The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Down where I live, it's mostly ethnic groups that pronounce it otherwise, which is why I said Doug is so far the only white guy I know of who pronounces it that way, lol.

In re-watching some older episodes, I actually overlooked a review that had one really redundant, yet amusing bit...

DOUG (as a little kid): You may be big and strong now, but I'M drinking my MILK!
*Doug takes a drink and grows into a teenager*
DOUG (as a teenager): Which will allow me to grow strong bones, clear skin...
*Doug takes another drink and grows into his present self*
DOUG: And will make me invincible against Satanic troll attacks! *Walks away*
ROB: *Confused* What? *Get attacked by a Satanic troll*
ANNOUNCER: Milk. It keeps you safe against Satanic troll attacks.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know something? Hey, I love Nostalgia Critic, I love 'em as much as the next person, but I have to admit, it ASTOUNDS me how his fan base NEVER dwindles, NEVER fades away, NEVER fizzles out... I mean you can go back and look at episodes from four and five years ago, and find that people are STILL commenting on them, after all these years; I rewatched his review of ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS a little while ago, and there were comments ranging from a days ago to a few hours ago.

Now there's a dedicated fan base for ya.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I know I said before I didn't really like him, but I enjoyed his last few reviews. I actually really liked his Heavy Metal review. That face he made when the "melt counter" went back down to 4 was priceless.

I also seriously can't tell if Diamanda Hagan is a dude or a chick. I'm leaning towards dude.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I find him extremely unfunny. His reviews are devoid of any actual wit, and so he relies on swears and screaming as crutches. One of the problems with Youtube is that its absolute, unrestrained creative freedom leaves room for tons of uncreative people to pump out content. As a result, there are tons of these rant "comedians" reviewing stuff because it's cheap and easy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I "get" his cynical and sarcastic sense of humor, but then again, I'm kind of a cynical and sarcastic person myself, so I guess that I find him to be so funny personally.

Admittedly, the past year or so, his reviews really haven't been quite as funny as they used to be... I haven't seen of the new episodes since his comeback recently, but reading synopsises about the new episodes, I think for "Nostalgia Critic" to review new releases and what have you is kind of a contradiction in terms... I think if he's going to review recent movies and such, then why not just do them as himself rather than as Nostalgia Critic?

Also, it sounds like he's done a LOT of format changing and such, which almost sounds like desperate attempts to keep it "fresh", I don't know.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The screaming really is my only issue with him. I think I posted somewhere that I preferred the Nostalgia Chick, but she's starting to rub me the wrong way. I've actually started to explore the TGWTG website and there are some much better reviewers.

Since my last post I've actually started watching Hagan's reviews and even That SciFi Guy's reviews and find them much more entertaining.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just recently learned that Nostalgia Chick is actually from TN, I was not aware of that.

She's kinda creeperz though, in an Angelina Jolie or Janeane Garfollo (or whatever her name is) sort of way.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I have a cynical sense of humor myself. To me, though, he's like the thousands of other Youtube reviewers. Needlessly profane (I'm definitely not a prude, I just think swears should be used as seasoning for a good sentence, not as its base), obnoxious, and cliched. If you look up Youtube reviews, of any kind, you'll get the same stuff: 1) Screaming, over-the-top performance. 2) Lightening-fast editing and cheap cuts 3) Bad production value 4) Profanity, sexual jokes, a limited vocabulary, and a want of wit 5) Adoring fanboy comments.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll agree, I think at times his swearing could be toned down a notch, or five, but unfortunately, that's kind of the sign of the times, even on just regularly television: even though there's still certain words that aren't allowed on network television, there still seems to be a necessity for people to swear as much as they can or want to, otherwise, it seems like people will think it's "watered down" or something.

On that subject, I think a lot of these adult cartoons (THE SIMPSONS, FAMILY GUY, et al) could really learn a thing or two from RANGO: I wouldn't necessarily say RANGO is exactly a kid-friendly animated movie, but content-wise, the profanity, and all that other stuff really take a backseat to the actual story, whereas adult cartoons on TV, it's just the opposite - how far they can push the envelope as far as content goes comes first, while the stories and plots are an after thought.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't get into the new episodes, I just can't. NOSTALGIA CRITIC has suffered from both Retool and Halfway Plot Switch.

Reviewing movies that have just recently been released (though apparently Doug's policy is he won't review a movie still in theaters)? Strike 1.

The sudden addition of Drop-In Characters, and a whole cast of them at that? Strike 2.

Changing the format from simply reviewing movies and such to trying to make the reviews more like sketch comedy...

You know what? I still have more on my list of grievences and already that's three strikes against the new NC episodes.

Oh, and please don't get me started on those episodes where the Critic does his reviews from the midsts of fan cons, those are the worst.