1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The New "Am I the Only One" Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jun 17, 2008.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Give the government SOME credit... places of business do lower their flags to half mass out of respect.
    The public doesn't WANT gun control apparently... there's two sides to that argument:
    1. People argue that people who have permits to own guns, or other personal weaponry, that they have an "angle" for owning one in the first place... like take a few years ago, I was at a gas station when the car broke down, and a gentleman offered to give us a jumpstart, he had a handgun in his belt, he had a permit to carry one (and he was an ex-cop), then this busybody lady sees the handle coming out of his belt, and she's all, "OMG!!! HE'S GOT A GUN!!! HOW DO WE KNOW HE'S NOT GONNA OPEN FIRE ON ALL OF US?!!" Because, like, why else would someone own a gun, unless they have plans to snap and open fire on everybody?
    2. Other people argue that not having guns only provokes people into other forms of crime and violence... apparently not allowing people to have guns deprives them of... something...

Hey, that may have been a service to all mankind... :)
  2. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Uh...no. People are just ignorant.

Did you ever notice that you don't have huge shootings on this scale in the south? All reports of gun violence are in the north where less people own guns. More people in the south own guns and there aren't as many mass shootings. When was the last time you ever heard of a shooting at a gun show? Gee. I wonder why :smirk:

Again, no amount of gun control is going to keep guns out of these crazy people's hands. There are plenty of outlets to get illegal guns. And stricter gun control is just going to result in crazies getting illegal guns while responsible people have to go through a whole process to buy one.

Again, it's not an issue with guns. It's an issue with people wanting to find blame in something else and not taking responsibility. NO NORMAL PERSON wakes up one day and says "I'm gonna shoot up a school." They have mental issues that were never addressed. And the family and friends are the ones who are responsible for letting it happen. They should have seen the signs and got the person help.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Here's the argument on gun control. Doing something doesn't work, so we might as well do nothing. That's the same argument that's always put forth every single time. If it works it does, if it doesn't it doesn't. It's a LOT better than doing nothing. Sarge made a point. People who are responsible and have only a couple for hunting/sporting reasons are careful and responsible. I don't see why we can't have laws protecting responsible gun owners while keeping illegal firearms off the streets and making sure war weaponry is illegal in the hands of civilians. There's a way to make both sides happy without getting heavy handed.

The reason this kid had access to them was that his mother had them. Signs are pointing to survivalist wackjob who bought 3 assault rifles in case of the economic collapse that's never going to be as severe as the paid nutjob talking heads keep saying. After a while she knew her kid was mentally ill. Responsible owner or not, you don't keep something that potentially dangerous as far away from someone in your house who's a potential danger to themselves and others. Sell them. Get rid of the magazines. Keep them at a locker at the shooting range. I keep hearing that state has the toughest gun regulation in the country, yet how did the mother get 3 assault rifles? Yes. The kid could have attacked in various other ways. He could have got a regular shot gun that had to be constantly reloaded giving people time to escape. He could have used a knife like the guy in China (where... oh look at that, they were all injuries). Various scenarios could have played out. But the bottom line is a mentally ill person had access to dangerous fire arms that shouldn't even be legal and the mother never gave a second thought about it because she was more worried about some crazy survivalist nonsense than her own kid. School shooting nothing. Kid could have easily turned the gun on himself too. That's good parenting right there.

One last thing. I LOVE the whole "stop blaming stuff" concept. Sure, I don't like censoring movies and video games because of the millions of people who watch those things and know that there's a clear cut difference between reality and fantasy. But when we "blame" something, we're looking at different angles of what went wrong so we can learn from it. Everyone shrugs that off, says "it's an incedent that would have happened no matter what." and it happens again. We're like on, what? Our third gun tragedy of the year?
    newsmanfan likes this.
  4. Sgt Floyd

I'm not saying you shouldn't blame things, I'm saying people need to stop pointing fingers at an easy scapegoat and consider all the aspects and details of the situation before jumping to conclusions.
  5. D'Snowth

Are you kiddin'? Girl, I live in Knoxville, we have shootings ALL THE TIME: domestic shootings, school shootings, mall shootings, church shootings, hospital shootings; I occasionally hear gunshots outside my own window any time of the year (luckily, they're a distance though); we have a LOT of hoods and ghettos in this town, one of our teachers in middle school once almost got mugged by a group of gangbangers that were passing through on our schoolgrounds; and I hear tell Memphis is considerably worse than us... I hear Atlanta ain't much better either.
  6. Sgt Floyd

Well, it's never on the news. Maybe you just live in a really bad area, but where I live, at worst someone might sneak a knife into school and they are too dumb to hide it and get caught :/

Also, my friend, who has lived her entire life in the south, says that she has never heard of a shooting in the south.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but probably not on the scale where it would make news
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There's finger pointing and then there's rational realizations that something isn't right. We have no power over illegal fire arms, we don't treat the mentally ill seriously, and there are little niggling details about societal problems we just don't want to look at. At least until something like this happens, and things get blown out of proportion and we're living in terrible times because it's not the imaginary TV version of the 1950's that never happened anymore.

It's always the same arguments, but the subtlety is lost completely. There is a lot of noise that makes the problem general, but everything is in hindsight.

Still, I never bought Gun Control = Take your guns away. If you're responsible, you have every right to it. Like you said, there's no shootings at gun shows because those people like owning guns and are quite responsible with them. This was irresponsibility on the mother's part. It's easy to say that's blame, but then again these tragedies always get solved in hindsight, but no one wants to work the extra mile to, not quite prevent these from ever happening again, but certainly lowing the likelihood of it happening through calm, detailed steps. Guns are usually the ones that take most of the blame, but logically, anything else you can use as a weapon gives the other person a chance to fight it off. If we can't prevent a tragedy, we can surely lessen the damage by making it slower and escapable.

That said, when these things happen, we don't do anything in hindsight. If it was a "terrorist attack" you can't even leave a bag alone for a minute.
  8. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I know, I know. I'm just saying that throwing iPads at kids at an early age could end up with them being "addicted" of sorts to them to the point where they're doing more of that than being nurtured in a wider variety of ways.
    DannyRWW likes this.
  9. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. Like with most things with children, they should use them when the parents are around for a limited amount of time. All things in moderation.
  10. muppetspot2

muppetspot2 Active Member

am i the only one who hates tangled
  11. D'Snowth

I've never seen it myself, but I do believe that Rapunzel is probably one of my most favorite character designs there ever were... I think it's the long blonde hair, and the huge green eyes...
  12. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Yes you probably are. I loved Tangled.

And as for the kids on electronic devices all I will say is my child will be very limited to any kind of high tech devices. Kids need to socialize and be active not stuck on an iPad 24/7. I worked with kids for 10 years it was quite sad to see kids who didnt even know how to play outside.

I do see technology as a useful educational tool but my child is gonna learn things the old fashioned way. And will be heavily supervised. I can't stand parents who aren't active the way they should be in their child's lives. As a soon to be parent I won't be that person. I want to be there for every single moment and be involved with my child as much I can.
    DannyRWW likes this.
  13. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I'm with you on limiting electronic device use Pinky...we don't let the kids use much...though Hopie is getting a digital camera for Christmas...but thats a little different as I think its more an interest in photgraphy and video making...we do play some video games but always together....
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  14. DannyRWW

and I'm not letting them on to those online fan forums...too addictive....
  15. Pinkflower7783

My saying is I'm your parent not your friend.
    DannyRWW likes this.
  16. DannyRWW

You just have to put up with me giving you parenting advice all the time....but feel free to ignore me :)
  17. DannyRWW

and actually that is the best advice...don't listen to anyone if you don't want to
  18. Pinkflower7783

I just personally feel unless your gonna be a parent, have worked with kids or are a parent it's hard for people to understand.
    DannyRWW likes this.
  19. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Like you said many times before, it's so much easier for them to do the former than the latter. :rolleyes:
  20. Pinkflower7783

My heart just breaks so bad for those families I can't even fathom having to bury your own child. And I hope to god I never do! Those poor kids...and I'm sure their parents had already bought Christmas gifts for them and now their not gonna get to see them get opened on Christmas morning. I'm sure the only gift they want now is their child back. :(

As a soon to be parent it definitely hits an emotional chord.