1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 46 on PBS
    Sesame Street's 46th season officially begins on PBS Monday September 12. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. Electric Mayhem at Outside Lands
    Fans have been waiting forty years for a live concert with Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem and it happened Sunday August 7 at the Outside Lands Music Festival.

The New "Am I the Only One" Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Jun 17, 2008.

1. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

-----------
    Online is safer if their site uses SSL and you're on a secure line...not Wifi. My one ID theft incident was from someone hacking a Redbox machine I used (which is why I no longer bother with them). Never from any of my online activity. Besides, if you disallow sites to save your personal info and just retype it each time, each use...almost no risk. I personally had to bust an employee once who made an illegal charge to a customer's credit card, when I was working at Papa John's. Take basic security precautions and your online transactions will ALWAYS be less of a risk than handing some schmoe your credit card!

-------------

2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why all these people on YT are obsessed with the opening and closing previews of old kids tapes, to the point where they starting making their own for videos that don't even exist?

3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well I'm definitely a fan of celebrating VHS nostalgia, lol. But I didn't know people were making their own, that's...interesting, lol.

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

People on the internet have strange obsessions, and I wonder if autism plays a role in VHS openings/closings as it does production logos (I'm told it does). It's nice to archive this stuff, otherwise we wouldn't get...ahem..."Gems" like this:

The best part comes in at 2:20 something. There is NO WAY that should be lost.

What I never liked was Timon and Pumbaa's Journey in Aladdin with Winnie the Pooh type videos.

heralde likes this.
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

VHS previews aside, don't you just love it whenever some body displays an unusual and curious fascination for some thing, and then it's automatically dubbed autism? I like closing logos too, so I guess I must have autism. Both myself, and another guy I know from YouTube share a fascination with the classic Charley Douglass laugh track, so I guess we're both autistic. Oh, and you know what else? So many people out there really dig retromercials, so I guess they ALL have some form of autism! Yeah!

6. heralde

Yup, guess I've been diagnosed too then! Lol

7. D'Snowth

Yeah, and TV Land is responsible for it, since they used to play retromercials on occasion.

8. heralde

Indeed, it's not vaccines or natural biology that's to blame, but classic Television! The fiends!

BobThePizzaBoy likes this.
  9. Drtooth

Uh... someone who had autism once told me that a large amount of logo enthusiasts are, so... confirmation, maybe? I can't remember which site it was, though. I want to say it was this one, but I remembered asking what the heck the obsession with logos and how scary half of them supposedly are, and that was my answer.

There's a difference between taking an interest in something and being completely absorbed in one very pin point specific strange thing to have an entire youtube channel devoted to one specific logo, repainted, music changed key, and all these weird fan made variants. I know those pages. The ones with 50 different PBS logos that are only different to the skilled eye? I like logos too, but "Timon and Pumbaa's 30 part adventures in 1970's PBS logo That has a Pink tint to it," You have to be completely utterly obsessed with something in particular to want to make that or even watch it.

Then again, there are those who basically archive whatever they have on Youtube because someone out there probably wants it. Like commercial breaks. Nothing too weird about looking for strange old commercials. Making fake ones and putting weird logos that don't go together due to some specific combination? That's weird over specific obsession.

heralde and Oscarfan like this.
  10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

And I seriously don't get all the videos people just have play in reverse. I mean, why?

11. Drtooth

Not that I don't really get it, but what really gets me is when someone has an entire YT page dedicated to the SAME clip backwards. I know someone that had at least several multiple pages devoted to just Frazzle (well, not just backwards, but reuploads of the same skit) and Do De Duck backwards. All with different labels.

12. D'Snowth

Am I the only one tired of every body calling Taylor Swift, "The Country Cutie"? She always came off, to me, looking like a mouse who swallowed a sour mouse.

13. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

Not to mention, she doesn't really do "country" music anymore, they just keep nominating her for awards under that category.

14. D'Snowth

Well, she IS a country artist... but... hehehe, there's one lyric from one of her songs that goes like, "You think an indie record is cooler than mine", or some thing like that... and you know some thing? It's funny, 'cause it's TRUE... ANY indie record is cooler than any of her songs.

15. HeyButtahfly

I certainly wouldn't call that "We are never ever ever getting back together" song country...

16. D'Snowth

Isn't that what all country songs about? Broken hearts?

17. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Don't even get me started on that "back together" song...it's more like a bunch of endless chatter if anything. :rolleyes:

18. HeyButtahfly

Like, ever.

19. D'Snowth

Well, ya know... there's actually been a study:

MOST songs these days are basically the artists singing the exact same thing over and over and over and over again...

Case in point: "I'M WIDE AWAKE... I'M WIDE AWAKE... I'M WIDE AWAKE... I'M WIDE AWAKE..."

20. HeyButtahfly

Or the Friday song... LOL

Muppet fan 123 likes this.