The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Grinch remake a lousy film? Hardly.
Agree to disagree. :wink:

But anyway, here are some Nostalgia Critic-inspired graphics and such I've done this past year...
Lol, those are great! And I actually recognized all of them, clearly I'm watching him too much, lol.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I feel that the Carrey and Zemekis Grinch is a slap in the face to Suess and Jones. It misses the point of the source material. Truly terrible in this frogboy's opinion.

Horton is alright. The art direction is beautiful. I enjoy different pieces of the picture rather than the whole of the movie. It's the ensemble cast that holds the movie together rather than Horton. He really should have been the glue and that's the main obstacle of the film. I could really see that ensemble concept working better as a weekly program. More of a World of Horton project.

Princeton

Reaction score
Horton is alright. The art direction is beautiful. I enjoy different pieces of the picture rather than the whole of the movie. It's the ensemble cast that holds the movie together rather than Horton.
With Carol Burnett in the role of a lifetime: a hatchet-faced prude who kills everyone's buzz. That was a real stretch for her. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I feel that the Carrey and Zemekis Grinch is a slap in the face to Suess and Jones.
You're getting the Grinch and Christmas Carol mixed up: the Disney remake of A Christmas Carol was directed by Zemeckis, the Grinch remake was directed by Ron Howard.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You're getting the Grinch and Christmas Carol mixed up: the Disney remake of A Christmas Carol was directed by Zemeckis, the Grinch remake was directed by Ron Howard.
Oh yeah. That too. Both chillingly awful films. That's why I thought it was Zemeckis. Haven't liked a film of his since the 80's.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel that the Carrey and Zemekis Grinch is a slap in the face to Suess and Jones. It misses the point of the source material. Truly terrible in this frogboy's opinion.
The Grinch is only good if you actually like Jim Carrey. I admit, I kinda like the concept of the Grinch wanting to steal Christmas out of anger of a hypocritical society that doesn't appreciate what Christmas is all about. I kinda liked Jim Carrey back then and thus found the film alright. I think the complete Seussian makeup was wasted on such a meh movie. That said, I refuse to give Cat in the Hat any more than the couple minutes I saw of it. The Grinch was at least watchable, Cat in the hat was... well, suffice to say, I'm sure a lot of people swore off hard drugs watching that.

Horton is alright. The art direction is beautiful. I enjoy different pieces of the picture rather than the whole of the movie. It's the ensemble cast that holds the movie together rather than Horton. He really should have been the glue and that's the main obstacle of the film. I could really see that ensemble concept working better as a weekly program. More of a World of Horton project.
Horton was decent, but I totally agree it's an ensemble piece. Actually, everyone BUT Jim Carrey was pure magic. Even the Charles Osgood narration... but Jim just sounded completely generic. Like I say every time, they just wanted the name. Matt Frewer would have done the movie for half the price. Steve Carrel pretty much carried the film.

Though I agree with Snowth. Was there any call for Jojo to be an at the moment emo? Who else thought the "we really never seen an anime" anime sequence was unnecessary? And I really want to like Katie, but she feels completely in the wrong movie. Still, I'd say Horton's much higher quality than Grinch, but they both suck compared to the Chuck Jones versions (even though the Chuck Jones Horton was done on the cheap, and reused a LOT of animation, including an entire sequence from The Grinch).

I have ABSOLUTELY no excitement for The Lorax. I love Danny Devito, he's one of my favorite actors... I cursed my local MeTV for cutting to infomercials and not showing Taxi. But there's just nothing appealing to me in this film. It has a pretty Seussy look to it, but overall, the previews just give me the same yawn every third party kiddy film does.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Grinch is only good if you actually like Jim Carrey.
There were a handful of moments when the movie worked, but then they'd just give up and go for the cheap laugh again. Plus the Who's being all materialistic completely missed the point of the original story.

I have ABSOLUTELY no excitement for The Lorax.
The original cartoon was such a masterpiece. This remake trends just keeps annoying me more and more, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I'd only call The Grinch a remake, since it actually uses a secondary source for material (the Chuck Jones cartoon's music, as well as some other themes). The others are based specifically off the book, and technically not a remake... no more so than a Dracula film based on the book is a remake of the Bella Legousi one. I'm sure the Lorax movie couldn't be any further than the original Depatie Freling cartoon.

In fact, it seems everyone's completely ignorant of those ever existing. Though the Angry Beavers parody of Cat in the Hat manages to make reference to that cartoon. But then again, everyone's seen How the Grinch Stole Christmas... no one's seen (or remembers) Halloween is Grinch Night.

But while I do think materialistic Whos misses the point of the book, it manages to make a point all its own. The book and special have the Grinch stealing the Who's joy out of just being annoyed with it, the movie Grinch was just disgusted at the blatant hypocracy and greed of the Whos... and for a Christmas movie, that's a nice point to make. Still, the Jim Carrey bouncing took away from whatever the movie was supposed to be. But I kinda enjoyed it because I wasn't completely annoyed by him when I saw it.

As for the Lorax, I'll see a good percentage of kid's CGI movies, just not all of them. I was pleasantly surprised by Igor (though I hated how happy the ending was) and I quite enjoyed Despicable Me... but Lorax just doesn't look like it offers anything special at all. Just a plasticky, throwaway environmental message that will no doubt tick off a bunch of Neo-Con squawking heads, but offer no substance or open any eyes that refuse to be opened. The original book and animated cartoon were at least sincere about it.