans since they're both very separate things. But TTG is just too mindless and unstructured for me to enjoy.
And yah, definitely agree with Baby Looney Tunes, why would they bring that back when there's so many other much better Looney Tunes spin offs they could show. Tazmania, Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, showing Tiny Toons would be awesome. Why BLTs?
I tend to think of TTG as the "Omake" OVA to the original series. Only it's a full series of its own. I just think the show could be better playing to its strengths than just "Teen Titans obsess with something dumb for 10 minutes."

As for Baby Looney Tunes. Yeah. I have no idea why. If they're trying again for a preschool audience because preschool programming is a gold mine, they're just as misguided as when they had Tickle U and American dubbed Peppa Pig. Seriously, the reason to watch the show is that its as British as heck and it's actually kinda campy funny as a result. But BLT is the worst of the Looney Tunes. Worse than Loonatics (which at least tried in its second season), worse than Injun Trouble... even the late 60's Coyote and Road Runner cartoons made well after Chuck Jones revel in BLT's terribleness. The sad thing is, not counting the original LT shorts and Tom and Jerry, it's the oldest thing on the network.

Now, to be fair, there are problems I do have with CN and Boomerang. But it's more on the level of programming schedule than anything. And the fact the network lacks a competent action series block, leaving Transformers RID early Saturday Mornings, not to mention the lack of a DC series outside of TTG. A short form Justice League series is in production, but I completely agree that Green Lantern, Beware the Batman, Young Justice, Megas XLR, and Thundercats were all screwed. I also dislike the lack of variety and how they discontinued the Saturday Morning Line up of Bunnicula, Wabbit, and Be Cool Scooby-Doo within a month. But I can't complain about the shows much.

Though...I have one pet peeve. Adult Swim still pulls the whole "we don't get the appeal of anime beyond fat fanboys with body pillows" schtick (especially in their bumpers) but extols the values of Mr. Pickles. You know, that terrible show where they throw cheap jokes out every 2 seconds because the concept of a possessed Lassie isn't enough? Yeah. Spaze Dantys is teh stoopit cuz thcharacters aren't ugly enough.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw that cartoon. I almost threw up. Great stuff.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Remember when two CN shows actually gave endorsements for the Got Milk? ad campaign?

Cow and Chicken had a one-shot commercial in the summer of 1998 where Chicken wanted to impress a pair of girls, only to have them tell him he's too skinny, prompting him to try a bulking powder where you "just add milk." Then, of course, there was that series of Japanese vacation commercials.

Then later, PPG had a series of commercials and magazine ads for Got Milk? I remember one such commercial Blossom did for strawberry milk with Fuzzy Lumpkins as a school bus driver confiscating all the kids' strawberry milk because he needed the calcium for strong bones (and it made his fur pank); another had the three girls milking flavors into their milk in their own way before getting a call on their hotline.

Luke kun

Reaction score
You forgot about TOM in this thread? He was sexy and bulky. Mainly his 3.0 design. I've always wanted to see TOM 3 work out. Have they ever done that?