The New Am I The Only One Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I remember my 13-year-old self had a dislike for old 70's music.... Oh man, how stupid was I at that time. :big_grin:

Am I the only one who's went through a goth phase?

Let me tell you, one of the WORST phases I've been through in my life.
I went through a goth phase. I was too smiley for it, so I ended up being more like the Joker. LOL! But I was actually more inspired by Bowie than Bauhaus. I still listen to both.

.​
I rarely take any photos, but here's a one of me at the time, sans black lipstick, circa 1991. I did dye my blonde hair black, however. Hehe. But, no, I don't regret it. Much like the Muppets, I embrace variety in life. Many Goths didn't. I loved 70's music then and I still still do now. Joe Stummer was a god. Many Goths were like other types of groups. It's kind of like a phrase I once heard: You non-conformists are all alike. Ha! I can't stomach singular thinking just as I can't stomach self-serving thinking. The world is bigger than that.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I went through a goth phase. I was too smiley for it, so I ended up being more like the Joker. LOL! But I was actually more inspired by Bowie than Bauhaus. I still listen to both.

.​
I rarely take any photos, but here's a one of me at the time, sans black lipstick, circa 1991. I did dye my blonde hair black, however. Hehe. But, no, I don't regret it. Much like the Muppets, I embrace variety in life. Many Goths didn't. I loved 70's music then and I still still do now. Joe Stummer was a god. Many Goths were like other types of groups. It's kind of like a phrase I once heard: You non-conformists are all alike. Ha! I can't stomach singular thinking just as I can't stomach self-serving thinking. The world is bigger than that.
Hehe, never thought I'd see the Joker being compared to gothic culture...

But yeah, it's definitely a phase I never want to go through again. I was online dating a girl who turned out to be underage (due bare in mind, it was one of those instances where the appearance makes one look older; in this case, a then-11-year-old, now 18, who looked 17; I was 18 at the time), but her and I had alot in common and she had feelings for me, likewise for me in return. But she too was going through a goth phase and that just kind of absorbed into my blood (but even beforehand, I always thought goth girls were pretty cute.... Dark and mysterious), but during my phase, it did make me a bit anti social and just made me feel like I hated myself. Almost lost some friends cause of that phase. But, months later, I slowly began to revert back to my old self.

(The black hair looks nice by the way).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Hehe, never thought I'd see the Joker being compared to gothic culture...

But yeah, it's definitely a phase I never want to go through again. I was online dating a girl who turned out to be underage (due bare in mind, it was one of those instances where the appearance makes one look older; in this case, a then-11-year-old, now 18, who looked 17; I was 18 at the time), but her and I had alot in common and she had feelings for me, likewise for me in return. But she too was going through a goth phase and that just kind of absorbed into my blood (but even beforehand, I always thought goth girls were pretty cute.... Dark and mysterious), but during my phase, it did make me a bit anti social and just made me feel like I hated myself. Almost lost some friends cause of that phase. But, months later, I slowly began to revert back to my old self.

(The black hair looks nice by the way).
Oh my gah! Yeah, online stuff can be sketchy. That's why I use my real name and choose to only intimately associate with people who do too. Catfishing and such. Eugha! Yeah, and the Joker isn't really goth. Harley, on the other hand, kinda is. I still see her as a troubled superhero. Haha! I mostly did the Goth thing because I was already pale and it was something I could do effortlessly well. I also like the gender-bending aspects of things. If some people like those norms, that's cool, but I never much liked those arbitrary rules and chose to play around with all of that as a teen and in my early 20's. It was fun while it lasted. I made friends and never really lost any. That's a very rare thing. My oldest friend I've had since 1983. I dated her twice in Jr high and she's now a lesbian. Ha! My unsolicited advice is to not regret the things you like like this. You'll be much more glad that you did something than nothing in those days. They also make good stories later on. Sameness for the sake of sameness is boring. Just be kind and be you and it'll all work itself out. :smile:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score

.​
Again, you look very nice. :smile:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Am I the only one who honestly doesn't think Kermit and Ernie sound alike?

Maybe with Steve Whitmire... Sure(?) But not with Henson.

I found Jim's Ernie has a rubbery consistency in his voice while Kermit has a nasal. Maybe towards the 80's their voices started to sound a bit similar, but not alot.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's subtle differences to their voices, yes, but it's mostly the inflections and mannerisms, but otherwise, their voices sound very, very similar.

Same with Bert and Fozzie: Fozzie's voice is a tad higher, more youthful, and his inflections tend to really enunciate words, whereas Bert is slighter deeper and more straightforward in his inflections.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Fozzie I can sort of see similarty.

And then again, once upon a time Grover once sounded like Cookie Monster.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Am I the only one who things Smarty (from the new EW) has an oodles-n-oodles adorably cute voice? Ordinarily?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has a really bad sailor mouth when driving?

Like, I avoid racial slurs and stuff like that of course, but oh man, you **** me off on the road and I'm just a totally different person.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has a really bad sailor mouth when driving?

Like, I avoid racial slurs and stuff like that of course, but oh man, you **** me off on the road and I'm just a totally different person.
My dad has one too.